Kim Ubu's signature

"You're not very tall are you? - Well, I, uh, I try to be.

So you do get up, I was beginning to think you worked in bed like Marcel Proust. - Who's he? - You wouldn't know him, a French writer. - Come into my boudoir.

Speaking of horses, I like to play them myself. But I like to see them workout a little first, see if they're front runners or comefrom behind, find out what their whole card is, what makes them run. - Find out mine? - I think so. - Go ahead. - I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to get out in front, open up a little lead, take a little breather in the backstretch, and then come home free. - You don't like to be rated yourself. - I haven't met anyone yet that can do it. Any suggestions? - Well, I can't tell till I've seen you over a distance of ground. You've got a touch of class, but I don't know how, how far you can go. - A lot depends on who's in the saddle.

You've forgotten one thing - me. - What's wrong with you? - Nothing you can't fix.

I liked that. I'd like more.

She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up.

I don't like your manners. - And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.

Do you always think you can handle people like, uh, trained seals? - Uh-huh. I usually get away with it too. - How nice for you."

I think some of these lines are from the novel on which the film is based, but much of this dialogue may have been written by William Faulkner. (And I'll leave it to to Ubu to name the film.)

I think some of these lines are from the novel on which the film is based, but much of this dialogue may have been written by William Faulkner. (And I'll leave it to to Ubu to name the film.)

Apparently the flirty horse-race exchange was actually written after the film was already completed in order to spice it up (& in order to insert it they removed some necessary plot exposition, making the already arcane plot completely unintelligible).

So you do get up, I was beginning to think you worked in bed like Marcel Proust. - Who's he? - You wouldn't know him, a French writer. - Come into my boudoir.

Speaking of horses, I like to play them myself. But I like to see them workout a little first, see if they're front runners or comefrom behind, find out what their whole card is, what makes them run. - Find out mine? - I think so. - Go ahead. - I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to get out in front, open up a little lead, take a little breather in the backstretch, and then come home free. - You don't like to be rated yourself. - I haven't met anyone yet that can do it. Any suggestions? - Well, I can't tell till I've seen you over a distance of ground. You've got a touch of class, but I don't know how, how far you can go. - A lot depends on who's in the saddle.

You've forgotten one thing - me. - What's wrong with you? - Nothing you can't fix.

I don't like your manners. - And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.

Do you always think you can handle people like, uh, trained seals? - Uh-huh. I usually get away with it too. - How nice for you."

The Big Sleep, of course.

Apparently the flirty horse-race exchange was actually written after the film was already completed in order to spice it up (& in order to insert it they removed some necessary plot exposition, making the already arcane plot completely unintelligible).

I've seen both versions of the film back-to-back and the later, even less intelligible, version is the more entertaining one, I've got to admit. And maybe I'm just slow, but I still couldn't figure out exactly who killed who, or why, even in the first version. :rolleyes:

I've seen both versions of the film back-to-back and the later, even less intelligible, version is the more entertaining one, I've got to admit. And maybe I'm just slow, but I still couldn't figure out exactly who killed who, or why, even in the first version. :rolleyes:

Isn't the second version missing this Bogie and Bacall give and take??

Been awhile since I read the relatively recent (boy, is that phrase's definition beginning to elongate) Chandler bio, but my memory is that they canned the earlier, 1944 version because Bacall's followup to TO HAVE & HAVE NOT--an espionage/war flick co-starring Charles Boyer--had bombed, and her career was thought to be in danger. (I believe it was CONFIDENTIAL AGENT--based on the Graham Greene novel?) Therefore some scenes meant to recapture the sizzling chemistry she had with Bogie in the earlier film were added. For noir, Chandler, and Bogie-Bacall buffs, the chance to see both versions is a real treat (current DVD has 'em both).

Re: who killed whom, there's a story that the filmmakers called up Chandler to ask who was responsible for killing the man in the car that's being lifted out of the dockside water at one point--and he admitted that he didn't know.

I don't think the earlier version makes much more sense than the later (imho, better) version. The original novel is the result of 2 earlier short stories cobbled together, and it's not entirely coherent. As I rememer it the famous horse race discussion is placed where one story peters out and the other begins . It's a better bridge between the two than anything in the novel.

Kim Ubu?

