Yakety Yak - The Leiber-Stoller Big Band

Dan Gould

Stumbled across this (in less than stellar condition) and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if its something to track down.

THE LEIBER-STOLLER BIG BAND: YAKETY YAK, Atlantic 8047. Versions of Leiber & Stoller hits such as Poison Ivy, Kansas City, Jailhouse Rock, Smokey Joe’s Café, Charlie Brown, and Hound Dog, performed by all-star jazz musicians including Kenny Burrell, Al Grey, Frank Foster, Seldon Powell, Freddie Green, Hank Jones, Sonny Payne, Thad Jones, Eugene Young, Frank Wess, Ellis Larkin, Joe Newman, Ernie Royal, et al. Engineer: Phil Ramone.

Looks like, wild, wacky stuff to me. :g

Stumbled across this (in less than stellar condition) and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if its something to track down.

THE LEIBER-STOLLER BIG BAND: YAKETY YAK, Atlantic 8047. Versions of Leiber & Stoller hits such as Poison Ivy, Kansas City, Jailhouse Rock, Smokey Joe’s Café, Charlie Brown, and Hound Dog, performed by all-star jazz musicians including Kenny Burrell, Al Grey, Frank Foster, Seldon Powell, Freddie Green, Hank Jones, Sonny Payne, Thad Jones, Eugene Young, Frank Wess, Ellis Larkin, Joe Newman, Ernie Royal, et al. Engineer: Phil Ramone.

I had the record years ago, got rid of it. On paper it looks like it might cook, but I recall it was pretty flat, very few solos, mundane arrangements. :tdown

• 1 month later...

I've got that one. I wouldn't say it's as dull as Stereojack says but it is much more conventional indeed than one might think at first sight.

You might consider it some kind of

"The Count Basie Orchestra (a somewhat restrained version of it - late 50s style) Plays The Coasters and Elvis Presley Songbook"

According to the liner notes Frank Foster had a hand in the arrangements.

An amusing record to have for its curiosity value, anyway.

For years in the mid-sixties I used to see this in cut-out bins. I think it had a picture of Leiber and Stoller in bowler hats on the cover. Never turned it over and read the personnel. By the time I heard that it was virtually the Basie band of the time I couldn't find it anywhere.

• 1 month later...

I had the record years ago, got rid of it. On paper it looks like it might cook, but I recall it was pretty flat, very few solos, mundane arrangements. :tdown

Thanks to Stefan Wood, I've received a transfer of this and given it a listen. Jack has it exactly right, and I am very thankful I didn't throw money after this one. Let it go, if you ever see it in the bins.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I thought that the readers of this forum might like to know about this reissue coming from Collectors' Choice February 17th:

Artist: The Leiber-Stoller Big Band

Title: Yakety Yak

Put the Basie band together with Mike Leiber and Jerry Stoller and you have one gloriously swinging affair! In fact, this 1960 album probably has more legends on it than any other album on our entire Collectors’ Choice Music roster, starting with Leiber and Stoller themselves, perhaps the greatest rock ‘n’ roll songwriting team ever, then featuring such folks as arranger/saxophonist Frank Foster, Red Mitchell, Hank Jones, Sonnny Payne, Ellis Larkin, Kenny Burrell and recording engineer Phil Ramone (heck, even the venerable Nat Hentoff writes the notes)! Stoller states in the notes that “We wanted to see, in short, if these songs could get up and walk by themselves,” and, believe us, they RUN! Includes •Yakety Yak; Loving You; Black Denim Trousers & Motorcycle Boots; Bazoom; Poison Ivy; Kansas City; Jailhouse Rock; Smokey Joe’s Cafe; Don’t; Charlie Brown•, and Hound Dog. The rockin’-est big band album ever, a Collectors’ Choice Music exclusive! Release date: February 17th.

Hi,

I thought that the readers of this forum might like to know about this reissue coming from Collectors' Choice February 17th:

Put the Basie band together with Mike Leiber and Jerry Stoller and you have one gloriously swinging affair! In fact, this 1960 album probably has more legends on it than any other album on our entire Collectors’ Choice Music roster, starting with Leiber and Stoller themselves, perhaps the greatest rock ‘n’ roll songwriting team ever, then featuring such folks as arranger/saxophonist Frank Foster, Red Mitchell, Hank Jones, Sonnny Payne, Ellis Larkin, Kenny Burrell and recording engineer Phil Ramone (heck, even the venerable Nat Hentoff writes the notes)! Stoller states in the notes that “We wanted to see, in short, if these songs could get up and walk by themselves,” and, believe us, they RUN! Includes •Yakety Yak; Loving You; Black Denim Trousers & Motorcycle Boots; Bazoom; Poison Ivy; Kansas City; Jailhouse Rock; Smokey Joe’s Cafe; Don’t; Charlie Brown•, and Hound Dog. The rockin’-est big band album ever, a Collectors’ Choice Music exclusive! Release date: February 17th.

This has been discussed before:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...toller+big+band

• 3 weeks later...

Leiber-Stoller Big Band w/Count Basie Coming Feb. 17th From Collectors’ Choice!