2006 MLB Thread

well, I'm shocked like everyone else. during the last weekend of the season i thought the tigers were done and would be out early. amazing how they turned it around. i wonder when the rest of the baseball world will start showing them some respect?

that is two series in a row that a coworker has been unable to use his tickets. he had two for game 4 of the ALDS and game 5 of the ALCS!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox fires Lyons for racially insensitive commentAssociated Press

DETROIT -- Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella's Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League Championship Series.

The network confirmed Saturday that Lyons was dismissed after Friday's game. He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.

Piniella had made an analogy involving the luck of finding a wallet, then briefly used a couple of Spanish phrases during Friday's broadcast.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Lyons claimed he was kidding.

"If I offended anybody, I'm truly sorry," Lyons said in a phone interview. "But my comment about Lou taking my wallet was a joke and in no way racially motivated."

Lyons flew Saturday to Los Angeles, where he hoped to meet with Fox chairman David Hill. Lyons had been working in the booth for the ALCS alongside Thom Brennaman and Piniella, the No. 2 broadcast team for Fox this postseason.

"Steve Lyons has been relieved of his Fox Sports duties for making comments on air that the company found inappropriate," network spokesman Dan Bell said.

In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired.

Piniella, approached before Saturday's Game 4, declined to comment on the situation except to say: "No, he's not here today."

This was not a first-time offense for Lyons, nicknamed "Psycho" during his nine-year big league career as a utilityman that ended in 1993 with the Boston Red Sox.

Hired when Fox began broadcasting baseball in 1996, Lyons was suspended without pay in late September 2004 after his remarks about Shawn Green of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Green is Jewish and elected not to play one of the two games at San Francisco that took place during the Yom Kippur holiday.

The network apologized for Lyons' remarks at the time.

Earlier in the playoffs, while working the Mets-Dodgers NLDS, Lyons unwittingly made fun of a nearly blind fan who was wearing special glasses to see the game.

"He's got a digital camera stuck to his face," Lyons said.

He also once pulled down his pants on the field during his playing days.

Lyons, 46, was a career .252 hitter with 19 home runs and 196 RBI for Boston, the Chicago White Sox, Atlanta and Montreal. He was a first-round draft pick by the Red Sox, 19th overall, in 1981.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006...tory?id=2625500

Attention turns to NY and StL. I am a National League man and will root for either of them in the WS.

Well good luck with that. The fact that today the two teams are starting pitchers whose records are 3-13 (Mets), the other 5-8 and neither ERA is below 5 tells you all you need to know about the likelihood the NL winner can compete with Detroit. It will take a miracle for the AAAA champion to win it all.

Attention turns to NY and StL. I am a National League man and will root for either of them in the WS.

Well good luck with that. The fact that today the two teams are starting pitchers whose records are 3-13 (Mets), the other 5-8 and neither ERA is below 5 tells you all you need to know about the likelihood the NL winner can compete with Detroit. It will take a miracle for the AAAA champion to win it all.

Updated: Oct. 2, 2006

ESPN experts: Who's going to win?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006...tory?id=2610409

It's now 2 out of 3 and since two of those are in Shea, I'm feeling good. Hoping for good Glavine effort tomorrow although his work on 3 days rest isn't great. Take 'em one at a time.

I, on the other hand am hoping Glavine's arm falls off (not literally)! I will be at the Dave Holland show tonight and will have to make frequent jaunts to the bar for updates.....maybe I can get the waitress to bring me updates!

m~

And now I see that the A's fired their manager Ken Macha.

I don't understand the idea of calling for the heads of people like Torre and Macha after they lose in the playoffs. Either making the playoffs is good, a big deal, or it's not. Apparently it's not.

You guys who pay attention to baseball may disagree, but "in my day" anything could happen in a short series in baseball. When there were no divisions and no playoffs, the two first place teams were both champions, and to lose the World Series was no dishonor.

And now I see that the A's fired their manager Ken Macha.

I don't understand the idea of calling for the heads of people like Torre and Macha after they lose in the playoffs. Either making the playoffs is good, a big deal, or it's not. Apparently it's not.

You guys who pay attention to baseball may disagree, but "in my day" anything could happen in a short series in baseball. When there were no divisions and no playoffs, the two first place teams were both champions, and to lose the World Series was no dishonor.

While the question of whether or not Torre would be fired was largely a function of recent post-season success or lack thereof, Macha's firing was not.

Remember, first, that Macha was actually fired last year, (or it was announced he would not return, same difference) and then rehired a week later.

And let's say that his "people skills" are extremely lacking:

After quick ALCS exit, A's fire manager Macha

ESPN.com news services

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Ken Macha was fired as manager of the Oakland Athletics on Monday, two days after the AL West champions were swept out of the playoffs by Detroit.

Macha had two years and $2.025 million left on his contract. The A's went 368-280 in his four seasons as manager, but have frustrated management and their fans by failing to get into the World Series.

Oakland won the West with a 93-69 record this year. After sweeping Minnesota in three games in the first round of the playoffs, the A's were eliminated by the Tigers in four straight in the AL Championship Series.

"Not to fault either side, but I felt a disconnect on a lot of levels," general manager Billy Beane said. "Once again, it's not to point the finger at Ken or anything like that. But that disconnect was there and it was something we needed to address as soon as possible."

The Athletics did not announce a replacement, but bench coach Bob Geren is considered a top candidate to be Macha's successor.

A call to Macha's cell phone was not immediately returned Monday.

The San Francisco Chronicle, citing team sources, reported earlier Monday that Macha's job was in jeopardy due to his trouble communicating with his players and his "callous attitude" toward injured players.

