***********todays HANKS SPECIAL DAY************

HEY CHEW-CHEW... WHATIS YOUR FAVORITE MOBLEY SIDEMAN DATE??

I'LL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THAT ONE MYSELF.

BUT I'M PRETTY SURE ABOUT MY FAVORITE MOBLEY LEADER DATE...

THIS ONE: d34048751fw.jpg

ANOTHER OVERLOOKED MOBLEY GEM... THE "LEFT BANK" LIVE DATE FROM '67 WITH THE WYNTON KELLY TRIO. SOME OF THE DEEPEST HANK I'VE YET HEARD. HELL YEAH!!

I'm going to bed after Eric Kloss is finished, but I'll think about Hank. Didn't know it was his birthday today.

Mostly, I'll think that "Far away lands" and "Thinking of home" are my fave MOBBLEEEES.

MG

(It was Tiny Grimes' birthday yesterday and I neglected that date. I'm gettin' past it.)

hank is killin me right now! im listening to the complete 50s sessions in reverse order.

does anyone know where hank is buried. is it in philly? i want to visit hank and play the saxophone on his grave

HANK MOBLEY, 55, JAZZ MUSICIAN

Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA)

June 4, 1986

Services are scheduled Friday evening for Hank Mobley, 55, once one of the leading figures in jazz.

The tenor saxophone player, who worked with such jazz greats as Thelonius Monk, Art Blakey, Miles Davis and Horace Silver, died last Friday at Misericordia Hospital of pneumonia. He lived in Southwest Philadelphia.

Mr. Mobley, who also is credited with 140 compositions, is survived by his parents, Otis and Lillian Rogers.

Friends may call from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Johnson Funeral Home, 46th Street and Woodland Avenue. Services will follow at 8 p.m. Burial will be made at 10 a.m. Saturday at Mount Lawn Cemetery in Sharon Hill.

Mount Lawn Cemetery (Lincoln Memorial Park)

Delaware County, Pennsylvania

84th Street & Hook Road

Sharon Hill, PA 19079

215-729-8222

610-586-8220

BTW, make sure you visit Tammi Terrell and Bessie Smith while you're there.

Edited by Chalupa

Saw Hank a few times during his stay in Chicago. Once in a church with his "working band" of Muhal Richard Abrams, Frank Gordon, Rufus Reid and Wilbur Campbell. Once in an all-star deal put on by Joe Segal - Hank, Jug, Hank Crawford, (maybe) Von Freeman and a good rhythm section. Don't think it was the concert pictured, but maybe. Hank was always friendly and "cool" when I encountered him.

Guest akanalog

Saw Hank a few times during his stay in Chicago. Once in a church with his "working band" of Muhal Richard Abrams, Frank Gordon, Rufus Reid and Wilbur Campbell. Once in an all-star deal put on by Joe Segal - Hank, Jug, Hank Crawford, (maybe) Von Freeman and a good rhythm section. Don't think it was the concert pictured, but maybe. Hank was always friendly and "cool" when I encountered him.

damn, son. i would love to hear anything by that "working" band. interesting lineup.

we already discussed muhal r. abrams with eddie harris, but i guess he did have "catholic" tastes....