More internet scams/fraud

This was in my email today.

The funny thing is, I don't even bank with Chase. :wacko:

CHASE Bank is devoted to keeping a safe environment for its community of consumers and producers. To guarantee

the safety of your account, CHASE Bank deploys some of the most advanced security measures in the world and our

anti-fraud units regularly screen the CHASE Bank database for suspicious activity.

We recently have discovered that multiple computers have attempted to log into your CHASE Bank Online Banking

account, and multiple password failures were presented before the logons. We now require you to re-validate your

account information to us. If this is not completed by April 03, 2006, we will be forced to suspend your account

indefinitely, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner.

In order to confirm your Online Bank records, we may require some specific information from you.

Please Click Here Log On or on the link below to verify your account

URL REMOVED BY MOD

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporary suspend your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help

protect you and your account.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

The CHASE Bank Security Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your CHASE account

and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

© 2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.

I actually have a Chase visa, and I do use their online access frequently.

I also got this email last week, and it is one of the best phishing scams I've ever seen. The only thing that gave it away was the URL -- definitely NOT from chase.com. The URL was somewhere in the ".kr" domain -- Korea, I believe.

Here's another one -- this is particularly evil -- the message seems reasonable and the URL looks legit, but clicking on it would be real bad thing...

Chase Personal Banking always look forward for the high security of our clients. Some customers have been receiving an email claiming to be from Chase Manhattan advising them to follow a link to what appear to be a Chase web site, where they are prompted to enter their personal Online Banking details.JPMorgan Chase & Co. is in no way involved with this email and the web site does not belong to us.

Chase Bank is proud to announce about their new updated secure system. We updated our new SSL servers to give our customers a better, fast and secure online banking service.

Due to the recent update of the servers, you are requested to please update your account info at the following link.

( URL removed )

*Important*

We have asked few additional information which is going to be the part of secure login process. These additional information will be asked during your future login security so, please provide all these info completely and correctly otherwise due to security reasons we may have to close your account temporarily.

J. S. Smith

Security Advisor

JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

For assistance, log in to your Chase Manhattan Online Bank account and choose the "Help" link on any page.

Chase Email ID # 1009

©2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.

"We have asked few additional information which is going to be the part of secure login process. These additional information will be asked during your future login security so, please provide all these info completely and correctly otherwise due to security reasons we may have to close your account temporarily."

Keep an eye on the grammar. It always gives them away.

I am Canadian and I get those too. They are - as scams go - pretty well done as I did a comparison to the live Chase site - logo, font, url, etc. The grammar is poor of course, but has gotten better.

I'm the internet producer for a large company and I recently became their webmaster as well. It's funny that the Nigerian stuff comes our way as well. I mean why bother? I got one the other day, nicely written, no grammar problems, from the "wife of Major Marc Madison, Chief Security Officer and Aide-de–camp to the president Charles Taylor of Liberia". Guess these scammers don't read the news much. :o

"We have asked few additional information which is going to be the part of secure login process. These additional information will be asked during your future login security so, please provide all these info completely and correctly otherwise due to security reasons we may have to close your account temporarily."

Keep an eye on the grammar. It always gives them away.

I was going to say the same thing (there are several more grammatical errors you didn't note). This doesn't qualify as "evil" or "reasonable". Its a blatant attempt at phishing and I can only assume that the phishers are banking (no pun intended) on the general illiteracy of the population.

Edited by Dan Gould

Got this today. This typo speaks volumes.

Dear customer of Chase Bank,

Technical services of the Chase Bank are carrying out a planned software upgrade. We earnestly ask you to visit the following link to start the procedure of confirmation on customers data.

To get started, please click the link below:

[deleted]

This instruction has been sent to all bank customers and is obligatory to fallow. :lol:

Thank you,

Customers Support Service.

Don't reply to the e-mail, that just tells them they have a live one!

What I do is follow the link and log in as Screwu with a password of eatshitanddie. The next screen will come up with an entry screen for all kinds of stuff. Social Security number, mother's maiden name, etc. Have fun with it. I typically use sports figures for personal information. Father's name: Larry Bird. :)

Given the fact that most of these scam artists don't speak (or write) English very well, they probably don't understand your deservedly nasty replies.

I get these messages all the time and I hate them. I trash them immediately, though I fear that someday I may trash a real one. So be it. What surprises is that legit businesses like the Banks and PayPal and eBay and all the rest don't have a whole team of security agents and lawyers hunting these crooks down. I mean talk about wrongful use of a name - this takes the cake.

Edited by John Tapscott