favorite remakes of tunes first or best known on BN

Let's get this whole album out of the way, right up front...

d95360i1co9.jpg

New Directions (Osby, Shim, Harris, Moran, Mateen, and Waits) -- nearly all remakes of classic BN-era tunes: Blow Up, Sidewinder, Ping Pong, Beatrice, No Room For Squares, Song For My Father, Tom Thumb, Big Bertha, and Recorda Me.

Another favorite (that slightly predates the best known version on BN), is from this...

PR7465.jpg

Bobby Timmons with Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, and Jimmy Cobb -- doing Wayne's "Tom Thumb"

I've got plenty more favorites, but I'll post more later...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

"News for Lulu" & "More News for Lulu", by John Zorn/Bill Frisell/George Lewis.

a8_7.JPG

1. K.D.'s Motion

2. Funk in Deep Freeze

3. Melanie

4. Melody for C

5. Lotus Blossom

6. Eastern Incident

7. Peckin' Time

8. Blues, Blues, Blues

9. Blue Minor I

10. This I Dig of You

11. Venita's Dance

12. News for Lulu

13. Olé

14. Sonny's Crib

15. Hank's Other Tune

16. Blue Minor II

17. Windmill

18. News for Lulu [Live]

19. Funk in Deep Freeze [Live]

20. Windmill [Live]

ac_7.JPG

1. Blue Minor I

2. Hank's Other Tune

3. News For Lulu

4. Gare Guillemins

5. Minor Swing

6. KD's Motion / Windmill

7. Funk In Deep Freeze

8. Eastern Incident

9. Lotus Blossom

10. Melanie

11. Ole

12. Blue Minor II

13. Peckin' Time

14. Blues, Blues, Blues

15. Melody For C

Edited by Aggie87

news (and more news) for lulu is/are wonderful. Here's some more:

Sidewinder: James Brown, Bobbie Humphries (with Lee!), Ray Charles

Song For My Father: James Brown

Senor Blues: Ray Charles

Moanin': Ray Charles

The Turnaround: John Patton

Chitlins Con Carne: John Patton, Jr. Wells & Buddy Guy

Watermellon Man: Mongo Santamaria, HH & Headhunters

Maiden Voyage: Grant Green

Fancy Free: Grant Green

Could be a good "Blue On Blue"comp for BN here, no?

Although it also wound up on Blue Note, I'm a big fan of Joe Henderson's "State of the Tenor" version of 'Beatrice.'

Also: any Doug Carn cover/rendition. He's one of the few cats who can do 'Infant Eyes' real justice.

And for good measure--although not entirely successful (the ensemble sounds a little thin at times--at worst, a little spent for energy), the Braxton 'Nine Compositions' date with Andrew Hill tunes is really fun. Also--the Woody Shaw version of 'Symmetry' on 'The Iron Men'.

Maiden Voyage - Odell Brown & the Organisers - I can't believe no one on this board has mentioned this!

Armageddon - The Three Souls - DITTO

Black Nile - The Three Souls - DITTO again!

Twilight Thunder - The Afro Blues Quintet + 1

Down with Downers - The Afro Blues Quintet + 1

The above two are retitled versions of Canteloupe Island (the two tracks are a continuous performance)

Evening of the beast - The Afro Blues Quintet + 1

This is a retitled version of John Patton's "One step ahead"

In none of the three cases above are the composers correctly credited. Nonetheless, these are great versions of the tunes, despite the dishonesty of the record company.

Finally

Grassella Oliphant - The yodel and Soul woman

I actually think these are the original versions, though some discographies give dates that are a few weeks after "Got a good thing goin'". I doubt if Patton & Green would have brought these numbers that they'd just recorded for Blue Note to the session. I reckon they recorded them first for Atlantic. But the Blue Note album came out first.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

The Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet (John Zorn, Wayne Horwitz, Ray Drummond, Bobby Previte)album 'Voodoo' on Black Saint had several tunes (including 'Cool Struttin'', 'Minor Meeting', 'Sonny's Crib', etc...) that appeared first on BN.

Can't argue with that.

John Hicks' "Music in the key of Clark" has some wonderful remakes of Clark numbers; particularly "My conception" and "Minor meeting".

Lonnie Smith's "Too damn hot" has a very interesting version of "One cylinder". Lou's version, on which Lonie played but didn't solo, wasn't the original, which was by the great Freddie McCoy on his "Peas and rice" LP, but it's a lot more famous than the original.

On the same album, Lonnie does a beautiful ballad version of "Silver's serenade" that really opints up how lovely the tune is.

Cornell Dupree, on his album "Bop 'n' blues" does my favourite version of "Bags' groove".

MG

Both ideas strike me as interesting. But that's just me. I like Chuck's idea. For example, why does virtually no one ever record versions of Ellington pieces like "Harlem Airshaft" or "Main Stem"?

"Main stem" - Kenny Burrell, Jr Mance, Tommy Flanagan, Terry Gibbs, Milt Jackson, James Moody, Oliver Nelson, Oscar Peterson, Zoot Sims, Ben Webster. Lots of others.

Why do no hard bop musicians record "Way back home"?

MG