NFL chat thread

I don't bet on sports. Don't need to. The games are interesting enough.

I don't bet either, as a rule. However, once each year (and the time is approaching) we have a guy in the office who goes out to Vegas and we all kick in $50 and bet on one game -- all or nothing. We've done this for a few years, and have always won! We use the proceeds to throw a party. Plus, we have a party watching the game we bet on.

We always pick a dog of a game with two bad teams. Usually in this situation the home team gets a few points just because they're the home team. So last year, for instance, I believe we took the Titans to beat Miami at Miami. I believe Miami was favored by a point or two.

It does add some excitement watching the game. Of course, the downside is, you're forced to watch two bad teams play.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still early, but the Patriots look GOOD against the Cowboys so far.

If the Cowboys lose by 10 or less, I'll consider it a positive sign as to where this team is right now.

Sure, we go into it 5-0, but it's a damn soft 5-0. Lots of work has been done with fine results, but even more remains to be done. This game will go a long way towards identifying what/where that is to all concerned.

Still early, but the Patriots look GOOD against the Cowboys so far.

If the Cowboys lose by 10 or less, I'll consider it a positive sign as to where this team is right now.

Sure, we go into it 5-0, but it's a damn soft 5-0. Lots of work has been done with fine results, but even more remains to be done. This game will go a long way towards identifying what/where that is to all concerned.

I kinda liked the way the Patriot offense waved bye-bye with their knuckles: Scored with only 19 seconds left on the clock.

A good ol' fashioned Ca'boy butt kickin' and on their home turf :g:g:g

Some local fans were expecting this to be an evenly matched game, but they were suffering from Reality Deficit Disorder (kinda like the people who think that Bond didn't juice....).

Hopefully this took care of that.

Cheap shot. <_<

There is a big, giant, huge chasm of a difference between assuming something happened and actually witnessing it before your very eyes. No comparission at all, JSnrgy. None.

BTW....I especially enjoyed the wimp-out knee down by Romo to close it out.

Whipped pups and they knew it.

He should save "ecstatic" for if/when they beat Indy in a few weeks.

This was simply a case of an established dynasty taking care of a team that's finally turned some much needed to be turned corners but still has a loooong way to go.

Dallas has a lot of proving to do, too.

They have a very soft schedule ahead of them.

First, the best team won, no doubt.

But I also think after a slow start, the Cowboys played fairly well for a while. They were leading midway through the 3rd quarter. But their defense couldn't stop the Pats, and were on the field far too long.

There was a VERY questionable pass interference call on Pat Watkins against Moss in the end zone. In fact, even the announcers thought Moss ran into him, and that Watkins was playing the ball. That gave the Patriots the ball on the one yard line (though in honesty they would have most likely put SOME points on the board on that drive anyway). And that late touchdown was ticky-tack on the Pats part, but it doesn't really bother me. As I said, the best team won.

I think the Cowboys are playing well on defense, considering they've missed either Terence Newman or Anthony Henry as their starting CB for every game so far. It's quite a dropoff to the backups. They are also missing their starting nose tackle (Jason Ferguson) and Greg Ellis is just getting back into shape.

On offense they're missing Terry Glenn, who adds a dimension to the passing game that isn't there now. Crayton and Hurd have played admirably in his absence, but they're both better suited to the 3rd receiver position.

I'm ok with the loss today, overall. There's room for improvement, and they know it. The Pats look possibly better than they have in any of their Superbowl years.

You've not heard me say, nor will you anytime soon, if ever. anything other than that Dallas is finally heading in a better direction. There's finally focus, direction, chemistry, and some raw skills that rise above mere "potential". That however, is just the beginning. The very begiining.

Many of my fellow Cowboys fans are still stuck with delusions of Manifest Destiny dancing in their head. We've always had those types, and they have always been fools of the basest order. Now is no different.

Let me see where this team is in another 2-3 years, and then I might get more "confident". Right now, baby's just taken his first fall after some really...unexpectedly delightful first steps.

BTW....I especially enjoyed the wimp-out knee down by Romo to close it out.

That was not a good sign as to how this team's character is going to develop. Not at all.

Nor was the decision to go for three in the 4th.

I didn't like the FG in the 4th either. It still made it a 2 score game, down by 11 after the FG. That was a call that Dennis Franchione would have made.

Gonna be a heckuva Sunday to watch football for the NFC East. Dallas vs New England. Washington vs Green Bay. Ahhhhhhh, brings back memories......

