Eddie Diehl with Hank Jones

fasstrack

I just wanted to put this out here because I know y'all are jazz listeners of discriminating tastes. Eddie Diehl, one of my oldest friends and a definite mentor on my instrument (guitar---and not just to me) at the ripe age of 69 finally has a date out under his name. Musicians in the know around NY have long known Eddie as one of the most relaxed and swinging guitarists. His style and ideas are his own, too, though right down Bebop Lane. He recorded as a sideman with Jack McDuff, Hank Mobley, and Al Haig among others.

Well, at long last the recalcitrant Mr. Diehl (I used to call him the Garbo of jazz guitar) was corralled into studio and the results made me smile. With Hank Jones as senior partner (and John Webber, bass; Mickey Roker, drums) real, mature, swinging jazz is played here. Eddie is one of those players who burn on a low flame and speak, not scream, highly intelligent thoughts. Hank Jones is, well, Hank Jones. If you're looking for edgy, 'innovative' stuff maybe go to the next CD. But if you want to groove and feel some of life's special feelings get this. You won't be sorry and with more music like this in the world we might just stand a chance. Title: Eddie Diehl with Hank Jones: "Well, here it is" Order online at: www.lineagerecords.com

Not the right place for this!!

I am guessing JohnS meant this should be in the artists or new releases category versus album of the week.

Anyway, thanks for the info - didn't he play on a Hank Mobley album in the late 60s?

Edited by Eric

I am guessing JohnS meant this should be in the artists or new releases category versus album of the week.

Anyway, thanks for the info - didn't he play on a Hank Mobley album in the late 60s?

That's right, artists, recommendations, new releases rather than aotw. Still it's interesting that Eddie Diehl is still active.

Edited by JohnS

1970. "Thinking of Home".

He also worked (with the late Sam Brown also on guitar) and maybe recorded with Miriam Makeba. I'll ask him. There are some other nice dates that I think show Eddie off better than on that Hank record, although it's nice. I like an Al Haig record called "Manhattan Memories". Nice solo on Cedar Walton's "Something in Common" and Al featured him on "My Little Brown Book". That's probably next to impossible to find, but it really sounds like the Eddie I know---and we played together for like 20 years. There are also some McDuff things where he's buried and you can't tell what he can do. Eddie's a quiet player. I think the date that this thread is about is really his best. Hank and Mickey really read his mind and the little bit of trading with hank is really a lovely, swinging conversation among wise men. I know he's proud of it.

Yeah, maybe not the right forum, but definitely the right board! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

What's the deal with Sam Brown anyway? I've been trying to "get a handle" on him forover 30 years and still haven't been able to. Was he a jazzer who couldn't make up his mind? No disrespect, great player on a lot of classic sides, but I've yet to get a real sense of who he was, if you know what I mean.

We can start another thread about this if you like. Just glad to hear that Eddie Diehl is alive and playing!

Yeah, maybe not the right forum, but definitely the right board! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

What's the deal with Sam Brown anyway? I've been trying to "get a handle" on him forover 30 years and still haven't been able to. Was he a jazzer who couldn't make up his mind? No disrespect, great player on a lot of classic sides, but I've yet to get a real sense of who he was, if you know what I mean.

We can start another thread about this if you like. Just glad to hear that Eddie Diehl is alive and playing!

It's a sad story. I knew him a bit when I was just 'out the crib'. He was a tormented guy, though a nice, soulful one. Drugs and drink and then getting crossed signals from AA types who said no drugs and shrinks who gave him industrial strength Thorazine. He wound up offing himself in a way so gruesome I won't divulge it out of respect to his memory. A fucking classic nightmare.

But he was a very original, soulful player. He did some things on nylon string guitar that were uniquely him. But the externals clouded/shut down his capabilities. Also, he's another guy on a million dates that never showed what he could do. I didn't know him as well as Eddie, but he was tight with another guitar player friend of mine and I heard him a bunch in the late 70s. We played once when I was a kid, too. The stuff with Keith Jarrett, the little I admittedly heard, don't make his case at all (though they're good records). I think one thing he did with the Dave Matthews big band came close to what he sounded like.

This one coaxes me out of lurkdom....

Eddie Diehl was recommended to me as an excellent guitar luthier and repairman.....its hard to find someone that really know how to set up an old archtop.

....so I gave a call, made an appointment and went off from CT to meet him at his place in Poughkeepsie.

I needed a fret job done and had him set up an old DeArmond pickup on my '34 Gibson L-10.

The guy that told me about him mentioned the recent disc with Hank Jones and some earlier dates with Mobley, Stitt, and McDuff......but I hadn't heard him. Eddie gave me his new CD which I've enjoyed quite alot. Quite a good player. I enjoyed talking him about guitars, but liked the stories about his musical experiences even more....

Anyway....the work he did on my old L-10 was just fantastic....and can't say how fortunate I feel to have hooked up with him.

Yes....move this thread if it must be moved....but don't lose it....check out Eddie Diehl's music.

Di

Looks like a great labor of love label, kinda following in the footsteps of Sharp Nine, only with an emphasis on a few masters we are fortunate to still have around. Nice website design, too.

I have to admit that with the option to download tracks as well as purchasing the CD, I am kinda wondering what the bitrate of the MP3s are. My audio editing software de-compresses MP3 format so I wonder if I can get the same quality music at the download price. Would definitely make it easier to purchase all the releases that interest me!

Looks like a great labor of love label, kinda following in the footsteps of Sharp Nine, only with an emphasis on a few masters we are fortunate to still have around. Nice website design, too.

I have to admit that with the option to download tracks as well as purchasing the CD, I am kinda wondering what the bitrate of the MP3s are. My audio editing software de-compresses MP3 format so I wonder if I can get the same quality music at the download price. Would definitely make it easier to purchase all the releases that interest me!

It's just $16, for chrissakes! And it came the next day! Luke Kaven delivered it himself, CD in mouth and tongue and tail wagging.

OK, I made the last part up.

(But let's face it, we're all friends here, a broke-ass indie label? it was like GEEZ. A CUSTOMER. I'M WETTING MYSELF!)). I'd turn that hunger to my advantage. Er,...wait a minute. I did.....

I guess this isn't the correct forum for this topic, but Eddie Diehl deserves to be better known, and this is as good a place as any. As zizala mentioned, Eddie lives in Poughkeepsie, NY, and makes his living repairing guitars and amps - John Sebastian is probably his best known customer. (An aside - when I met Sebastian at a Jesse Winchester concert in Woodstock a couple of years ago, I mentioned that I'd seen him at a restaurant/bar when Eddie Diehl was playing. He replied, in complete seriousness and sincerity, "He's my idol.")

Eddie plays occasionally in the Poughkeepsie area, and I had the pleasure of having him play at my 60th birthday party a couple of months ago. At the age of 69, he's playing better than he did on the old records. His CD is a fine one, and Eddie is justifiably proud of it, but someone should record him playing live someday.

Seems to be a Flash-based site, so if you got dial-up or any other slower type connection, I suspect that it would be slow.

I'm bummed that they only take Pay-Pal.

They took my debit card. And delivered in one day.

BTW: I answered your query about Sam Brown earlier in the thread. Since you didn't comment I figure you missed it. Or not....