Harp in Jazz

So I was at Dusty Groove, trying to fill in the last of the JiP series (only missing 4 or so of the last installment), and I saw they were pushing this pretty hard.

ashby_dorot_rubaiyato_101b.jpg

Rubaiyat Of Dorothy Ashby

Dorothy Ashby

$11.99 ... CD

List Price: 12.98

(€8.70 || £5.94 || ¥1419) (approx.)

CD (Item 457935) Cadet/Dusty Groove, 1970 -- Condition: New Copy

Incredible work from the amazing Dorothy Ashby -- a brilliant set of funky and spiritual tunes, set to full backings from Chicago soul arranger Richard Evans! This album is easily one of Ashby's greatest, and it's dedicated to the writings of Omar Khayyam -- one of the forces guiding Dorothy's more spiritual sound at the end of the 60s, clearly opened up in a way that's not unlike the direction of Alice Coltrane's work, but a lot more focused and a lot more funky! Ashby not only plays her usual jazz harp, but also koto as well, and even sings a bit too -- and the larger group directed by Evans features work by Stu Katz on vibes and kalimba, Lenny Druss on flutes, and Cash McCall on guitar -- all in a groove that's really a precursor to the Earth Wind & Fire generation of the Chicago scene! Titles include the amazing break "The Moving Finger" -- worth the price of the album alone -- plus "Dust", "Joyful Grass & Grape", "Heaven & Hell", "Wax & Wane", "Shadow Shapes", "For Some When Young", "Myself When Young", and "Drink".

In fact, they had dozens of them. Well, I was mezmerised by the sales pitch and bought one. It turns out that DG is getting into the music label business as well. Anyway, it is a really trippy, sort of hippy-ish CD. I'd say two tracks are fairly interesting, the rest is ok. I'll probably spin it again in a week and see what I think then.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

NOW I can say : "It is possible to swing with a harp !" :cool:

I've found Christine Lutz in France who just recorded an album with his quartet Harpiswing : www.harpiswing.com

UNBELIEVABLE :excited: !!!

Listen to this extract : http://download.yousendit.com/BCEEDC22025CD5BCv

The CD is not yet distributed (they need a distributor, so if you are interested... ;-)

• 8 years later...
  • 7 years later...
5 hours ago, optatio said:

Teupen Play front (Copy).jpg

Teupen Play back (Copy).jpg

Jonny Teupen – Play Harp    ... Repress 1971

With these sidemen, I'd definitely like to hear it!

Okay, there are excerpts on YouTube. Typical 1960's baroque jazz. There are versions of the Händel Concerto by broque ensembles that swing a lot more! The harpsichord sounds awful (the instrument, not the player).