Richard Tee!

Kari S

I wouldn't put Richard Tee among the greats but his name on an album is not one to cause you to turn your nose up.

I'm not so sure about Stuff, though. I have three of their albums and they aren't nearly as good as they ought to be with the personnel they have.

MG

Stuff was an odd case. Their recordings don't do them justice. It's odd to be saying that about a bunch of studio guys, but it's the truth. They used to be at Mikell's at 97th and Columbus for years and I saw them countless times. It was always smokin'. They generated a lot of exitement live. In the earlier days before their albums the repetorire was Soul Classics and they were killin'. King Curtis' band was the same way. So much better live than any of the records reveal.

Don't have much Richard Tee or Stuff in my collection- only the Carla Bley Dinner Music LP - but I ran into Richard Tee once, strictly by accident, and he seemed like a truly nice guy. I remember he told me that he had moved to Cold Spring, N.Y. (in my general area) because he had had attended a wedding in Cold Spring, and liked the town well enough to make his home there.

I wouldn't put Richard Tee among the greats but his name on an album is not one to cause you to turn your nose up.

I'm not so sure about Stuff, though. I have three of their albums and they aren't nearly as good as they ought to be with the personnel they have.

MG

Stuff was an odd case. Their recordings don't do them justice. It's odd to be saying that about a bunch of studio guys, but it's the truth. They used to be at Mikell's at 97th and Columbus for years and I saw them countless times. It was always smokin'. They generated a lot of exitement live. In the earlier days before their albums the repetorire was Soul Classics and they were killin'. King Curtis' band was the same way. So much better live than any of the records reveal.

I can well believe it. Pity they didn't come through on disc.

MG