Kraftwerk's vocoder is on eBay right now!

Dmitry

I think Roger Troutman actually used a talkbox for stuff like 'More Bounce to the Ounce'. It does sound kind of similar though. The spoken intro to Kraftwerk's Autobahn was apparently done with the very machine they're selling on ebay.

Edited by DatDere

Herbie's used a vocoder.

e693524o2nz.jpg

Not Herbie's greatest moment (the vocorder effect seems kind of creepy) but not the worst either.

One cut with Jaco and Tony Williams. I remember when this came out in 1977 it seemed like a real sell-out and kind of led me to lose interest in Herbie for a while. Upon relistening there are some moments here and there and some engaging arranging/composing.

And some great fashion from the 70s (cover photo) :)

Vocoders and talkboxes sound similair but are very different functionally. I think Stevie used both. There's a video on Youtube of him using a talkbox.

If you want to sound like a robot, there's nothing better than a vocoder. If you want to look like a robot, might want to go to the local hardware store. If you want to look like Herbie on that album FFA posted, Goodwill is always there for you.

e5638862del.jpg

Lot's of vocoder on Trans. Neil also used the device live on tour for a couple years in the early-to-mid 80's.

Somewhere I have a tape of a live concert of his from about 1986, where Neil sings through a Vocoder for about 4 tunes total, including two or three tunes from Trans, and one or two of his older (more popular) songs. (The tape was taken from a live radio broadcast.)

Most people hate Trans, but I sorta like it -- and I really LOVE that live tape with Crazy Horse backing Neil while he's singing through the crazy thing. Works for me!! :tup

(Wish to heck I could find another copy of that same or a similar Neil concert circa 1986 on CD (or CDR) somewhere. My old cassette hasn't been played in years, and come to think of it - I probably haven't seen it in years either.)

Guest akanalog

no need to denigrate vocoders. they are pretty cool.

i have one connected to my keyboard but i still don't understand how it works.

i have to hit a note or notes as i speak to get a sound, but then i do sound like a romantic robot.