2006 MLB Thread

I think George's tirade and alleged dumping of Torre was just a way to deflect the attention from the Mets and keep the Yankees on the back pages. If so, it worked, didn't it? And you know that it must be killing him that the Mets are moving on and the Yankees going home. Can you imagine his reaction if the Mets make it to the Series, which they're likely to do?

In New York sports, one team is usually up and the other down and we may be beginning to see a transition. These things are cyclical and the Yankee boom may be running into the bust cycle. After all, the Yankees are stuck with some big contracts right now and, unless they're just willing to cut people and pick up the cost, next year could be more of the same.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think George's tirade and alleged dumping of Torre was just a way to deflect the attention from the Mets and keep the Yankees on the back pages. If so, it worked, didn't it? And you know that it must be killing him that the Mets are moving on and the Yankees going home. Can you imagine his reaction if the Mets make it to the Series, which they're likely to do?

Brad, IMO, there's no doubt that George will be extra upset if the Mets go to the Series, let alone win it ... but knocking them off the back pages wasn't the purpose here. The only difference between now and the era of the revolving door manager's office is George's willingness to calm down and listen to other points of view. In another era, in the time it took George to make a decision, he would have fired Joe, hired his replacement and re-hired Joe. :g

MY $0.02 on what the Yanks need to do to improve the starting pitching: 1) sign Mussina at a reduced price($17MM is too much for one year) for no more than 1-2 years, 2) Get Zito!, 3) Bring up Hughes, in AA now but supposed to be a can't miss guy, 4) Tell Big Unit to get surgery and take his time coming back, like say, return in November after his contract expires :g , 5) Deal A-Rod if the Yanks can get a package from the Angels similar to what was offered to the Orioles(Ervin Santana, a young fireballer and a third baseman). Does Brain Cashman hang around Jazz bb's? :w

Edited by PHILLYQ

MY $0.02 on what the Yanks need to do to improve the starting pitching: 1) sign Mussina at a reduced price($17MM is too much for one year) for no more than 1-2 years, 2) Get Zito!, 3) Bring up Hughes, in AA now but supposed to be a can't miss guy, 4) Tell Big Unit to get surgery and take his time coming back, like say, return in November after his contract expires :g , 5) Deal A-Rod if the Yanks can get a package from the Angels similar to what was offered to the Orioles(Ervin Santana, a young fireballer and a third baseman). Does Brain Cashman hang around Jazz bb's? :w

So you believe that Mussina is actually needed? I mean, never won 20, never came close to a CY, six over priced years and no championship, more of a six inning pitcher than ever, 38 next year, and 8-7 (or 7-8, I can't recall) lifetime in the post season?

I think the smart thing is to roll that money into the bid for the Japanese pitcher, and trump the market by adding both Zito and the Japansese guy. So what if the payroll is 240 mil?

Fortunately, the Yankees tend to be loyal and they'll probably do exactly what you suggest ... to their ultimate distress.

NEW YORK -- A small plane piloted by New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, raining flaming debris onto the sidewalks below and rattling New Yorkers' nerves five years after the Sept. 11 attack.

Lidle died in the crash.

The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire -- a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center -- with a loud bang, touching off a raging fire that cast a pillar of black smoke over the city and sent flames shooting from four windows on two adjoining floors.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Boy, are these Tigers reminding anyone else of the post-season White Sox of last year?

Will they lose again? :D

I think the possible analogy I drew before the playoffs--the 2000 Yanks--is even more apt. Same horrible September, same nearly invincible October.

have you forgotten how the White Sox did their best to give away the division to the Indians?

Hey Big Al, henceforth, you and I can only referr to Kenny Rogers as "Clutch" Rogers..... :excited::crazy::blink::angry::( Of course, Tom Glavine, another 40+ soft tossing lefty that almost never could win the big game, and always gave up a run or two in the first inning of every playoff game for the Braves, hasn't given up a run in the playoffs either. Go figure. You can't. Which is one reason why I love this game.

Boy, are these Tigers reminding anyone else of the post-season White Sox of last year?

I think the possible analogy I drew before the playoffs--the 2000 Yanks--is even more apt. Same horrible September, same nearly invincible October.

have you forgotten how the White Sox did their best to give away the division to the Indians?

No, but I prefer to think in NY analogies. :g

A Detroit-Mets series would be great.

No, but I prefer to think in NY analogies. :g

Well if that analogy includes a Mets World Series failure, then by all means .... :g