Album of The Week: July 27-August 2

Soul Stream

Jack McDuff - Moon Rappin' (click here to buy)

452479.jpg

Pretty lightweight stuff in a way. But a real fun album to listen to with a lot of different things going on. I'd like to hear everyone's take on this one. Definately from an odd time in the Blue Note era, and jazz in general. This one encompasses soul jazz moving into fusion with a touch of psychedellics at times. Pretty wild, and one that I find myself listening to quite a bit during the summer months.

So, I could have picked more "important" albums. But, here's one for the kid in all of us! :D

ENJOY!

Fascinating selection for an AotW.

When I first heard this (as part of the most recent Rare Groove releases), I thought it was one of the strangest pre-1970's Blue Note albums I'd ever heard. And really, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything else like it - not even remotely.

This should be a good discussion, on lots of different levels. I’m looking forward to revisiting this one, and participating in the discussion.

Pretty lightweight stuff in a way.

Well...that's pretty much my thoughts on this one. I dig McDuff, but I have a feeling that's pretty much HIS thoughts on it. I think it was a commercial effort. Brother Jack was trying for a big seller and if this was on at a party I'd probably be perfectly content. I remeber I dug the opening tune but got kind of bored with the rest of it. When McDuff hit the last track he did a standard groove blues and that sounded great...and I have a feeling that was the one HE enjoyed.

:angry:

Damn, I've been looking at this one for a while and just tried to order it from Mosaic as a part of the promotion, but it's not available right now. :angry:

They have them at Amazon.com, used for @ 8 bucks. I haven't checked half.com but I'm sure they probably have a few. Also, I would think Tower, ect. would have them online....

Pretty lightweight stuff in a way.

Well...that's pretty much my thoughts on this one. I dig McDuff, but I have a feeling that's pretty much HIS thoughts on it. I think it was a commercial effort. Brother Jack was trying for a big seller and if this was on at a party I'd probably be perfectly content. I remeber I dug the opening tune but got kind of bored with the rest of it. When McDuff hit the last track he did a standard groove blues and that sounded great...and I have a feeling that was the one HE enjoyed.

I thought about other albums that were more straight-ahead organ endeavors like "Grantstand" or "The Sermon", ect. However, I think "Moon Rappin'" shows the B3 shifting with the times. I Don't know if Jack liked it or not, but I think this commercial outing actually shows a different (and damn adaptable) side of his playing. I'm a big fan of Jack McDuff, and even though "Moon Rappin'" and the follow up, "To Seek A New Home" take a different route to Groovesville than his earlier stuff.... it's still some of his best work... in that it points towards the acid jazz movement of the 90's almost more than any other album of the era. If you think it's sheer commercial garbage, try McDuff's "Kisses" for a relative viewpoint. ;)

Is it "Grantstand,:" or "Brother Jack Meets The Boss?" No. But I would ask that you please give it another try Harold. There's some very nice musical elements happening here that I think go beyond the perceived 70's-itis the cover suggests.

I picked up a used TOCJ a few years ago and have really enjoyed it ever since. It definitely sounds of the era, but really doesn't sound that dated to me. It is very unique in McDuff's catalog and quite frankly, is probably my favorite of his. To me, there is more burn or intensity in his playing here than on his pure funk stuff. Great pick!

Eric

:angry:

Damn, I've been looking at this one for a while and just tried to order it from Mosaic as a part of the promotion, but it's not available right now. :angry:

I threw in a note with my Mosaic order asking them to ship this title if they had it available. The box just came to my office, and the CD was inside. Big thumbs up to Mosaic! :tup

Hey Vibes,

Thanks for going to the trouble to buy it. I'm glad you got it, and I don't think you'll regret the purchase. Can't wait to hear yours (and everyone else's) take on it. No "serious" listening required, just sit back and grooooooove.... :D (poolside or a night-time drive are both suggested summer listening times for this one! ;) )

Edited by Soul Stream

Just tell your wife you're going out for some milk and bread and come back with "Moon Rappin." :D

Just tell her it's "necessities!" You won't be lyin'! ;)

Besides, I thought you got this from BMG awhile back!

Another suggested listening environment: cruisin' down the highway!!! In fact, I gotta hit the highway in a little bit to pick up the family from the airport. Thanks for reminding me of this one.

This is perhaps the MOST FUN album that's been selected! :party::D:party::D:party:

Edited by Big Al

Damn, Big Al. Good memory. I actually didn't get any of those BMG's. I got the bill in the mail (they want you to pay first now) and the wife saw it and said "No!" We're buying a house right now, so she has the right away, if you know what I'm saying.

I'll probably try signing up again for BMG. This time, I'm paying with the old plastic!

:tup First AOTW I have and can comment on. I am infinitely jealous of everyone's cool music collections...

I have been playing the plastic off MOON RAPPIN' since getting it earlier this year. I like everything about it, weird vocals and all. :tup :rsmile:

I agree that this is probably the "most fun" AOTW selected so far.

First impressions of this album: where can I get more music like this? Of all the Rare Grooves I've purchased, this is definitely in my top 3. I got it in the mail late last week, and have listened to it several times since.

I wish it was a bit more spacey than it already is, but I'm glad Brother Jack didn't overdo it to the point of sounding cheesy.

"Oblighetto" is probably my favorite track on the album, followed closely by the title track. I wish they had used Jean DuShon's voice on more than just "Oblighetto." It gives the track a very spacey/eerie vibe, and I really like that.

Thumbs up to Soul Stream for picking a great album! :tup

Thanks Vibes, glad you dug it! The only other album that comes close to this one, but not really as good is Jack McDuff's follow up, "To Seek A New Home." Also on Blue Note. It's of the same ilk, but not as "magical" imho. But if you come across it on vinyl, pick it up. It's a very worthwhile companion to "moon rappin'" and has some great funky and spacey moments as well.

I, as well, dig Jean DuShon's vocals on "Obleghetto." It really adds tot he vibe (no put intended ;) ).

I'm glad I could turn you on to this album Vibes. If you're anything like me, you'll enjoy it for a long time to come.... :D

Edited by Soul Stream

Not particularly interested in this week's AOW but I am surprised to learn that Jean DuShon sings on the album. I have her two, or maybe three, albums on Argo. The one with the Ramsey Lewis Trio is pretty nice.

I'm surprised you're not on this one Dan. I mean, it DOES have organ on it. ;)