2006 Grammy Winners

7/4

And the winners are:

Category 45 - Best Contemporary Jazz Album

(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

* The Way Up

Pat Metheny Group

[Nonesuch]

Category 46 - Best Jazz Vocal Album

(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of VOCAL tracks.)

* Good Night, And Good Luck.

Dianne Reeves

[Concord Jazz]

Category 47 - Best Jazz Instrumental Solo

(For an instrumental jazz solo performance. Two equal performers on one recording may be eligible as one entry. If the soloist listed appears on a recording billed to another artist, the latter's name is in parenthesis for identification. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Why Was I Born?

Sonny Rollins, soloist

Track from: Without A Song - The 9/11 Concert

[Milestone]

Category 48 - Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group

(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

* Beyond The Sound Barrier

Wayne Shorter Quartet

[Verve]

Category 48 - Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album

(For large jazz ensembles, including big band sounds. Albums must contain 51% or more INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

* Overtime

Dave Holland Big Band

[sunnyside/Dare2]

Category 50 - Best Latin Jazz Album

(Vocal or Instrumental.)

* Listen Here!

Eddie Palmieri

[Concord Picante]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rarely does one see so much mediocrity assembled in one show. From what I have seen, so far, this has got to be the most embarrassing Grammy show. Now we know what all that payola has bought.

BTW, who was that woman screaming with Bono? She was outrageously awful. And the audience screams with delight--what are these people smoking?

Rarely does one see so much mediocrity assembled in one show. From what I have seen, so far, this has got to be the most embarrassing Grammy show. Now we know what all that payola has bought.

BTW, who was that woman screaming with Bono? She was outrageously awful. And the audience screams with delight--what are these people smoking?

I'm more outraged at the unfathomable, persistent popularity and worship of all things U2/Bono!

We're just getting started here in the mountain states. During the live performances does anyone else notice the young people near the stage, standing and clapping with their arms waving in the air? Evident during the Stones Superbowl performance as well. These people have to be props - paid, enthusiastic, phony fans. If you look beyond the screaming employees - the crowd is motionless and silent....and probably bored to death. God, what an awful production. Does it get worse every year? Sure seems like it.

We're just getting started here in the mountain states. During the live performances does anyone else notice the young people near the stage, standing and clapping with their arms waving in the air? Evident during the Stones Superbowl performance as well. These people have to be props - paid, enthusiastic, phony fans. If you look beyond the screaming employees - the crowd is motionless and silent....and probably bored to death. God, what an awful production. Does it get worse every year? Sure seems like it.

The Stones crowd was definitely a prop. they advertised for locals to rush in at halftime, show some love, and then get the hell out of there at the end of it. the ads stated "no one over 45 please"

The Stones crowd was definitely a prop. they advertised for locals to rush in at halftime, show some love, and then get the hell out of there at the end of it. the ads stated "no one over 45 please"

Then what the hell were the Stones doing there?

Sly and the Family Stone Tribute -

Eventually Sly comes out with a platnum mohawk and there's two microphones up there. One is for singing and the other is for a talk box (you know...like Peter Framton or Jeff Beck). He starts singing through the talk box mike, which of course is turned down...by the time the sound man notices, Sly is singing through the other mike and keeps switching back and forth. :rofl:

As for the band, I think they could have used another guitar player and a few more singers.

Then what the hell were the Stones doing there?

Reminds me of the time I saw a MTV special with Aerosmith. I think they were twice the age of anyone in the audience.

Now Herbie Hancock is accompanying a total destruction of Leon Russell's "A Song for You." This poor woman is simply clueless and Herbie is aiding and abetting. Horrible, and the crowd loves it! Well, at least the hired audience does.

I like Gwen better when she sounds like a chipmonk.

The local NYC CBS news anchor dummy, Roz Abrams, called this "one of the most spectacular Grammy shows ever," adding that "it rocked." What was she smoking. I think the performances were mostly putrid and the production truly sucked. As usual, no jazz. Well, with very few exceptions, no music. :tdown

Looks like they have escalated the "Trustee" and "Lifetime Achievement" award giving.

Pistons 97 Clippers 87

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) - Tayshaun Prince scored 22 points to

help the Detroit Pistons snap the L-A Clippers four-game winning

streak 97-to-87.

The Clippers were without Sam Cassell, who sat out with back

spasms.

The Pistons have beaten the Clippers seven straight times.

Rasheed Wallace had 19 points for Detroit while Chauncey Billups

added 18 points.

Elton Brand led the Clippers with 30 points, and Cuttino Mobley

added 27.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

AP-NY-02-08-06 2233EST

Now Herbie Hancock is accompanying a total destruction of Leon Russell's "A Song for You." This poor woman is simply clueless and Herbie is aiding and abetting. Horrible, and the crowd loves it! Well, at least the hired audience does.

Indeed. What's with HH? I caught him on Tokyo tv gushing forth about the wondrous talents of said female vocalist.

7/4: "I like Gwen better when she sounds like a chipmonk."

Who is Gwen?

The woman who sang with Herbie. Gwen Stefani from the band No Doubt, now on a solo thing. She used to sing in a high alto/soprano, now she's singing with this r&b voice.

7/4: "I like Gwen better when she sounds like a chipmonk."

Who is Gwen?

The woman who sang with Herbie. Gwen Stefani from the band No Doubt, now on a solo thing. She used to sing in a high alto/soprano, now she's singing with this r&b voice.

I was not watching since I was working but heard it and it's Christina Aguamalaria that was singing w/ HH - since she's on his newer album ...

Stefani is preggers now ... she was in "The Aviator" and has legs that you shoulod all know about!!!! I think she might have an inseam of about five feet. and her shit is bananas ... B.A.N.A.N.A.YES.! my daughter loves her so the room posters are just fine! :wub:

4.jpg

Now what about Sam Moore blowing the lyrics to Wilson Pickett . sheesh!

happy to report I had never heard that U2 "song of the year"! Yay for me!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

2006 Grammy Awards

BEST ALBUM NOTES

"The Complete Library Of Congress Recordings By Alan Lomax," John

Szwed, album notes writer (Jelly Roll Morton) (Winner)

BEST HISTORICAL ALBUM

"The Complete Library Of Congress Recordings By Alan Lomax," Jeffrey

Greenberg & Anna Lomax Wood, compilation producers; Adam Ayan & Steve

Rosenthal, mastering engineers (Jelly Roll Morton) (Winner)