Miles Davis - The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions

Now I'd like to say a few words about the bonus disk. I was really psyched to hear it. As I suggested above, I would have paid $14.99 for it. But now that I have heard it, I am disappointed. I suppose that those of us who are not collectors of bootlegs need to be reminded that not every discovered tape is of the quality of Monk with Coltrane at Carnegie Hall.

I am more positive about the three main disks than Chuck is, because of the recorded order presentation. But I am apparently more negative about the bonus disk than Ed Rhoades is, because of the sound. Thanks for that informative post Ed!

Well...I haven't heard the new disks but, yes, I'm used to bootlegs and one almost never finds anything like the Monk/Trane/Carnegie disk in the boot world. I have several copies of the ex-boot material in this set and as private recordings go they are ok. If you want a basis of comparison, check the "Peacock Alley" disk on VGM-Soulard. There is a fantastic version of "Well You Needn't" that is almost unlistenable because of the poor sound quality...and this from an inveterate consumer of boots.

My point was more that this stuff isn't new, though I don't discount the value of it being a legitiimate release. Folks who are aware of Boris Rose have seen and heard it before.

And, BTW, you are quite welcom.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay question - i was checking out the tracklisting for the box at a couple sites and - is it me or are tunes missing? like - i dont see four or never entered my mind (from workin). the live versions are there on the 4th disc but not the studio versions. anybody know wut up?

Four is Disc 2, Track 8.

Mind is Disc 2, Track 5.

There is a blurb about the box on the front page of this morning's USA Today, Section D Life:

Prestigious box set hails Miles' birthday

To celebrate the 80th anniversary of Miles Davis' birth, Concord Music Group has collected the jazz legend's complete output of his 1950s combo. The Miles Davis Quintet: The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions (out today, $60) contains 32 selections drawn primarily from five albums — The New Miles Davis Quintet, Cookin', Workin', Relaxin' and Steamin'. A bonus disc contains eight previously unissued audio performances from radio and television.

What I find noteworthy is that a mass publication like USA Today refers to him only as Miles in its headline!

Looks like the eight 'unissued' titles that show up on the new box have all been issued before on the Yadeon CD release 'Rare Unreleased Broadcasts With John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins and Bill Evans'.

Nothing new under the sun :(

True. I have that one. But: I think they sound will be better on this release. And I think very few people have ever seen the Yadeon cd. I've only ever seen two copies in total in all my Miles scourings since the late eighties.

Looks like the eight 'unissued' titles that show up on the new box have all been issued before on the Yadeon CD release 'Rare Unreleased Broadcasts With John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins and Bill Evans'.

Nothing new under the sun :(

True. I have that one. But: I think they sound will be better on this release. And I think very few people have ever seen the Yadeon cd. I've only ever seen two copies in total in all my Miles scourings since the late eighties.

The sound on the box has got to be better. Currently listening to that Yaedon CD.

Saw a copy only once. It's the one playing now :)

Decent price at Tower, as already noted. ($39.99) Free shipping, of course. Perhaps a little added incentive:

Take $10 Off Your Next Purchase of $50 or More!

Use coupon code: D7YKN8M

Expires June 01, 2006

Take $5 Off Your Next Purchase of $30 or More!

Use coupon code: F7HTNJ7

Expires June 01, 2006

View coupon rules and restrictions.

http://www.towerrecords.com/promo.asp?page...rt%20Coupon%201

md, I haven't heard the OJCs so I can't compare, but the sound on the box set is great.

I had the regular old OJCs and find the box (K2s I believe) to be an upgrade. As a matter of fact I traded in my old _____in' discs on Miles' birthday.

Be careful removing the discs from the holders. I slightly cracked disc 3 trying to get it out (plays fine but I will burn a backup). I should know by now how to remove a disc from a holder that won't let go, but I fumbled this time. The holder technology is one I haven't come across before - it's a clear plastic imperfect circle (it has 3 slightly indented sides.) I probably shouldn't worry too much about breaking discs since this will likely get reissued a few times more with new formats. :rolleyes:

Edited by Quincy

Anu more comments on the sound? All I have to go by in the clips on emusic, and they do sound a little nicer I think.

The first Prestige session in the box ("Stablemates" and so on) is a definitely a notable sonic upgrade--it is obvious even through the speakers on my PC.

Are the ____ing sessions just the K2 remasters, or a new remastering?

Got my copy of the box - from Borders only 'cause i had the $10 coupon and some credit from a return...still a little pricey. Love it of course...could take or leave the bonus stuff. I actually already had that stuff from one of the Spanish disconforme imports. But I guess the Blue Note RVG's have spoiled me because, while i know the sound is far superior to the old OJC's, I still felt like it coulda sounded better. I dunno. The book's okay - love the pictures though.

Have only listened to Disc 4 so far, and I can live with the audio quality just fine--it's Steve Allen's introduction and comments that drive me to the point of screaming excruciation. Or something like that.

I'm on the fourth disc and that commentary drives me nuts. I guess that drivel passed for interesting with the Eisenhower crowd. I'm sure Miles wanted to kill him.

Have only listened to Disc 4 so far, and I can live with the audio quality just fine--it's Steve Allen's introduction and comments that drive me to the point of screaming excruciation. Or something like that.

I'm on the fourth disc and that commentary drives me nuts. I guess that drivel passed for interesting with the Eisenhower crowd. I'm sure Miles wanted to kill him.

Back in those days The Tonight Show was live; and it was low key, assuming that everyone watching was near his bedtime and winding down.

Nowadays Leno and Letterman are keyed up as if they're on during prime time hours.

I'm enjoying the music and the booklet but what does the writer mean when he talks about "cut time"?

From Cuttime.com:

"Cut time is a common musical term with slightly various meanings among different musicians. It is the standard symbol in written Western music indicating alla breve (twice as fast). But to classical musicians, this symbol will mean "having a feeling of 2 beats per bar" (as opposed to 4 which is called common time) and/or that the tempo (pacing) of the music is generally fast and flowing. While jazz musicians say "cut time" or "half time" when they want the music to suddenly go twice as fast!"