NFL chat thread

Moss didn't run all the routes, and this limited the Pats' offense. The team is likely to trade for Deion Branch as there are only four wide receivers left on the team. Branch is not a pure replacement for Randy Moss. For now, Brandon Tate and Wes Welker will start with Julian Edelman coming in as third receiver. Rookie Taylor Price is next on the depth chart. Rookie tight ends, Gronkowski and Hernandez have receiving duties. Moss was hurting the team's offense.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moss didn't run all the routes, and this limited the Pats' offense. The team is likely to trade for Deion Branch as there are only four wide receivers left on the team. Branch is not a pure replacement for Randy Moss. For now, Brandon Tate and Wes Welker will start with Julian Edelman coming in as third receiver. Rookie Taylor Price is next on the depth chart. Rookie tight ends, Gronkowski and Hernandez have receiving duties. Moss was hurting the team's offense.

sure he don't run all the routes, i think he just can run the post besides goin' straight ahead, but he opened defenses and still carrid two defenders, he was helping brady by keeping defenses honest to the deep pass and that opened a lot of space for welker (whom i still think was the best WR on the field even when moss was there)

mark this, the patriots offense will score less points since now, they're luck the got gronk and hernandez they're already important on the passing scheme but what moss can bring to the table can't be replaced, i don't get how he was hurting that offense

Is anybody playing consistently good football yet this year?

I guess it's safe to say Alex Smith is a bust. Only saw the highlights (lowlights) from last night's game, but he has 6 TDs, 9 INTs so far this year and a 62.1 QB rating.

49ers are a big disappointment so far.

OTOH, the Cowboys are a pleasant surprise. :P

I'm hoping that some NFC East team other than the 'Boyz gets to the Super Bowl in Jerryworld this year. Against the Steelers. My preference would be the Redskins, but I'd settle for the Iggles or Gents. Jerry's head might explode.

A grand total of 2 teams in the AFC West and NFC West have winning records. That would be Arizona and KC. Anybody pick either of those two to be leading their divisions in the early going?

Falcons look good. It was the Browns they beat Sunday, but still. You gotta win the games you're supposed to win. Which Green Bay, Cincinnati, New Orleans and San Diego didn't do.

Love the Ravens.

Will Carson Palmer get it together this season?

OK, I had been gone for awhile and I don't know your nicknames. Who is the Iggles and who is the Gents?

BruceW :huh:

Iggles= Eagles, Gents= Giants

:D Sorry Bruce. Yeah, Eagles and Giants.

Heard on Around the Horn earlier tonight that Favre is the 31st-ranked QB in the league. Not surprised, but kind of surprising anyways.

Anyone betting he'll improve that ranking tonight with Moss? He's got a possible sexual harassment issue hanging over his head. No telling how he'll react. Could be lights out. Could be useless. Could be no different than he has been this season. Who the hell knows?

It would take a betting man with some serious cujones to go either way tonight. Jets are favored by 4 points.

OK, I had been gone for awhile and I don't know your nicknames. Who is the Iggles and who is the Gents?

BruceW :huh:

Iggles= Eagles, Gents= Giants

:D Sorry Bruce. Yeah, Eagles and Giants.

Heard on Around the Horn earlier tonight that Favre is the 31st-ranked QB in the league. Not surprised, but kind of surprising anyways.

Anyone betting he'll improve that ranking tonight with Moss? He's got a possible sexual harassment issue hanging over his head. No telling how he'll react. Could be lights out. Could be useless. Could be no different than he has been this season. Who the hell knows?

It would take a betting man with some serious cujones to go either way tonight. Jets are favored by 4 points.

If I had the money I'd bet on Favre tonight.

He may not have brains now, but two things Farve has is an eye for beautiful women and cujones. He now has a "long" threat and if the line holds, you can bet he will try it over and over again until he gets that "touchdown" to prove that Moss was a good trade.

Edited by BruceW

Favre should be buttered and served up with breakfast...

I'm not so sure about that (even with the last minute interception). Minn has no ground game all of a sudden. That is not Favre's fault. He doesn't call those plays and the offensive line is not holding up period. With Moss (long), Harvin (any range) and then Peterson running, they should be winning. They are not because of the line mostly. Defense keep giving up too many points also. We always blame the quarterback but that is not always the case.

You're probably right, Bruce. I have to admit, having grown up as a Falcons fan, I have a vested interest in seeing Favre fail...

Incidentally, I am not a Minnesota fan, I just like good football. I live in Calif; born in Detroit but gave up on the Lions when they failed to get Barry Sanders any help and took a nose dive into oblivion. I prefer the Patriots even though they canned Moss (full story may never be known). They keep winning and putting together good teams. Am Brady (Michigan QB)fan. Though Dion Branch got screwed also (but may never know whole story here also).

...Though D[e]ion Branch got screwed also (but may never know whole story here also).

Funny, the Pats just reacquired Branch on Tuesday, from the Sea-aints for a 4th-round draft pick. Also interesting, considering that Moss only brought back a 3d-rounder.

Yeah, I'm aware the Pats just got Branch back. Strange huh!! Maybe politics involved with both only getting exchanged for 3rd and 4th round picks. That makes them "giveaways." Pats known to do business that way, I don't know about Saints.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it Week 7? Is anyone playing consistently good football yet?

Maybe I'm just getting sour on the whole thing, but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of quality games happening this season. And by 'quality' I mean two highly skilled squads going at it, not simply close games with two teams bumbling around.

Browns ... (Browns? :huh: ) ... pummel the Saints. Winning QB has 74 yards passing and no TDs; losing QB has 356 yards passing and 2 TDs. Hold me back.

Oakland ... (Oakland? :huh: ) ... scores the most points in franchise history. That's a lot of history for such a mediocre team to surpass -- which points to just how bad the Broncos must be. And the Chargers are right there with 'em at 2-5.

Some kind of interception record was set today, either most INTs in a single Sunday, or most pick sixes in a single Sunday. Either way, a lot of bad QBs in the league.

Roethlisberger (one of the guys who is not supposed to be in the 'bad QB' category) forgets Football 101 and can't hang onto the ball while diving into the end zone for the potential game-winning TD? (Not to mention, the Steelers would have covered the spread had he hung onto the ball, not that I'm bitter).

There are 10 teams in the league with 2 or fewer wins. Basically 1/3 of the league is truly crappy. And there's more than a few teams with winning records that have some real issues: Tampa, Chicago, New Orleans, Pittsburgh and Indy all seem to have some glaring deficiencies.

The so-called elite teams at this point seem to be the Jets (with a QB still very much on the up-slope of the learning curve), Patriots (is their defense any good?), maybe the Giants (didn't they suck a few weeks ago?), could add Tennessee (but who knows? Has anyone actually seen 'em?) and maybe the Ravens (but what was the deal with them needing overtime Sunday to beat the 0-6 Bills???? Doesn't sound elite to me.)