Jazz Musicians We Hate

AllenLowe

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soulive just get's me pissed off. They're so unconsistant. They put out a great funky album, that I can't get enough of, and then they come out with a stupid album like their newest, Breakout. Soulive stepped into the background for their new release.

:tdown:tdown

I agree. They are uncredibly inmusical.

this thread is especially illuminating - when someone like Marcello, who has complained of my negativity, manages to insult not just me but two dead people to whom I was very close - thank you for proving my point, Marcello -

Hey, I was just kidding Allen!

I havn't heard you but a actually love Al and Julius; I know that they are favorites of your also.

Just a innocent joke ( I thought).

Otherwise, I think the thread is useless, at least.

Edited by marcello

Medeski, Martin and Wood - whatever they are, I don't care for it.

Also, though I would NEVER say I "hate" their playing, Arthur Doyle and Noah Howard do drive me up the wall sometimes - ironically, both have either been on or put out some of my favorite records, but it's not what they're doing that I like. Weird, huh?

Ok, I don't really "hate" Butch Miles, I just think of him as Buddy Rich wthout the soul and Sonny Payne without the organic swing. Other than that, beautiful player...

And Bobby Durham I only really hate when he does that 2 & 4 snare rim thing on uptempo tunes. Which is more often than not...

But Bob Buhl... :rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

Well, no disrespect to the man personally, he came through Dallas a bit in the 70s for some reason (maybe when Ella was working the Fairmont, I don't know, I didn't have the money for that scene anyway) and frequently sat in with Marchel Ivery at The Recovery Room and he's a nice guy and all that, but....

And speaking of Marchel and the Bobby Durham 2 & 4 thing, I heard a little while back that a young drummer who was sitting in with Marchel starte doing that on something up, "Dahoud", I think, and that Marchel stopped playing, turned around, and said, "You're stabbing me in the back, man!" Right there in front of everybody!

I guess that since Bobby Durham was a "peer", Marchel never did that to him. But the sins of the father were definitely visited upon the son! :g