Joey DeFrancesco - Organic Vibes

GA Russell

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had more time to listen to this and...

This is "hands down" Joey Defrancesco's best recording and one of the best jazz organ records ever made.

Damn. Coming from you, Mike, this is very high praise. I'll have to check this one out, for sure.

Hope I'm not overstating the case Jim. I just think if Joey's one of the "legends" and this is one (if not the) best recording he's done, then it should follow that this is one of the great sessions. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to hear it.

This is a smoking session, to be sure. I've been enjoying the hell out of it. I noticed you can test the waters at emusic.com if you can't wait for the CD copy to arrive in the mail.

I think this session blows the Terry Gibbs/Joey D recordings clear out. The material, the players, the vibe. This session burns with intensity, whereas Gibbs' stuff always feels so playful to me. I guess I just prefer Bobby in almost any situation. No disrespect intended to Terry Gibbs of course. Just a matter of preference.

I'd love to hear the good doctor put something out with Bobby!

Mike, how do you feel about Let 'Em Roll? I think this was the first session I heard B-3 and vibes together.

This is a smoking session, to be sure. I've been enjoying the hell out of it. I noticed you can test the waters at emusic.com if you can't wait for the CD copy to arrive in the mail.

I think this session blows the Terry Gibbs/Joey D recordings clear out. The material, the players, the vibe. This session burns with intensity, whereas Gibbs' stuff always feels so playful to me. I guess I just prefer Bobby in almost any situation. No disrespect intended to Terry Gibbs of course. Just a matter of preference.

I'd love to hear the good doctor put something out with Bobby!

Mike, how do you feel about Let 'Em Roll? I think this was the first session I heard B-3 and vibes together.

I LOVE "Let 'Em Roll!" I remember asking Patton about the session and he told me he was very nervous because Hutcherson was on the date. Of course, you'd never know it by listening. :D

Anyway, I'm a real sucker for Hammond B3 + Vibes. Actually Jack McDuff's "Tough Duff" was one of my early favorites in large part I think because the sound of Jack and Lem Wenchester on vibes was so appealing. And let's face it, it don't get much better than Bobby Hutcherson in the vibes department! Yeah, great sonic combination. I love the Gibbs date as well, but he's more in line with Joey musically to begin with. Bobby seems to pull Joey D. out of his comfort zone and takes him to more exploratory heights than the swing thing he loves so much (and plays so damn well!). And George Coleman.... I mean sheeeez...after Coleman plays his shit on Speak Low....Defrancesco has his work cut out for him, and he pulls it. Sometimes I get the feeling on Joey sessions that there's nobody at his level to push him that much. Same reason I like the early Jimmy Smith hard bop sessions. I mean, after Lee Morgan plays...you can't just coast. Jimmy and Joey did a lot of trio records and sometimes it's nice to hear them with more players who can challenge them.

I'm enjoying Organic Vibes, but it's going to take me a little longer to appreciate it fully.

I realize now that it is as advertised - a Joey DeFrancesco album with Bobby Hutcherson. I had unconsciously anticipated a Bobby Hutcherson album with Joey DeFrancesco.

This is more mainstream than that. I still hear plenty of Jimmy Smith, notwithstanding the liner notes to the contrary.

I don't get too many newly recorded albums, so I can't say whether I agree if this is the best of the year so far or not. The last great "new" album I got was Sonny Rollins' Without a Song (The 9/11 Concert). This might be the best newly recorded album I've listened to since then - I'll need more time to make up my mind.

I can't say whether I agree if this is the best of the year so far or not. The last great "new" album I got was Sonny Rollins' Without a Song (The 9/11 Concert). This might be the best newly recorded album I've listened to since then - I'll need more time to make up my mind.

I didn't mean to imply that it was the best Jazz album this year. Just the best modern Jazz Organ album I've heard in a long time, which I don't expect to be topped anytime soon. I don't think too many modern day organ records could compete with Sonny Rollins.... :g Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Yeah, Joey's main direction is always gonna be Jimmy Smith, although he's spreading his wings here a lot more than usual which I really enjoyed.

Coleman is on just 2 tracks and I wish he was on all of them.

I just started listening to this a few minutes ago (I'm on "Little B's Poem" now) and I'm already declaring this the greatest new CD of 2006 thus far...

It's just SO fucking GOOD!!!!! :excited:

I didn't mean to imply that it was the best Jazz album this year. Just the best modern Jazz Organ album I've heard in a long time, which I don't expect to be topped anytime soon.

Soul Stream, I was referring to Alexander's post about it being the best new album of the year so far.

I don't see anywhere in the liner notes that says who is playing on what cuts. How do you know that Coleman is only on two? Is it just from listening?

I'm enjoying it more with each listen. I don't think I like the way they ordered the songs though. About half the songs are modern like I expected, and half are more traditional. The traditional ones remind me of the Jimmy Smith Houseparty album I mentioned above. The copy I have of that is the reconfigured CD version I bought in 1989, with all of the songs recorded at the August 25, 1957, date.

I think I will burn a copy for the car with all of the modern tracks first, and then follow up with the ones that remind me of Jimmy Smith.

By the way, at the end of I Thought About You, somebody (I presume Hutcherson) says, "If you don't like that you don't like (something), haha! Can anybody understand what the word I'm missing is?

Booby breathes like Darth Vader, lol. He sounds like he wants to eat the vibes as he plays. Yeah, he says "ice cream", guess cuz it was a smooth take. I love that "I Thought About You", beautiful. GARussell, Blake has the first solo on "Speak Low", he has the rounder tone while George's is brighter, also Blake does the more "Traneish" (for lack of a better term) licks, like the one in the upper register when hes false fingering. When Coleman solos, he is on the right, and momentarily you hear Byron Landham drop the tempo.......... hey, its really fast!

Also his ex-wife, Gloria Coleman is/was a organist, but I don't belive they recorded together.

Don't think they did either, but I've always enjoyed the quartet date she did for Impulse in 1963, "Soul Sisters," with Grant Green on guitar, Leo Wright on alto, and Pola Roberts on drums. She also showed up on Wright's "Soul Talk" that same year.

Also his ex-wife, Gloria Coleman is/was a organist, but I don't belive they recorded together.

Don't think they did either, but I've always enjoyed the quartet date she did for Impulse in 1963, "Soul Sisters," with Grant Green on guitar, Leo Wright on alto, and Pola Roberts on drums. She also showed up on Wright's "Soul Talk" that same year.

Gloria is a wonderful organist. Perhaps she should have her own thread here.

MG

I've listened to it every night since I opened it up, and with each listen I like it more.

Hey GA, I'm with you on this. I've had this in my car all week and love it more and more. Usually after a few days, a new release inevitiabley yields to an old favorite in the CD Player. Not this one. Hands down the most musical and enjoyable listening experience I've had with a Joey D. release ever. Even though I consider him a master of the highest order, I think this is his first record that pulls it all together. And Bobby Hutcherson really, really, really hits a homerun. Him and Joey compliment each other so well. Byron Landham and Blake are killing as well. And George Coleman's just the icing on the cake.

Can't say enough good stuff about this CD.