Bill Evans Verve Box

I made what I think is an EXCELLENT find this weekend - the COMPLETE BILL EVANS ON VERVE box for $129, used but in perfect condition! [...]

Now to the original subject of the thread: my box is pretty rusty all over, and I think it looks kind of cool (although it's too big to fit on my storage shelves, so into the closet it goes). I've seen some much more artistic rust/age patterns on other copies of the box, but as they all were selling for $250-300, given the price I got, I can live with a generic looking rust pattern!

Wow! Congrats on the great snag! If I ever find such a deal, I'll post a pic of the set ... <_<

• 2 years later...

I grabbed this set on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and I really love the music. The live at Montreux 1968 is top class! :tup . Yet the box is full of rust and having your hands covered with rust everytime you want to take a CD out of its sleeve is very annoying! Mine is considerably more rusty than the ones seen on the first page of this thread but the music is worth every penny!

Although this thread is definitely not political, I am not too sure what it is doing here! :D

Edited by ASNL77

• 11 months later...

When this thread was started years ago, my box was in fine shape. It is now finally rusting pretty good, quite evenly too.

But man...it sucks to even touch it...orange fingers...

I'm gonna hafta work on it sometime...try and remove some of that stuff. I should post a picture, huh...? Okay...hold on...

BillEvansVerveBox001.jpg

BillEvansVerveBox002.jpg

BillEvansVerveBox003.jpg

I think mine's by now a little bit rustier... it's funny, all the time it was at my parents' house, it rusted very slowly, after I moved it to our own flat, it started rusting much faster... and I think it even makes a difference in what room I keep it... will have to remove the discs from the box now, I hate getting all dirty fingers each time I touch it! But the general idea I find kind of cool, I have to admit!

I think mine's by now a little bit rustier... it's funny, all the time it was at my parents' house, it rusted very slowly, after I moved it to our own flat, it started rusting much faster... and I think it even makes a difference in what room I keep it... will have to remove the discs from the box now, I hate getting all dirty fingers each time I touch it! But the general idea I find kind of cool, I have to admit!

That's what I've done, and it works well -- much easier to get the cds out to play also.

has anyone thought of applying a matte spray varnish or lacquer to their rusted box to preserve its current state? i mention this because it seems to be an accepted method of treating/preserving rusted artifacts.

I thought about that but I have no experience doing stuff like this, so I better don't try...