Uptown

mgraham333

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To belatedly answer Bertrand's question about the unissued Freddie Redd. It was recorded the day after Lonely City with Duvivier and Riley. Seven tunes were recorded. The info was in the Mosaic/Redd booklet and is listed in Bruyninckx. I have copies of the tapes, but no copies of the studio log to sort out takes, etc.

To belatedly answer Bertrand's question about the unissued Freddie Redd. It was recorded the day after Lonely City with Duvivier and Riley. Seven tunes were recorded. The info was in the Mosaic/Redd booklet and is listed in Bruyninckx. I have copies of the tapes, but no copies of the studio log to sort out takes, etc.

Hi Chuck,

If you are interested, I have Freddie Redd's current phone number. He's in Los Angeles, and not doing very well. He was borrowing money from a mutual friend recently.

Adam

• 10 months later...

Evan, that Uptown booklet is so thorough. . . I would be surprised if anyone here really could expand that significantly.

From what I know about mental illness. . . a) that booklet rang true and b) knowing more may not be that great.

it is a GREAT booklet! still, i amcurious why he got the mental illness/emotional problem tag. :mellow:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Chuck used to have the Uptown recordings, but my understanding is not any more. At least that's what he told me a few months ago when I asked about buying a couple from him along with a Nessa disc. So I doubt if he has any Reservoir CDs (correct me please if I'm wrong, Chuck) .

Best place to get them is directly at their website

http://www.reservoirmusic.com/

• 7 months later...

i think "uptown" does it again!

"When Columbia Records released the Minneapolis' after hours recordings of Charlie Christian, the listener was warned, 'The technical quality of these selections is admittedly inferior to the commercial recordings.' Not anymore! New digital transfers from the original acetates restore the sound quality. Dating from 1939-40, Christian leaps into the room with his driving rhythm guitar and ultra-modern solos." no more informations.

post-1254-0-45267100-1309978297_thumb.jp

just ordered it!

keep boppin´

marcel

Worlds Records also shows this Uptown release:

GIGI GRYCE

DOIN' THE GIGI

Description

Alto saxophonist Gigi Gryce's last ensemble was an outstanding sextet called the "Orchtette" that featured trumpeter Richard Williams, vibraphonist Eddie Costa and pianist Richard Wyands. Active during 1960-61, the band has only been documented up to now on five tracks of of an LP for the Mercury label. This new Uptown CD provides further fascinating examples of the "Orch-tette" recorded in performance at Birdland and in two studio sessions from which nothing was ever released. Within a year, he had left the jazz world never to be seen again. These recordings not only provide high quality music in the hard-bop genre but also serve as important and revealing additions to Gryce's legacy.

:rolleyes:

GIGI GRYCE

DOIN' THE GIGI

Description

Alto saxophonist Gigi Gryce's last ensemble was an outstanding sextet called the "Orchtette" that featured trumpeter Richard Williams, vibraphonist Eddie Costa and pianist Richard Wyands. Active during 1960-61, the band has only been documented up to now on five tracks of of an LP for the Mercury label. This new Uptown CD provides further fascinating examples of the "Orch-tette" recorded in performance at Birdland and in two studio sessions from which nothing was ever released. Within a year, he had left the jazz world never to be seen again. These recordings not only provide high quality music in the hard-bop genre but also serve as important and revealing additions to Gryce's legacy.

:rolleyes:

GIGI GRYCE

DOIN' THE GIGI

Description

I missed that thread somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

Worlds Records info about the Christian Uptown:

Songs: Personnel Details:

Tea For Two (a)

Stardust (a)

I Got Rhythm (Take 1) (a)

I Got Rhythm (Take 2) (a)

Flying Home (b)

Memories Of You (b)

AC DC Current (b)

Flying Home (b)

Shivers (b)

Seven Come Eleven (Roast Turkeys Stomp) (b)

AC DC Current (b)

AC DC Current (b)

Dinah ©

Gone With What Wind ©

Sheik Of Araby ©

Sheik Of Araby ©

Six Appeal ©

Artists: a- Charlie Christian Quartet- 1939 After Hours Jam Session; b- Benny Goodman Sextet- 1939-1940 Broadcasts; c- same as 'b', Johnny Guarnieri In Place Of Fletcher Henderson