Cecil McBee

BFrank

This guy has a great BIG sound. Always brings something interesting to his appearances. I'm sure he's been on lots of albums, but he is definitely someone who deserves much wider recognition.

I saw him last winter with McCoy, Hutcherson and DeJohnette. Quite a quartet and he was no small part of it.

He was a great addition to the Tolliver groups of the 70's, too.

Not many albums out under his name, but I've managed to grab a few. Right now I'm listening to "Compassion" (not available on CD, I don't think) which has a wonderful and moody title tune that takes up all of side 2. Filling out the sextet on this album are Joe Gardner, Chico Freeman, Dennis Moorman, Steve McCall and Don Moye.

I also have on CD "Alternate Spaces" and "Unspoken". Grab 'em if you see 'em.

Cecil McBee first got my attention when he played with Charles Lloyd. Then I heard him play wonderfully on some of my favorite Pharoah Sanders records. He made a few records on India Navigation with Chico Freeman, including my favorite, "Kings of Mali", which unfortunately never made it to CD. It's a phenominal session that includes Don Moye (playing as well as he ever did on record), Chico Freeman, and Jay Hoggard. Wayne Shorter's "Etcetera", Andrew Hill's "Compulsion", and Sam Rivers's "Dimensions and Extensions" are other favorite sessions with Cecil McBee that I subsequently became familiar with.

He played at a local university a few years ago with Joanne Brackeen. I got to speak with him for a few minutes afterwards. He was very gracious, and I think he was a little surprised to meet a long-time fan in a small town in the middle of Michigan. It was hard for me not to gush with enthusiasm and appreciation, but I think I was cool B)

I consider Cecil McBee to be one of the masters of the bass.

FLYING OUT, McBee's 1982 INdia Navigation date with Olu Dara, Billy Hart and the "mini-string section" of John Blake (violin) and David Eyges (cello) is also definitely worth hearing. Not you average blowing date by any means.

Also, dig what he does with The Leaders Trio (with Kirk Lightsey and Don Moye):

d69604k3cjh.jpg

I was just listening to McBee last night, on Charles Tolliver's Live at Historic Slugs' on Strata East. What a quartet that was! For anyone that hasn't yet heard Tolliver's work on Strata East, our favorite troubadors of rhyme and reason are offering quite a good price on select titles here.

$6.99? Dig.

Love McBee's playing. In addition to ETCETERA being a favorite spot, he's absolutely on fire throughout Chico Freeman's DESTINY'S DANCE. Also check out Horace Tapscott's DARK TREE VOLS. 1 & 2 - one of the essential jazz recordings of all time. McBee is central to the drama there.

How many version's of "Wilpan's Walk" are there?

Cecil's late 60's/early 70s work with Pharoah and Sam Rivers remains a defining characteristic of those artsts' work from that time, as does the recorded sound of his bass (in no way "natural", but a very effective "color" for those artists and for that time).

McBee has never really been a "name", he's just stuck around and kept playing a bunch of great music with a lot of great players. Sounds like a plan to me.

How many version's of "Wilpan's Walk" are there?

At least 2 that I know of - "Slugs" and "Destiny's Dance" (Chico Freeman).

LOVE that tune! :tup

Amazing prices at Dusty Groove, too. Almost worth getting just to have a second copy. Thanks for the tip, Late. B)

This year I was fortunate to see McBee appear in what will definately be two of my favorite live performances of the year. The first was a Music Inc reunion performance with Tolliver. Stanley Cowell and Billy Drummond filling the drums chair. Truly a historic concert and McBee played wonderfully. In the past month I also caught him playing with Sonny Fortune in a quartet that also included John Hicks. Another very good show.

McBee is a master.

Add another - bay area multi-reedist Harvey Wainapel's THE HANG (Spirit Nectar), with Kenny Barron on piano and the Organissimo forums' own TrumpetGuy, Phil Grenadier, on trumpet, has a smokin' version that is titled simply "Wilpan's," but it's the very same McBee tune.

BTW, THE HANG is a truly GREAT album, probably little known to most outside Northern California. Really should not be missed.

Edited by DrJ

Guest GregM

This guy has a great BIG sound. Always brings something interesting to his appearances. I'm sure he's been on lots of albums, but he is definitely someone who deserves much wider recognition.

I saw him last winter with McCoy, Hutcherson and DeJohnette. Quite a quartet and he was no small part of it.

I saw that stint at Yoshi's too. McBee was relying heavily on the sheet music at that show. I couldn't see him too well because my date and I were seated right at the foot of Hutcherson's vibes. It was awesome. I still have visions of Hutch's face and the flurry of mallets. And yes, Etc is one of my favorites.

Another one that I had forgotten about and just put on tonight by "accident" is Stanley Cowell's "Equipoise" on Galaxy. It's a GREAT trio date with Cecil and Roy Haynes. Unfortunately, I don't think this one has ever been on CD. It definitely deserves to be re-released.

:tup:tup:tup

BTW, I just looked up that Roy Brooks album on AMG. That looks like a KILLER date! I'm not at all familiar with it. I'll have to keep my eyes open on the used shelves for that one (it must be OOP, right?)

Edited by BFrank

• 3 months later...

Managed to find a SEALED copy of The Leaders' "Mudfoot" today at Amoeba. All I've had up until now is a cassette. The sound is so much better, it's amazing. Not only that, the tune "Blues at the Bottom" does not appear on the tape at all - another bonus!

Liner notes, too. I'm very happy. B)