Martha Stewart Living: Jazz For the Holidays...`

Hardbopjazz

Hey, I'm a big fan of the Thornhill band, and the main reason is the chance to hear some of Gil's early work. His arrangements of the Bird tunes (Anthropology, Donna Lee and Yardbird Suite) show a remarkable assimilation of the bebop language, right on the heels of the debut of these tunes. Most importantly, they bear the stamp of Gil's own personality. Kind of like hearing Thad's Basie charts before Thad started his own band.

Buster's Last Stand, There's A Small Hotel, Arab Dance, La Poloma, The Song Is You and others. All great stuff. Very "visionary" IMHO. :tup:g

I did a slightly skewed version of Snowfall on my CD. My dad requested that I include that tune. I then kind of screwed with it a bit (harmony, meter; as arrangers are wont to do :) ), and when I played it for him he was a bit perplexed. But he eventually warmed to it.

The fact that this post came about on a thread about Martha Stewart is a bit embarrassing. :blink:

It's a great tune (have you heard Bobby Hutcherson's Jamal-icized/Poinciana-cized version?) and I too love that band (even a lot of the non-Gil charts got a thing going that's pretty damn cool).

But Tex Freakin' Beneke? :bad:

That's just wrong...

MS has poor taste :P (or she's just searchin' for a mood).

Actually, I don't mind the Beneke version,

but, then again, I can listen to Tiny Tim's Christmas album :lol:

Martha doesn't know jazz, there are too many awful tracks in that collection. She would have been better off picking true greats, along with chestnuts like Eric Doney's treatment of Bill Evans' "My Bells" on his CD Christmas in a Small Town.

Chris Botti, Steve Tyrell, Eartha Kitt? :bad:

Edited by Ken Dryden

Martha doesn't know jazz, there are too many awful tracks in that collection. She would have been better off picking true greats, along with chestnuts like Eric Doney's treatment of Bill Evans' "My Bells" on his CD Christmas in a Small Town.

It is quite possible that Martha did not pick any of these titles, hired a consulting firm to do so, and fulfilled her entire direct role in the project when she posed for the cover photo.

It is quite possible that Martha did not pick any of these titles, hired a consulting firm to do so, and fulfilled her entire direct role in the project when she posed for the cover photo.

"Quite possible?"

I can almost guarantee you that Martha didn't pick the tunes. Heck, she likely doesn't even know the CD even exists. Her corporate empire is vast; she's a marketing machine. Someone licenses a collection of Christmas-themed jazz tunes, pastes her name and photo on it, and sells it to her fans.

Don't really see the problem with that. This sure as shit isn't intended for any snobbish, elitist, educated jazz connoisseur... -_-

I can almost guarantee you that Martha didn't pick the tunes. Heck, she likely doesn't even know the CD even exists. Her corporate empire is vast; she's a marketing machine. Someone licenses a collection of Christmas-themed jazz tunes, pastes her name and photo on it, and sells it to her fans.

While agree it is unlikely that Martha picked the tunes, I don't believe her empire is so vast that she isn't fully aware that a decision was made to license a collection of Christmas-themed jazz tunes.