Chico Freeman

Late

Yes, Daddy Von is justifiably revered, but what about Chico the Son? (Now I'm going to use a colloquialism I can't stand ... ) — where are "the props" for Chico?

I know Chico for only a really great cd: The Pied Piper (Black Hawk BKH 50801 CD, 1984), one of the greatest -I think- "hard bop" records of the '80s. I bought it because Kenny Kirkland, Elvin Jones and Cecil McBee were part of the group. It's a great swinging date (other musicians: John Purcell, Mark Thompson), made by a great group, with strong interplay and drive. The saxes are both quite wonderful (as the overall piano work!), Freeman having the more soulful, strong and traditional soloing, in my opinion. Great tunes, mainly original ones. One of the best version ever heard of "Softly As In A Morning Sunrise".

Is there anybody who can tell me some Chico Freeman at this level?

Yes, Daddy Von is justifiably revered, but what about Chico the Son? (Now I'm going to use a colloquialism I can't stand ... ) — where are "the props" for Chico?

I know Chico for only a really great cd: The Pied Piper (Black Hawk BKH 50801 CD, 1984), one of the greatest -I think- "hard bop" records of the '80s. I bought it because Kenny Kirkland, Elvin Jones and Cecil McBee were part of the group. It's a great swinging date (other musicians: John Purcell, Mark Thompson), made by a great group, with strong interplay and drive. The saxes are both quite wonderful (as the overall piano work!), Freeman having the more soulful, strong and traditional soloing, in my opinion. Great tunes, mainly original ones. One of the best version ever heard of "Softly As In A Morning Sunrise".

Is there anybody who can tell me some Chico Freeman at this level?

Funny enough, this is my only Chico Freeman cd as well I've always liked it. I'm gonna spin it again for old time's sake.

Edited by connoisseur series500

Tradition in Transition on the Elektra Musician label (from around 1982) is an early favorite of mine.

Diverging a bit from straight ahead jazz into jazz/world fusion, the more recent recording The Emissary is excellent.

A couple of years ago, I saw Chico Freeman with Geri Allen, Richard Davis, and Andrew Cyrille at Jazz Standard.

I'vre always liked Chico, but seldom "love" him. His "inside" playing usually sounds kinda "un-natural" to me. The intent (and sincerity) is certainly there, but...

Truthfully, I've not heard his more recent work. So the above is based on his work up until the mid-80s or so.

The thing I have him on that I really like is Warriors, a Black Saint date co-led by him, Don Pullen, Fred hopkins, & Bobby Battle. That shit is off the hook!

Edited by JSngry

I still have three of his early LPs in my collection - Morning Prayer (Trio), Beyond the Rain (Contemporary), and Spirit Sensitive (India Navigation). I picked up a couple of his Contemporary and Musician LPs after that, but didn't find much that interested me, and I haven't heard anything since then. I'll have to listen to one or more of the ones I've kept and see if there's still something there for me. I find that a thread like this is good because it gets me to listen anew, rather than relying on memories.

I have always enjoyed Freeman's playing. I first heard him on a 1982 Elextra Lp titled The Young Lions, which featured musicians such as Wynton Marsalis, Jay Hoggard, Hamiet Bluiett, John Purcell and others I can't remember. I think I really started enjoying Freeman from his India Navigation LPs, Kings of Mali and The Outside Within and then finally on the three Leaders recordings (someone above forgot about Unforseen Blessings - and I think there may have been one more live recording.) Finally, I have also enjoy the recordings with father and son Von & Chico playing together. The latest Chico Freeman reccording (other than live stuff) that I have heard is a 1994 date on Contemporary with Arthur Blythe titled Focus. Nothing monumental, but I do recall enjoying it.

BFrank — if you like The Leaders (great band ... why was all the press given over to Courtney Pine in those years?), definitely check out Unforseen Blessings. (Tower online actually has it in stock!)

Interesting. I've never seen this one. I'll keep an eye out for it.

OTOH, AMG doesn't seem to care for it: "... there is an unfinished quality to many of the selections, eight of which are under three minutes in length. Other than Lightsey's contributions, this effort is surprisingly forgettable."

• 2 weeks later...

Of the Chico I've heard (at any length), The Outside Within is my favorite. There's a delicacy and power to the proceedings that a lot of modern post-bop lacks--a sense of 'mystery' that just magnifies the group energy. The sidemen are top notch, too--Hicks, McBee, DeJohnette. 'Search' is an all-time favorite of mine.

On the Leaders stuff--I've found a lot of it to be of relatively low-wattage, granted the capabilities of the ensemble. Not bad... just unextraordinary. I'll listen again--maybe I'll change my tune.