Regina Carter -- opinions??

Rooster_Ties

Regina Carter is performing here in Kansas City next month, and I'm curious what people here think of her? I don't have tickets yet (but could maybe get me some cheap).

I saw her once or twice(?) live (I forget which) -- but quite some time ago (circa 1998? maybe '99 - whenever the last Kansas City International Jazz Fest was - I forget the year). I distinctly remember seeing her as an unbilled sideperson (sidewoman?) - can I just say sideman? - with Steve Turre's group. I may have seen her as a headliner too, but maybe I'm remembering wrong (only the Turre gig sticks in my mind).

Anyway, back then she seemed "good", but not quite ready for prime time - if you know what I mean. In some ways, she seemed like someone with potential, who was probably thrust into the spotlight before her time - simply because she was marketable (not that "marketable" is always a bad thing - though it often is).

Opinions? Should I go? - or save my cowrie shells?

(I've borrowed a disc or two of hers over the years, but she's not enough my thing to have bought any.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I saw her at the Village Vanguard a couple of years ago, and I was completely bored by her performance. There was no comparison to the short list of other jazz violinists I've seen live who I enjoyed immensely--Stephane Grapelli, Mark Feldman and John Blake. I would probably pass if I had the opportunity to see her again, as she really didn't sound to me like a true jazz player. In fairness, others present did appear to be enjoying her playing.

Regina Carter is performing here in Kansas City next month, and I'm curious what people here think of her? I don't have tickets yet (but could maybe get me some cheap).

I saw her once or twice(?) live (I forget which) -- but quite some time ago (circa 1998? maybe '99 - whenever the last Kansas City International Jazz Fest was - I forget the year). I distinctly remember seeing her as an unbilled sideperson (sidewoman?) - can I just say sideman? - with Steve Turre's group. I may have seen her as a headliner too, but maybe I'm remembering wrong (only the Turre gig sticks in my mind).

Anyway, back then she seemed "good", but not quite ready for prime time - if you know what I mean. In some ways, she seemed like someone with potential, who was probably thrust into the spotlight before her time - simply because she was marketable (not that "marketable" is always a bad thing - though it often is).

Opinions? Should I go? - or save my cowrie shells?

(I've borrowed a disc or two of hers over the years, but she's not enough my thing to have bought any.)

Must confess, I've never heard any other jazz violinists live in person before (other than her a bunch of years ago).

Yes, that means (totally hangs head in shame :ph34r: ), I never caught Fiddler Williams live - though I probably had the chance on a number of ocasions (if I had made the effort).

Sounds like maybe she's still not ready for prime time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I forgot to mention Charlie Burnham, another really good violinist I've had the good fortune to see in person.

I'm never quite sure when I have such a negative reaction if I am at fault, but given that the Vanguard is my favorite place to listen to music, I'm pretty receptive to music there.

To me, she's a "good player" who doen't interest me at all. No "abandon" in her playing, and not enough of anything else to make for a compelling listen. I'd go if I wanted/needed a night out or just wanted to support live jazz, good reasons both, but not if I wanted to really get into the music.

To me, she's a "good player" who doesn't interest me at all. No "abandon" in her playing, and not enough of anything else to make for a compelling listen. I'd go if I wanted/needed a night out or just wanted to support live jazz, good reasons both, but not if I wanted to really get into the music.

That's about what I thought 7/8 years ago.

Anyone heard her work with Mark Helias? That's an association I wouldn't have expected, & I was curious if that album was worth checking out.

All I've heard are the duos with Kenny Barron--booorring. But what's she been doing in the years since then anyway?

Speaking o' Burnham, just got the new Odyssey disc on Pi in the mail & am looking forward to a spin later this morning. Yeah, he's a terrific player.

She played quite well on a recent Jazz at Lincoln Center broadcast of Randy Weston performing his "Ancient Futures" suite (in my opinon).

I agree with Lon. I think she sounds fantastic on several things I've heard. Actually I've enjoyed her appearances on recordings as a sideperson more than I have her own cds. Overall, I'd say she's a bad mutha on the fiddle!

I thought she was "fine" but nothing special when I heard her.

Charles Burnham is very good, though it has been some time since I've seen him play live. Seeing the old Ibarra trio with him and Cooper-Moore was quite an experience - in fact, I think I saw their last show as a group before C-M was fired (or whatever).

Did get the pleasure to see Fiddler Williams at a church in Topeka, Kansas many years ago. I was a kid, but even with my feeble mind of the time, he was fantastic.

Saw Leroy Jenkins solo (twice) and on occasions with the reunited Revolutionary Ensemble and the Myra Melford-Jarman-Jenkins trio. He is a master!

Would like to have been able to see Alan Silva, Michel Samson and Ornette in their violin-playing prime!

As long as we're name-dropping: Billy Bang. The guy never fails to get a rise outta me (and such passion!).

And CT--good call on Samson. I dug the Paris Transatlantic piece on the Slug's sides--they're still some of my favorite music. I was in early High School when I heard Volume 1--my first Ayler. It was the dead of winter... I was on a break, listening to the sonic vestiges of the revolution--heated the place (and my soul) right up.

End tangent--like others, I'm ambivalent on Carter. Unaffected, but open to more.

Well, I just disagree with most of you. I think that she is great live. I have seen her three or four times in the past five years and she has blown me away every time. I think that she plays with a lot of abandon and is a very interesting soloist. I am scratching my head at the lukewarm comments here. Maybe I have been lucky to catch her every time on great nights for her.

Well, I just disagree with most of you. I think that she is great live. I have seen her three or four times in the past five years and she has blown me away every time. I think that she plays with a lot of abandon and is a very interesting soloist. I am scratching my head at the lukewarm comments here. Maybe I have been lucky to catch her every time on great nights for her.

I saw her live a few months ago too.

She & her group were just fine.

As long as we're name-dropping: Billy Bang. The guy never fails to get a rise outta me (and such passion!).

Right, thanks for the reminder. I saw him lead an orchestra piece dedicated to his time in Vietnam, and featuring Frank Lowe as a main soloist (RIP). Pretty fucking immense shit. Must've been one of Frank's last performances, as it was in 2001.

Rooster, Definitely go. I saw her at the VV with the Lewis Nash group as well, along with Mulgrew Miller and Steve Nelson. Regina was amazing. Personally, I dug the Kenny Barron/Regina Carter Freefall. For a refreshing change of pace, listen to Paganini: After A Dream - a mix of Latin, classical and jazz. It's a beautiful album. There's also a great story behind the violin she plays. Purists and police - don't even bother.

f82358ancym.jpg

Rooster, Definitely go. I saw her at the VV with the Lewis Nash group as well, along with Mulgrew Miller and Steve Nelson. Regina was amazing. Personally, I dug the Kenny Barron/Regina Carter Freefall. For a refreshing change of pace, listen to Paganini: After A Dream - a mix of Latin, classical and jazz. It's a beautiful album. There's also a great story behind the violin she plays. Purists and police - don't even bother.

f82358ancym.jpg

What Ron said.