Which Coltrane are you enjoying right now?

jazzbo

Which also calls the accuracy of the citation into question, because AFAIK, none of the subsequent officially released post-1965 live recordings were recorded by Impulse!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm going by memory here...

Recorded May 28, 1966 by RVG, produced by Bob Thiele

1d5f476c.jpg

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "play down" reference could well be to the length of the performances, not the content.

thats kinda the way i took it. not necessarily just length. i mean its easily the wankiest trane album ive heard. what with some of the tracks starting out with just like 10 min of just bass. i mean you get to almost the 15 min mark with some of the tracks before you hear trane come in. and i can totally see why a record company would speak out against that sorta thing

Which also calls the accuracy of the citation into question, because AFAIK, none of the subsequent officially released post-1965 live recordings were recorded by Impulse!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm going by memory here...

Recorded May 28, 1966 by RVG, produced by Bob Thiele

1d5f476c.jpg

Yeah, by "subsequent" & "released", I meant to that one. "Post-1965" was a reference to the band, not the recordings.

Probably didn't make that as clear as I should have.

The "play down" reference could well be to the length of the performances, not the content.

thats kinda the way i took it. not necessarily just length. i mean its easily the wankiest trane album ive heard. what with some of the tracks starting out with just like 10 min of just bass. i mean you get to almost the 15 min mark with some of the tracks before you hear trane come in. and i can totally see why a record company would speak out against that sorta thing

Have you heard the 2nd Vanguard album, the one mentioned above? The version of MFT starts off w/solo bass, just not 10 minutes of it. In a lot of ways, that album - only two tunes, but both highly familiar ones - runs like a highly condensed version of the music heard on the Japan side.

I don't think that Trane himself would have had any real problems curtailing the length of performances or tailoring the selection of materialfor an "official" live recording. He was a very astute businessman who was fully aware of how much music could fit on a record, and he was concerned with presenting a viable product as well as superb music.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i’m in a deep coltrane mood lately. again. these are periodic. only this time I’m diggin deeper into his Prestige sides, being more familiar with his Impulses and Atlantics … and with the Miles quintet.

I’ve had Coltrane for some time, but have only lately snatched up a VICJ mini LP of Soultrane, an OJC of Settin the pace and RVGs of Traneing In and Lush Life. and i'm enjoying them a lot. Specially Traneing in. I love his energetic and powerful but still bluesy and hard boppish playing on these albums. and his ballads. and the way this was pointing to what was to come.

though I like Impulse era Coltrane, these 57-58 recordings predating his big ‘62 shift are brilliant. in a way most of what came later can already be sensed here. Trane is one of the artists you can hear developing most over a shorter time span, I think. it’s like seeing somebody grow almost in real time. from the Prestiges to the Atlantics and on to the Impulses!

and in between these Prestige days (although stretching back a little further) you’ve got his recordings with the Miles Davis quintet, some of his early playing I enjoy the most. I particularly love him on Round about midnight. well, Trane and his interplay with Miles. they’re like fire and ice on that one.

I'm guilty of not owning Crescent yet either; its one of the last of a handful of Trane Impulses I'm missing. Sounds like I gotta have it though :ph34r:

Hope you already have the one simply called Coltrane with "Out of This World", etc.

:ph34r: i have a friend who only owns Village Vanguard Master Takes and A Love Supreme... (and a good deal (say, half) of the Prestige and Atlantic stuff) what should he get next? Crecent? Transition?

Crescent is probably the closest in tone to A Love Supreme (recorded around the same time). Transition takes you into the later "out" period. Both are must-haves, but I'd defintely grab Crescent at your earliest convenience.

I'm guilty of not owning Crescent yet either; its one of the last of a handful of Trane Impulses I'm missing. Sounds like I gotta have it though :ph34r:

Hope you already have the one simply called Coltrane with "Out of This World", etc.

That's one of the other ones I'm missing. <_<