43 w. 61st Blue Note 45s - collectible or not

• 3 months later...

A 45 of the same performance should have more volume and presence, and, of course, be in mono. Blue Note 45s however often weren't the same as the LP tracks, they might be edited, a wholey different performance of the same tune, or something that was never on an album back in the day. Some of these variations show up on CD, not all. So...of course the're collectable, to varying degrees depending on exactly what it is...

I started collecting Blue Note and Prestige 45's about 10 years ago when you could get mint, unplayed ones for $1.00. NOBODY seemed to care about these records. I really dug them and still do. I mostly have organ 45s....John Patton, Freddie Roach, Jimmy Smith, ect. The ones I have are edited down versions of the lp cut. They sound great....really loud and "in your face". Plus it's interesting to see where they edited and who's solo went on the cutting room floor.

There is a Lee Morgan single on Blue Note which is interesting for vinyl collectors as it was not issued on LP: Midnight Cowboy/Popi (Blue Note 45-1951). It was issued in 1969 or 1970, so it does not have any address but Liberty on the label.

Lee Morgan Tentet

Burt Collins, Lee Morgan, Joe Shepley (tp, flh) Toots Thielemans (hca, g) Duke Pearson (p, arr) Wally Richardson (g) Al Gafa (el-g) Ron Carter (b) Mickey Roker (d) Airto Moreira (per)

A&R Studios, NYC, May 22, 1969

4377 Midnight Cowboy (Blue Note 45-1951, CDP 7243 8 57748-2)

4378 Popi

know side A, whats up w/ the b side, can that be described....?

If 'Midnight Cowboy', which is the only side I've heard myself too, could be a lost Maynard Ferguson tune, only that it's transposed down at least one octave, side B - according to Chuck - was like "Herb Alpert without balls".

Back in the early '60s BN LPs cost about 80% more than regular British issues and almost a week's wages for me at that time. So singles were a viable option for me (only a third more than British singles).

I didn't mind at all turning "Back at the Chicken Shack" Or "Midnight special" over half way through. Yeah, they sounded loud! Made mainly for juke boxes. Proper stuff.

I still have one or two.

MG