2006 MLB Thread

The other thing he does that I think is funny is that he always makes fun of managers when they automatically pull pitchers when they come close to 100 pitches. He refers to it as lazy managing and proclaims that they have to do it because the pitcher might explode!

Buck Showalter, are you listening????

It has become such a common occurance that when I saw Zito pitch for the A's, in Oakland, right before the trade deadline, I was shocked to see him through stay in a game with a pitch count in the 110's.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any manager who considers 100 pitches to be his entire staff's limit is crazy. As Joe Morgan pointed out the other night, some pitchers can throw well over 100 and still be effective while other flame out in the mid-80s. To overlay the same pitch count template on everyone makes no sense at all. It's just a cop out. Not to mention how it can affect your bull pen and suboptimize the contribution a genuine horse can make.

Up over and out.

I keep saying he belongs in the HoF.

Keep saying it. He definitely belongs. Definitely hurt playing for several mediocre teams in Minnesota, Cleveland, Texas, Pittsburgh. I guess he'd have absolutely no chance, despite the best curveball around, if he hadn't had some postseason success in Pittsburgh (and Minnesota).

Sells autographs on his own website: www.bertblyleven.com . At least he sent me one for free when I was in elementary school...

There goes #54 by MVP Ryan Howard!!

Yah.....damn he's good! Another crazy night for the Phils, ever the cardiac kids, but I must admit these young guys are fun to watch. Bullpen lookin' a bit overtaxed these days, hopefully Gordon will be back to form after a couple of appearances. Being a long-time Phils fan, but living in Houston is tough. Nothing against the 'Stros, but I do NOT want to see Houston eek out another wild card at the Phils expense........seeing Biggio hit that homer against Wagner and the Phils last year in a key late season game was something out of the Twilight Zone!

"You call Tim Wakefield "awful" - I've demonstrated statistically that Tim Wakefield was having an excellent year."

I can demonstrate statistically that he was NOT having an excellent year. By checking his ERA, which is far from excellent. Please, just stop the lying and deception. You have absolutely no statistical evidence to back up any of your points and are just a sad Red Sox homer who is bitter about his shitty team and their lost season -- a season that was lost before ANY significant injuries occurred and before Lester was sent running for the chemo machine.

"You call Tim Wakefield "awful" - I've demonstrated statistically that Tim Wakefield was having an excellent year."

I can demonstrate statistically that he was NOT having an excellent year. By checking his ERA, which is far from excellent.

For Old Times' Sake, The Truth Patrol is Back Again

We at the truth patrol have done extensive study and have determined the cause of Mr. Top 1% IQ Score's reading comprehension problem.

He is incapable of reading anything that refutes his ill-conceived notions.

Let's review:

Tim Wakefield's ERA is 4.14, which ranks him in the top 20 of the American League

Tim Wakefield's ERA before his injury was 3.86

He has 8 losses. In six of those losses, he averaged over 7 IP, fewer than four runs allowed, and received a grand total of 4 runs of support while he was in the game.

Please, just stop the lying and deception. You have absolutely no statistical evidence to back up any of your points ...

This is absolutely hysterical. I have quoted statistics ad nauseum to support my points. You have not cited a single statistic whatsoever. Now you throw around charges of "lying and deception."

I have had a really rough couple of days so I have to thank you for the opportunity to :rofl:

You ... are just a sad Red Sox homer who is bitter about his shitty team and their lost season -- a season that was lost before ANY significant injuries occurred

More hysterical foolishness, from the master.

Red Sox record when Tim Wakefield was injured:

58-36, 2.5 games ahead of the Yankees

Red Sox record when Jason Varitek and Trot Nixon were injured:

62-41, in a statistical tie with the Yankees for first place

Red Sox record from that date until Varitek and Nixon returned:

11-23

and that record includes the loss of Ortiz, Ramirez, Gonzales, Schilling, Crisp, Pena, Lester, et. al.

... a season that was lost before ANY significant injuries occurred and before Lester was sent running for the chemo machine.

Please continue to make tasteless references like "Cancer Kid," "Cancer Boy" "Chemo unit in the clubhouse" and now "sent running for the chemo machine."

Long term and valued members Big Al and Dave James have asked you to leave. Brad has suggested you are courting banishment from the community. These posts have been brought to the attention of the owner of the board.

Edited by Dan Gould

Frankly, I find this on-going "My dad can beat up your dad" bullcrap between Heatwave and Dan to be tiresome and harmful to the board. Is it impossible to discuss sports without resorting to name-calling, profanities, and insults?

Dan, in light of the issues you are having that you brought up publicly on this board, I would like to suggest, as a friend, that you step back for a few weeks, work on your relationship, and give this board a rest. There are more important things in life than fighting with some twit who goes by a pseudonym and thinks of himself as a baseball mastermind on an internet board. Take some time off, work on the problems in your life, and come back later when things are in a better state. I wanted to say the same thing on the thread you started about these issues, but in a more curt way (ie, "Dan, get the hell of the computer and go talk to your wife instead of posting about it!")

Again, I say these things as a friend and as someone who spends far too much time on the computer (I used to be worse!)

Heatwave, I'm going to infer that you are young enough not to have had personal experience with cancer. You obviously have not had a loved one or a close friend become afflicted and/or die from this horrible disease, or else you wouldn't use such disgusting, hurtful, and callous language. Either that or you are an asshole. Or maybe both. Regardless, it ends now or you're gone.

This has gone on long enough.

Wang notches #17, the Yanks' magic # is 13, and with the Tigers' loss tonight, NY is right on their heels for homefield advantage in the playoffs.

Ryan Howard went 2-2 with four walks--two of 'em intentional. Anybody see the remarks from Maris' family, saying Howard should get the HR record if he surpasses 61?

Ryan Howard went 2-2 with four walks--two of 'em intentional. Anybody see the remarks from Maris' family, saying Howard should get the HR record if he surpasses 61?

No, I missed that! Makes sense to me....no asterisk needed for him, in any case. No big deal, because next year he's going to hit 80!! :excited: I'd sacrifice a few of those, if the Phils could snag the wild card, but looks like they've just dropped another to Florida. :angry:

Long term and valued members Big Al and Dave James have asked you to leave. Brad has suggested you are courting banishment from the community. These posts have been brought to the attention of the owner of the board.

And Patrick and I have both asked heatwave if he likes jazz and he's yet to respond...

I haven't been here for a couple of weeks so I'm glad I missed the debate. It must have been bad if Jim had to intervene.

Getting back, I wonder how the Tigers will react next year if they don't make the playoffs this year. Total collapse possibly. Just goes to show you that it takes a whole season.

Edited by Brad