_979280_kimjongil150.jpg

"You're not very tall are you? - Well, I, uh, I try to be"

missile.jpg

Just spilled all my coffee over the keyboard :lol::lol::lol:

Sure, it's from "The Big Sleep", and for me there's just one version (I love Charlotte Rampling, of course, but still...): the one with Bogart & Bacall.

I think the dialogue is word-by-word in the film, yet it's been a while that I saw it (but I saw it three or four times in the cinema already...) - one of my favourite films... "Key Largo" and "To Have and Have Not" are great, too, btw! (Just in case anyone feels like having more Bacall/Bogart.)

Kim Ubu?

_979280_kimjongil150.jpg

"You're not very tall are you? - Well, I, uh, I try to be"

missile.jpg

Just spilled all my coffee over the keyboard :lol::lol::lol:

Sure, it's from "The Big Sleep", and for me there's just one version (I love Charlotte Rampling, of course, but still...): the one with Bogart & Bacall.

I think the dialogue is word-by-word in the film, yet it's been a while that I saw it (but I saw it three or four times in the cinema already...) - one of my favourite films... "Key Largo" and "To Have and Have Not" are great, too, btw! (Just in case anyone feels like having more Bacall/Bogart.)

Just to add to the confusion of a confusing(yet somehow great) movie....I screwed up in my comment. When I said the second version, I really meant the original version of the original film, but was calling the earlier version restored and released a few years back the first version! :wacko: I think. Hell, now I am confused(More so than normal) So I will go to sleep. Perhaps...the BIG SLEEP! :ph34r:

You mean you memorized all this dialogue!!??? Wow, I'm impressed. BTW Do you know how much, if any, of it was in the novel? Or is it all Faulkner/Brackett/Hawks/Bogart/ Bacall?

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but the film in question is "The Big Sleep."

I love that novel!

Bogie never seemed like Marlowe to me. . . can't say I'm a fan of the movie. It pales so much in comparison to the movie in my head that is the novel.

Lon, what did you think of Dick Powell's portrayal in MURDER, MY SWEET (adaptation of Chandler's FAREWELL, MY LOVELY)? I found myself pleasantly surprised... thought he was pretty effective, playing Marlowe with a slightly-more-unhinged quality than Bogie did. (Powell, by the way, has an Indiana jazz connection--sang with the Charlie Davis Orchestra in the late 1920s. I have some scratchy recordings done at a radio station.)

David, I don't think I've seen it, I may have way back when in my younger days. . . .

I have to say I'm not much of a fan or student of film noir, or "old classic movies." Film noir. . . well it has always paled for me in comparison to the novels that I've read and reread. . . not quite at all the same experience and I prefer the novels and to unblemish the novels. Other old movies. . . well I just flat haven't seen a lot of them. I sure didn't see them before I was born or as a kid, and as an adult for years I never rented movies or watched them on tv. . . I went to see new movies, and I still do (though not this summer for logistic reasons) and when I have seen the old ones. . . I'm just not that into it for the most part. A few stand out of course, but I don't pursue them. Time management just does not allow it! My life is too crowded.

Howard Hawks claimed that he wrote the horse race dialogue.

For what it's worth. Not the most reliable source, but he was known for improvising on the set and he even got fired as director from a film or two for re-writing during filming (Come and Get It for one).

For what it's worth. Not the most reliable source, but he was known for improvising on the set and he even got fired as director from a film or two for re-writing during filming (Come and Get It for one).

Yeah, I gather Hawks often paid his writers to hang around on-set in case they were needed to rewrite a scene on moment's notice. I don't know the details about who wrote what, though.

The one thing I regret about The Big Sleep is that because Bacall was the female star, her character's psycho/nympho sister gets little screen time.

You mean you memorized all this dialogue!!??? Wow, I'm impressed. BTW Do you know how much, if any, of it was in the novel? Or is it all Faulkner/Brackett/Hawks/Bogart/ Bacall?

No no, nothing memorized... I didn't learn that at school, alas, being much too young - never even had to know any poem by heart... :(

But I'm familiar enough with the film to be quite sure that the parts I used (from the web...) for my signature are just like they happen in the film.

Being no reader of crime stories, and not familiar enough with american literature anyway, I don't know how much of the film's from the book and how much from Faulkner/Hawks, sorry.