"The end of the year is the time for evaluation, not only players, but staff as well," A's general manager Billy Beane told the Chronicle. "It's a matter of routine this time of year."

Macha's relationships with a number of players have been the source of Bay Area stories for several seasons. Macha almost didn't return to the A's after last season, but was later rehired.

"For the last two years, our relationship has deteriorated to nothing," back-up catcher Adam Melhuse said, according to the Chronicle. "He didn't even speak to me for well over the last month. For me, as a backup, all I want is communication. Every other coach, I get along with great, but with Macha, it is not an exaggeration to say he doesn't speak to me -- not 'Hi,' not anything.

"It's tough to go to work every day knowing you're working for someone who doesn't think much of you as a player and on top of that, doesn't even acknowledge you."

Earlier this season, Macha refered to disabled players Joe Kennedy and Rich Harden as "non-entities."

During the playoffs, he responded to an injury to second baseman Mark Ellis' broken finger with: "It's part of the game. A lot of people get hurt."

"Mach's a good guy," Harden said Monday. "I hope he ends up somewhere and gets a job."

First baseman Nick Swisher heard the news when he arrived at the Coliseum to clean out his locker. Macha met briefly with Beane on Monday morning.

"It happens," Swisher said. "As a team and as players, we move on. You just hope he ends up finding another job somewhere."

The A's became the sixth major league team to let its manager go since the final days of the season. Dusty Baker (Chicago Cubs), Joe Girardi (Florida), Felipe Alou (San Francisco), Frank Robinson (Washington) and Buck Showalter (Texas) are not coming back next year.

Macha went through a topsy-turvy October last year, too, during which he briefly was out as manager.

Right after missing the postseason for a second straight season in 2005, the A's failed to reach agreement with Macha on a new deal. The Athletics cut ties with him and Beane announced there would be no further negotiations.

At the time, Macha called it one of the "massive disappointments" during his seven years in the organization. The A's interviewed other candidates for the job and Macha talked to Pittsburgh about its managerial vacancy.

But about a week after being let go, the A's rehired Macha and gave him a three-year contract.

Beane said he didn't regret rehiring Macha last year.

"No, I think you can only take a decision out of the context of when it was made," Beane said. "So that was the right decision at that point and we feel this is the right decision at this point."

Geren interviewed for the manager's job last fall during the time Macha was away from the club. The A's promoted Geren this season from bullpen coach.

All along, Macha realized he might be working alongside his replacement.

Third-base coach Ron Washington also could be in the mix, as he also met with Beane about the job in 2005. Washington is scheduled to interview with Texas soon about its managerial job.

Macha joined the A's as their bench coach in 1999. He became their manager in 2003 and led them to the AL West title in his first year, and followed that with a pair of second-place finishes before winning the division again this season.

His assistants were still awaiting their fate Monday -- sitting together in the coaches' office before going to meet with Beane individually.

"It's a very somber day," Washington said. "I don't know what went on that materialized. He definitely had a successful year. Success of the year probably didn't have to do with it, but stuff that happened behind the scenes. You hate to see it. Macha will land on his feet, though."

Inside the Coliseum, a bulldozer was already removing the infield dirt to transform the venue into a football-only stadium for the NFL's Oakland Raiders.

It's now 2 out of 3 and since two of those are in Shea, I'm feeling good. Hoping for good Glavine effort tomorrow although his work on 3 days rest isn't great. Take 'em one at a time.

I, on the other hand am hoping Glavine's arm falls off (not literally)! I will be at the Dave Holland show tonight and will have to make frequent jaunts to the bar for updates.....maybe I can get the waitress to bring me updates!

m~

You got lucky! Rainout.

m~

You got lucky! Rainout.

I'd say it gives you the advantage, Brad, but only if you win the next two. A game 7 would give Randolph distressing choices for his starter: Oliver, who hasn't started a game since 2004 or Trachsel.

Nice game by Maine tonight. Looks like that injury to El Duque turned out to be a stroke of good luck afterall.

I really dislike both teams, and have disliked the Mets for much longer (being a Cub fan will do that) but for the integrity of the game, I think you really have to hope the Mets pull it out. It was bad enough when the Twins went to the WS (and won) with 85 regular season wins, but the Cards going to the Series with 83 wins? There's something deeply wrong if that happens.

Nice game by Maine tonight. Looks like that injury to El Duque turned out to be a stroke of good luck afterall.

I really dislike both teams, and have disliked the Mets for much longer (being a Cub fan will do that) but for the integrity of the game, I think you really have to hope the Mets pull it out. It was bad enough when the Twins went to the WS (and won) with 85 regular season wins, but the Cards going to the Series with 83 wins? There's something deeply wrong if that happens.

Hey, stuff happens. Back in '54 before the advent of playoffs, the Giants won the NL pennant with, I believe it was, 88 wins (154 game season). They swept the Indians who had won 111 games. Go figure.

BTW, the Yanks came in 2nd in the AL that year with 103 wins, a 667 winning percentage which entitled them to.........nothing.

Hey, stuff happens. Back in '54 before the advent of playoffs, the Giants won the NL pennant with, I believe it was, 88 wins (154 game season). They swept the Indians who had won 111 games. Go figure.

That's a .571 winning percentage, which is perfectly respectable, even if it was way behind the Yanks.

The Cards had a downright pathetic winning percentage of .516, 6th best in an awful league, behind even the Phils and nearly the Astros.

Can any of you Cards fans tell me if Pujols has always been this much of an asshole with the press? That's certainly not the impression I've had before.

Of course, LaRussa will never stop defending his stars. They're always completely blameless, whether its McGuire or Pujols. :rolleyes: