West Coast Jazz on LIBERTY

The Liberty jazz albums had some of the weirdest covers! The 'Unpredictable' Steve White cover is a good example.

In a similar vein was the cover to the Jimmy Rowles Trio date 'Rare - But Well Done' by Gloria Cortella. The music on that one is better than on the Steve White (White's Nocturne dates were much better, weird too!)!

Some other Liberty jazz albums:

6001 - Jazz in Hollywood (Jazz All Stars)

6002 - Dom Frontiere Sextet

6003 - Herbie Harper/Bud Shank/Bob Gordon

6004 - Abe Most (Mr. Clarinet)

6005 - Hollywood Saxophone Quartet

6006 - Jack Millman (Shades of Jazz To Come)

6008 - Bob Enevoldsen (Smorgsabord)

6009 - Buddy Childers (Sam Songs)

6012 - Red Norvo (Vibe-Rations)

If you can find the Steve White Liberty side w/just the cover and not the record, buy it. Lousy record (well, "lousy" is a bit much. Let's call it boring instead), but truly bizarre cover!

I concur . Instrumentally , White is dull . Another example of a guy who was not his own man , who was not playing himself . White took Prez and Getz and added.........nothing . Nat Hentoff's 2 1/2 star review of the Liberty side was partly based on this same criticism , however Nat went on to say , " His decision to vocalize is extremely ill-advised for just about every reason in the book " . This strikes me as unfairly censorious . Whether one appreciates White's pixilated singing or not ( and those who dig Dorough , Allison or Frishberg might ) , whatever originality White possessed was in this aspect of his musical personality . The decision to experiment is never ill-advised regardless of what we think of the results .

The Liberty jazz albums had some of the weirdest covers! The 'Unpredictable' Steve White cover is a good example.

In a similar vein was the cover to the Jimmy Rowles Trio date 'Rare - But Well Done' by Gloria Cortella.

SteveWhiteonLiberty.jpg

JimmyRowlesonLiberty.jpg

JackMillmanonLiberty.jpg

BobbyHammackonLiberty.jpg

BuddyChildersonLiberty.jpg

EDIT: Fixed broken image links .

Edited by Chas

Your "one time announcement" showed up twice in your post. Is that a reflection of your veracity?

Chuck I'm not sure what you're talking about . Did the image-hosting service I use put an ad in place of my image ? I'm not seeing any ads . If this is the case I will use another service . Why so quick to question my veracity ??

• 2 years later...