Big John: accent on the blues

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the samples reveals two tenors. AMG just mentions Marvin Cabell, but doesn't offer a full personel. It's just speculation (maybe someone with the recording can verify who the other tenor is, or if he was listed at all), but with a tune called Buddy Boy I think there is a possibility that Buddy Terry may be on this.

Edited by Harold_Z

Wan't it Marvin Cabell?

The original LP came out on Liberty and has been reissued as a 'rare groove' on LP and CD. I think it's OOP and it isn't on the Mosaic Select.

The original BN/Liberty lists Marvin Cabell on tenor (alsoflute and saxello).

The CD release added four tracks to the original six ones. George Coleman was also on tenor on three of the added tracks.

The three extra tracks with George Coleperson on "Accent":

Buddy boy

2 J

Sweet pea

were recorded at the same session (9 June 1969) as the three extra tracks on "Memphis to New York spirit". (They were extra in the sense that they hadn't been intended for issue on either BN BST84366 or BST84418, which were successive planned releases for "Memphis..." but weren't issued.)

The extra tracks on "Memphis..." were

Man from Tanganyika

Cissy Strut

Dragon slayer

One day, when I can get round to learning how to do it, I want to burn myself a CD with those six tracks on it. I just cannot imagine the rationale behind breaking up that album and issuing it as two extra bits to completely unrelated albums.

MG

One day, when I can get round to learning how to do it, I want to burn myself a CD with those six tracks on it. I just cannot imagine the rationale behind breaking up that album and issuing it as two extra bits to completely unrelated albums.

MG

Is this another round of emails between us then?

Give me a shout when you are free

My first post at the old BNBB regarded the tone achieved by Marvin Cabell on these Patton albums. I still thinks it's pretty off and will probably get flamed this time round too..

Tone? You mean the sound he makes?

MG

yeah sound, it's weak and very uncertain , wavering around much of the time, I have to assume it's deliberate

My first post at the old BNBB regarded the tone achieved by Marvin Cabell on these Patton albums. I still thinks it's pretty off and will probably get flamed this time round too..

Tone? You mean the sound he makes?

MG

yeah sound, it's weak and very uncertain , wavering around much of the time, I have to assume it's deliberate

I haven't listened to it in a couple years, but I don't remember "feeling" it as much as I was hoping to. Maybe that's why, but it doesn't stick out in my mind. I'll have to listen to the record later and jog the memory.

I've always enjoyed Campbell's contributions to the album--rough and somewhat unstable, to be sure, but an effective antidote to Patton's dazzling control and Ulmer's (still nascent--if already unconventional) discourse. He may be my favorite part of the album: a cherry bomb in the cake. There's something vaguely Rahsaan-ish about his timbre on these cuts, and his phrasing and sense of dynamics are strikingly advanced (in an 'avant' sort of way--hey, it was about that time...).

I like Marvin Cabell's sound. It's not the usual sort of tenor sound I like - nothing like Illinois, Jug or Gator Tail. It's what I think of - probably inaccurately - as a Chicago sound. A somewhat thin, very penetrating sound. Sonny Cox (admittedly an altoist) had this kind of sound (but a bit more strangled), and listening to Marvin also brings thoughts of Von Freeman and Rahsaan to mind. George Freeman has this kind of sound, too.

The guy made hardly any recordings and there's very little said about him in the sleeve notes to those he did make; sleeve notes were "out" in the late '60s/early '70s. And by the time "Memphis to New York spirit" came out in '96, probably no one knew anything about him.

As far as I know, he only made five recordings: John Patton's "Accent" (Aug '69) and "Memphis" (Oct '70)(plus the June '69 session split between those CDs); Lonnie Smith's "Mama Wailer" (Jul '71); and Johnny Lytle's "People and love" ( Aug '72). Plus, he wrote "Captain Nasty" - a fabulously fun burner - and "Village Lee" - one of the greeeeaazziiieesttt.

MG

I swear that Cabell was on some multi-tenor Black Saint/Soul Note side but I can't remember what it was and can't find a reference to it. But I'll wager a good dollar or so that it's true.

You know whose tone I hear in him on the Patton date? Bennie Maupin.

Can't trace any appearance by Cabell on any Black Saint/Soul Note dates

Nor can I, but I swear I remember seeing him on some three tenor date on that label from the early/mid 80s. It wasn't an "out" thing either, just three tenor players and a rhythm section playing tunes. Can't remember who the other two tenors were, but they were better-know than Cabell.

Such a side exists! Maybe it was a different label...

Can't trace any appearance by Cabell on any Black Saint/Soul Note dates

Nor can I, but I swear I remember seeing him on some three tenor date on that label from the early/mid 80s. It wasn't an "out" thing either, just three tenor players and a rhythm section playing tunes. Can't remember who the other two tenors were, but they were better-know than Cabell.

Such a side exists! Maybe it was a different label...

There's no mention of anything other than the five I posted earlier in Lord. Not that that's an absolute guarantee, of course, but if there were two better-known tenor players involved, I'd expect someone to have told him. And it's a label that isnt too difficult to research.

I suppose it wasn't James Branch Cabell? :)

MG

No. I definitely remember seeing this side, seeing "Marvin Cabell" and thinking "HOLY SHIT", coming back to the store an hour later with my checkbook, and finding it already gone (if that is in fact something one can find...).

And yes, I was sober. :g

Oh you mean this one?

Mmm!! Sober :o Confusing Kudu and Black Saint :crazy:

:g:g