Happy Birthday Big John Patton

I wish I could've seen Patton live and met the man. From all the great personal stories and anecdotes Soul Stream has shared, he seems to have been a very gracious and kind man. Happy Birthday, Big John.

That he was! Wish you can have seen/met him as well Jim, you would have DUG! And as Patton used to say..."Deeeeg?!"

I'm playing tonight and am going to do a lot of his signature tunes he played 'till the end of his time here on earth. Stuff like Minor Swing, Milk & Honey, The Way I Feel, The Rock, Lite Hit, Along Came John, The Yodel, The Turnaround, Funky Mama, ect. and although I never knew him to play it live later in life....gotta throw in Patton & Grant's arrangement of "Surrey With The Fringe On Top" 'cause it swings like hell!

I wish I could've seen Patton live and met the man. From all the great personal stories and anecdotes Soul Stream has shared, he seems to have been a very gracious and kind man. Happy Birthday, Big John.

Yes thank you soulstream for helping me learn a little bit more about this great musician and composer. Sure wish I could be at your gig to hear you playing these tunes. I will listen to big john and grant on cd instead and keep trying to unravel some of Grant's comping pattern moves on these great performances.

• 2 weeks later...

tell her it has a virus on it!

outrageous ........what ever will they demand next.

as for more BJP to listen to I would have to invite you to listen to the Boogaloo Cd and not enjoy any of the tracks on there.

I also think Blue John is a crackin lp that is underestimated AND it has George Braith on it too

No particular order

Night flight (hope you don't mean WRITTEN by BJP)

The silver meter

The way I feel

Ding dong

Congo chant

The yodel

Rakin' and scrapin'

My missus want the computer now....

MG

I forgot to return!

Now, what was I going to put?

I'll never be free

Cookin' with Clarence

Funky mama

Or, if you only want tracks with BJP as a leader, what Andy said - go to Boogaloo and get

Barefootin'

I want to go home

MG

Saw BJP for in 1999 at the Elbow Room on the North Side of Chicago in a group that included Ken Vandermark on reeds and George Freeman on guitar. No one compromised their style at all, which made for a wild and fun set. The small venue was packed to the gills with much love given to Big John.

His output for Blue Note is a treasure.

Saw BJP for in 1999 at the Elbow Room on the North Side of Chicago in a group that included Ken Vandermark on reeds and George Freeman on guitar. No one compromised their style at all, which made for a wild and fun set. The small venue was packed to the gills with much love given to Big John.

His output for Blue Note is a treasure.

Glad to hear that the place was packed. I've heard a recording and it IS wild and fun. But I think Ken affected George's playing a bit.

MG