Mel Rhyne....and Killer Ray Appleton

sheldonm

Very nice photos, Sheldon, thanks.

If Killer Ray Apleton is the Otis Ray Appleton who played on Freddie Hubbard's "Backlash" in '66, he looks INCREDIBLY young! Did you ask him what he eats for breakfast?

MG

One and the same. He's got some health issues but he's hanging in there!

m~

If Killer Ray Apleton is the Otis Ray Appleton who played on Freddie Hubbard's "Backlash" in '66, he looks INCREDIBLY young! Did you ask him what he eats for breakfast?

MG

m~

He also played with Wes Mongomery.

Rhyne is simply one of the greatest organists when it comes to having the ability to play tunes. Any tune, any tempo...and say something of great depth. Not appreciated like he should because he doesn't lay down the heavy funk for the organ crowd and a lot of true jazz lovers don't dig organ. That said, he's really, really, really one of the best that every laid hands on the organ. Don't miss him if you get the chance. I treasure the one time I saw him (w/Mark Whitfield on guitar no less.)

Great pics too!

MG

m~

He also played with Wes Mongomery.

........and John Coltrane~~~

MG

m~

I'm sorry to hear that he's not well. He certainly looks well; I'd have put his age, from the photo, at late forties.

MG

Rhyne is simply one of the greatest organists when it comes to having the ability to play tunes. Any tune, any tempo...and say something of great depth. Not appreciated like he should because he doesn't lay down the heavy funk for the organ crowd and a lot of true jazz lovers don't dig organ. That said, he's really, really, really one of the best that every laid hands on the organ.

I think I've got most of the recordings Mel made and agree with you entirely. He's not a dramatic or sensational player by any means, but he always tells a good story; much like the late Hank Marr.

MG

Nice photos, Mark!

Must have been a really nice evening!

Thanks Brownie, lots of fun! Mel is playing a lot more locally and Ray always has many interesting stories to share.....lots of history there. Tenor player David Young (George Russell/Duke Ellington) was suppose to sit in as well but couldn't make it.....fun nonetheless!!!

m~

Tenor player David Young (George Russell/Duke Ellington) was suppose to sit in as well but couldn't make it.....fun nonetheless!!!

m~

That would really have been interesting to hear Dave Young. Loved his contributions to the pre-Dolphy George Russell albums he took part in. A passionate voice!

If he ever shows up at one of the gigs you're covering, would like to get your impressions!

Tenor player David Young (George Russell/Duke Ellington) was suppose to sit in as well but couldn't make it.....fun nonetheless!!!

m~

That would really have been interesting to hear Dave Young. Loved his contributions to the pre-Dolphy George Russell albums he took part in. A passionate voice!

If he ever shows up at one of the gigs you're covering, would like to get your impressions!

I've actually seen him perform with this group several times, not sure why he didn't show up for this gig. David's a great guy, wonderful player and very humble. Although he'll answer questions, he doesn't really like to talk about himself. I saw a lady doing a documentary on Wes Montgomery ask David a few questions which he answered but when she asked if she would stop by his house and film a short interview of his time playing with Wes, David was a little embarrased and said he would prefer not to. Killer on the other hand never stops talking (probably even is his sleep) and stepped in to help the lady out.

m~