Joey DeFrancesco - Organic Vibes

GA Russell

Joey DeFrancesco has a new album due out this Tuesday March 21 called Organic Vibes.

I'm looking forward to this one because it features both Bobby Hutcherson and George Coleman. I would be interested in an album with those two even if DeFrancesco weren't on it.

I've enjoyed DeFrancesco on the Terry Gibbs album Feelin' Good that came out last summer. I don't have many that he's on, but he always cooks on the ones I have.

I'm having trouble imagining what the vibes and organ together sound like. Should be different!

I have one album George Coleman made with Jimmy Smith back in the 50s, called Houseparty. I suppose that was so long ago it is irrelevant to how he will sound with DeFrancesco.

Jim A's friend Ron Blake is also on the album.

DeFrancesco recorded this with Jimmy Smith's 1959 Hammond B-3.

CD Universe says: List Price $18.98; Their Price $15.79; Pre-Order Price $13.29.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! I'll be looking for that one. :excited:

Now, I'm listenning one of the last albums with DeFran :

B000BDIY8Q.08.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

André Ceccarelli Trio - "Avenue des Diables Blues"

with Joey De Francesco (org), Biréli Lagrène (g) and André Ceccarelli (dm)

EDIT :

An exract HERE !

Steven - How do you like this one?

(if this ends up being strike three, I'm not asking again! :P )

Great! I'll be looking for that one. :excited:

Now, I'm listenning one of the last albums with DeFran :

B000BDIY8Q.08.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

André Ceccarelli Trio - "Avenue des Diables Blues"

with Joey De Francesco (org), Biréli Lagrène (g) and André Ceccarelli (dm)

EDIT :

An exract HERE !

Steven - How do you like this one?

Great tempo. Separately, the three musicians are fantastics, and their reunion is quite a success. The eclectic choice of the compositions is interesting, I would recommend it.

Links : Amazon.com, Dreyfus Records, CDUniverse

Bought this yesterday. I'm kind of hit or miss with Joey as far as his recorded output. Some like "Plays Sinatra His Way" I find I listen to a lot. Others, not much. Organic Vibes is great. Hutcherson and Coleman really make this a special item in Joey's catalog. Joey is Joey...burning on all four cylanders all the time, a true master, unbelievable. But, the old timers kind of open this up in a way you'd expect. Highly recommended. (P.S...Coleman is on just 2 tracks and I wish he was on all of them. He only played with another organist on Patton's "Memphis To NY Spirit" and he sounds great with organ)

P.S...the only thing I find a little destracting on the recording (and probably only Jim would even notice) is that they've eq'd the key click up so much it's distracting. Almost more key click than note. But just a small quibble. Great album)

Edited by Soul Stream

Liner Notes:

JOEY DeFRANCESCO : JIMMY SMITH'S 1959 HAMMOND B-3 ORGAN

BOBBY HUTCHERSON : VIBES

RON BLAKE : TENOR & SOPRANO SAXOPHONES

GEORGE COLEMAN : TENOR SAXOPHONE ("SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT" AND "SPEAK LOW")

JAKE LANGLEY : GUITAR

BYRON LANDHAM : DRUMS

great photos from the session

http://joeydefrancesco.com/index2.html

Edited by Soulstation1

He only played with another organist on Patton's "Memphis To NY Spirit" and he sounds great with organ)

There is this one also:

LEAN ON ME

(1972)

scott_shirl_leanonme~_101b.jpg

Shirley Scott 1972

J. Daniel Turner (f,as); George Coleman (ts); Shirley Scott (org); Roland Prince (g); Idris Muhammad (d).

a. (2298) Smile (J. Turner/G. Parsons/C. Chaplin) - 5:34

b. (2299) You Can't Mess Around With Love (Shirley Scott) - 5:54

c. (2300) By The Time I Get To Phoenix (J. Webb) - 8:29

d. (2301) Funky Blues (aka Funky Blue) (Shirley Scott) - 8:33

e. (2302) How Insensitive (N. Gimbel/C.A. (sic) Jobim) - 8:54

f. (2303) Lean On Me (Bill Withers) - 4:50

g. (2304) Royal Love (Shirley Scott) 5:10

h. (2305) Carla's Dance (Shirley Scott) - 5:08

Cadet CA-50025.

you know ya'll are right. I should have thought a little more about it. I'm familiar (all too) with all those albums. That said the Reuben and Patterson are still some of the best organ jazz records ever and I think Coleman makes a huge contribution to both. Can't say the same for Lean On Me as that is more of a commercial session obviously.

Edited by Soul Stream

• 3 weeks later...

I've had more time to listen to this and...

This is "hands down" Joey Defrancesco's best recording and one of the best jazz organ records ever made. I know that's high praise, but this is the record where Joey finally emerges as a totally unique voice. Maybe it's the material and Hutcherson, Coleman ect., that bring it out. I don't know. Maybe since JOS's passing Joey doesn't feel the need to pay tribute to Jimmy any longer with every lick. Or, maybe it's just as simple as it's really all come together for him at this point in his career. All I know is that if you took Jimmy Smith, Larry Young and Groove Holmes, Don Patterson, Charlie Parker and John Coltrane...and put them in a high speed blender...you'd end up with something like Joey D's playing on this recording. Joey's delveloped a style that blends all the best elements of the founding fathers yet has a distinct direction of it's own. In the past I've not been too interested in many of Joey's recordings with the exceptions of "Plays Sinatra His Way" and the recordings he did with Marchel Ivery...simply because his others were so heavily infused with Jimmy Smith. It just made me want to put on a JOS record. But on "Organic Vibes" Joey has shed all that and become his own man on record. He's shredding this music, and at the same time letting it breath. Anyway, kudos to Joey D. on a great recording. I hope we hear more in this direction soon. Him and Hutcherson really have a great chemistry.