Worst Mosaic Decision?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to the topic, the only Mosaic I obtained and subsequently got rid of was the Buddy Hackett set. I love Hackett's sound (his performance certainly wasn't lacking on the set) and thought I'd love this one but it was a little too much on the "easy listening" side for me so it wasn't worth keeping.

Umm, you mean "Bobby" Hackett. BUDDY Hackett was funny listening, not easy listening...

:blush:

oops! Thinking Bobby but typing Buddy.

Edited by mikelz777

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get the Max set. Never had the $$$ once it got to Running Low, have virtually all the material already in some form or fashion, and just thought that I could not get it and live with that decision.

Guess I was wrong.

I've been thinking about this remark and I have to agree - you made a mistake. Sorry Jim.

Hope that helps.

That Jim Nabors set turned out to be a dud - who'd have thunk it?

One of my favs. Especially the Sergeant Carter sessions. :tup

Yes! And Goober was a nice surprise as a sideman on those. :D

Dude, Goober isn't even on those sessions--he's on the Mayberry sessions. <_<

It was a mistake to buy this Mosaic Single:

2cb5_1_b.JPG

It was a mistake to buy this Mosaic Single:

2cb5_1_b.JPG

Give it time--and repeated listens. It'll really grow on you.

I distinctly remember when Goober appeared on a late night talk show to plug this album, when it was newly released.

It must have been either Joey Bishop or Dick Cavett, as in our rural setting, we did not get NBC and thus could not watch the Tonight Show. It was probably Joey Bishop. This doesn't seem much like Cavett material.

According to George "Goober" Lindsey's autobiography (for some unexplained reson I received it 7 years ago as a premium gift for joining an old time radio website) he preferred jazz, especially Oscar Peterson, to country music. He was also frustrated for being typecast for life as Goober even though he could do much more (or so he said).

Well nobody's hiring him for Chekkov these days.

Can't imagine why. From one of the reviews of his book on Amazon:

Not many people know that Mr. Lindsey was a student at the American Theatre Wing, attending on the GI Bill, and was trained in the Stanislavski Method of acting.

As any serious student of drama knows, Stanislavski and Chekov go together like . . . . . . . . . . . . well, Goober and Gomer!

I didn't get the Max set. Never had the $$$ once it got to Running Low, have virtually all the material already in some form or fashion, and just thought that I could not get it and live with that decision.

Guess I was wrong.

I've been thinking about this remark and I have to agree - you made a mistake. Sorry Jim.

Hope that helps.

Bunches!

I've always been in the minority around here in not being a huge fan of Mosaic packaging, but I do like the "complete sessions" aspect of the label. The reality is that if Mosaic let consumers pick and choose, they would only be able to release a tiny fraction of the music they otherwise release, and therefore a lot of sessions would never see the light of day.

I've always been in the minority around here in not being a huge fan of Mosaic packaging, but I do like the "complete sessions" aspect of the label. The reality is that if Mosaic let consumers pick and choose, they would only be able to release a tiny fraction of the music they otherwise release, and therefore a lot of sessions would never see the light of day.

well, my point is ... i would love to buy me some 1950s lou donaldson, some 1950s hank mobley or some 1960s horace parlan ... but i really don't need everything of it, sorry ... just because lou donaldson recorded about 200 albums for the blue note label in the 1950s doesn't mean i have to buy and own 100 pounds of this stuff -_-

really, what's the point of having the complete 1950s lou donaldson? i mean, besides the simple fact that you can say: look, here i have the complete 1950s lou donaldson ... -_-