Calling Ed Swinnich

Soul Stream

The rule is that whoever is picked to moderate the Album of the Week (and they pick the album everybody listens to that week), they also get to pick who the next person is who moderates the next week's album of the week.

Then that person picks an album, gets the ball rolling, and they pick the next person.

Simple as that. Just get in cozy with whoever is "it", and get 'em to pick you next.

Where do you register for the AOW Club?

It seems like AOW is a "hot potatoe" thing. You get it and throw it to someone else. How people pick the next one seems pretty random. For me, Ed has been gracious enough to send cdrs of hard-to-find or oop titles to me over the last year or so. This is just a little way to "pay back" Ed for all the goodwill.

Also, knowing how deep ED is into the music. I'm really interested in what he would choose. :D

You know, I have not really participated in the AOW threads - so I'm not sure what the protocol is here. Do I just pick anything that I think is worthy and that several people will have? If you don't have it, do you head out and pick up a copy?

Just pick anything you like, perhaps a “classic title” that you think many of us will already have - or something that would be easy enough to find (in stock) at our favorite shiny-disc-emporium (preferably a “mid-line” priced title, perhaps, which might be easier on the pocketbook - or at least that’s something to think about).

Some people (myself included) have started polls with half-a-dozen titles that they're thinkin' about choosing for their AOTW, to solicit feedback about what to choose.

Simple as that. Just get in cozy with whoever is "it", and get 'em to pick you next.

Ed, you are my best friend in all the world, you have impeccable taste, and you are also the most generous man I've ever had the pleasure of conversing with online.

And I'm not just saying that in yet another desperate attempt to be chosen to lead the next AOW!!!

Simple as that.  Just get in cozy with whoever is "it", and get 'em to pick you next.

Ed, you are my best friend in all the world, you have impeccable taste, and you are also the most generous man I've ever had the pleasure of conversing with online.

And I'm not just saying that in yet another desperate attempt to be chosen to lead the next AOW!!!

If it's any consolation, you were my next "go to" guy Al! :D So in the event that Ed Swinnich cannot complete the duties of his AOW Crown, you as the AOW runner-up, will do so. ;)

Is it possible that we add another "Pinned Item" to the Album of the Week forum listing the previous album of the weeks?

I haven't participated in this fine tradition yet either, due mostly to the fact that I don't own most of the discs that have been featured. I'm starting to wonder what kind of "JAZZ FAN" I really am!

Hey Ed, pick something in my collection! :D:g:excited::rhappy:

Trouble is that I've got about 5 or 10 discs I'd like to pick, each for their own "Album of the Week".

In fact, I'm ruminating on an idea for a pretty off-the-wall title that nobody will have seen coming. It'll take some logistical work on my part, but it'll be work it I think.

More soon, if I can figure out how to make it work, without it costing me an arm and a leg to do.

( It's so weird - and of limited interest (frankly), that I would probably just unilaterally declare it "Rooster's weird album of the month", totally apart from the regular AotW process. It kinda depends on Chuck's reaction to one of the discs I just put in the mail to him yesterday. I'll start a separate thread about it sometime, and try to gauge if there's really any interest or not - and go from there. )

Well, I made my pick for August 3-9th - I think. It was tougher than I thought it would be.

My initial reaction was to pick Matthew Shipp's Equilibrium. I picked this up recently have have been really digging it. But I eliminated it from consideration because I don't think that too many posters have or are inclined to pick it up - especially since it's probably not available everywhere or as a midline price.

My next choice was Gil Melle's 50's set from the BN 10" Conn series. Eliminated for similar reasons. I don't think a lot of posters have it, based on the many posts I see for people looking for it - and I know it's a bear to find.

My 3rd choice was Chick Corea's Return To Forever. I listened to it several times and while I thought it might be a good choice once again availability and price point steared me in another direction.

Which led me to my choice. Stan Getz - Getz/Gilberto. I guessed that this is one that most posters will have or can get their hands on quickly. I'm particularly interested in it - and bossa nova in general for a number of reasons which can be discussed during the week of the 3rd.

At any rate, what do you all think? Anyone want to twist my arm to use one of my other choices?

Also, I had thought of doing a co-album of the week and throwing Getz' Jazz Samba in the mix. Any takers?

I'll post my "official" pick in a day or two.

Also - Do I get to pick the next AOW selector?

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Wonderful choice Ed!!! We haven't done any Bossa stuff as of yet, plus I just recently picked this up and look forward to a chance to really listen deeply.

I knew you'd put a lot of thought into it Ed, and you obviously did. Excellent group of recordings considered, but I think the Getz was the right choice for the reasons you stated.

So, yes, now all you have to do is pick someone for the week after you and you're all set! :D

Edited by Soul Stream