I don't know about y'all, but my money's on New England. Buffalo exposed some serious flaws in Dallas overall game plan. It's New England's game to lose.

Just ONCE I'd like to be right about something sportswise that DIDN'T affect my teams negatively.

Last time I was right about something like this, the Mavs were swept by the Warriors in the first round.

I could go ahead and predict the demise of the Stars, but that would be too easy. :w

Edited by Big Al

I was in Chicago over the weekend and caught only the first half of the Pats-Cowboys. I came out more impressed by Dallas' showing than I was by NE's play. There's no doubt in my mind that this was a Super Bowl preview. I can't see any other NFC team approaching Dallas. I don't think Green Bay can do it, nor Seattle.

Pats look like a powerhouse. Brady makes some key mistakes but it doesn't seem to matter. Players go down on injuries and it doesn't seem to matter. Lots of firepower on both sides of the ball. This is clearly the most talented team in NE history, including the teams that won 3 Super Bowls over the last six years. No wonder there is early chatter about an undefeated season. This team must be scary for other teams.

Gonna be a heckuva Sunday to watch football for the NFC East. Dallas vs New England. Washington vs Green Bay. Ahhhhhhh, brings back memories......

I don't know about y'all, but my money's on New England. Buffalo exposed some serious flaws in Dallas overall game plan. It's New England's game to lose.

Just ONCE I'd like to be right about something sportswise that DIDN'T affect my teams negatively.

Last time I was right about something like this, the Mavs were swept by the Warriors in the first round.

I could go ahead and predict the demise of the Stars, but that would be too easy. :w

Face it, Guys.

Dallas got whooped up on and by a team who actually faces real competition.

The Ca'boyz are a paper lion.

Face it, Guys.

Dude, you're getting annoying. None of the Cowboy followers in this thread are under any illusions that they're the best team in the league.

The Cowboys aren't the Patriot's equal, but nobody else really is either, I don't think.

The Cowboys beat the Colts (oh wait, they don't face real competition) last season, when they won the Superbowl. They're a pretty decent team (one which has definite room for improvement, and hopefully will regain all of their starters that they've been playing without) and they are clearly one of the top 2-3 teams in the NFC.

Edited by Aggie87

That Pats ARE the best team in football right now. BUT...they do play in the weakest division in the AFC (similar to Seattle in the NFC West) so are pretty much guaranteed a division win before the season even starts.

The main problem in the NFL right now is that the AFC is by far the better conference so there's not much competition when they play against each other.

Face it, Guys.

I wish you actually had something to contribute to a thread besides insults and arrogance.

Edited by Big Al

That Pats ARE the best team in football right now. BUT...they do play in the weakest division in the AFC (similar to Seattle in the NFC West) so are pretty much guaranteed a division win before the season even starts.

The main problem in the NFL right now is that the AFC is by far the better conference so there's not much competition when they play against each other.

The main problem in the NFL right now is that there are only a handful of teams that are any good. ... And Dallas is one of those teams, so there you go. The rest, frankly, stink.

I've got the Sunday Ticket deal on the dish, and it's actually difficult to find one damn game out of all of them that's worth watching.

The Patriots seem to be able to play football at a professional level. Dallas also. Indy, of course. After that .... what?

This whole season boils down to this: Will it be Indy or New England that beats the crap out of whatever team stumbles into the Super Bowl from the NFC. All this talk I hear on espn about the Giants defense and Brett Favre and on and on, it's pointless. Those teams will not beat the Pats. No way.

There are some baaaad teams in this league that are barely able to complete a pass.

The main problem in the NFL right now is that there are only a handful of teams that are any good. ... And Dallas is one of those teams, so there you go. The rest, frankly, stink.

I've got the Sunday Ticket deal on the dish, and it's actually difficult to find one damn game out of all of them that's worth watching.

The Patriots seem to be able to play football at a professional level. Dallas also. Indy, of course. After that .... what?

This whole season boils down to this: Will it be Indy or New England that beats the crap out of whatever team stumbles into the Super Bowl from the NFC. All this talk I hear on espn about the Giants defense and Brett Favre and on and on, it's pointless. Those teams will not beat the Pats. No way.

There are some baaaad teams in this league that are barely able to complete a pass.

Yet another compelling reason why the salary cap must die: The unfortunate result just makes everybody mediocre.

Edited by GoodSpeak