NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm perversely rooting for Seattle Sunday. If they win, they're 7-9 and win the division! At the same time, Giants and Tampa Bay could both go 10-6 and miss the playoffs. I love parity(parody)!!!

I seem to remember a few years back, the Chargers winning the AFC West with an 8-8 record. They hosted the Colts who were 12-4...and beat them. So you never know...

The NFC West just has the unfortunate luck to have 4 teams in various stages of rebuilding. Cardinals, Seahawks, 49ers all need new Quaterbacks...as well as several other gaping holes (defense!). 49ers have no coach, Seahawks are in their first year with Carroll, Cardinals could end up firing theirs...etc. Same kind of situation various divisions go through over the years. It's just that commonly they'll be at least 1 really good team in a division (Colts, Patriots, Steelers, etc) so you don't notice it as much.

Honestly, this season has probably been one of the absolute sloppiest and overall yawn-inspiring of any in recent memory. The Patriots appear to still be the model franchise.

Edited by Shawn

Well, I'm definitely eating my words complaining about a 7-9 team making the playoffs. The Seahawks knocking off the defending world champs should be plenty to justify their right to be in the mix.

Bravo to Seattle for a gutsy game.

That last touchdown run by Lynch was amazing. One of the best runs I've seen.

Saints' defense was a no-show.

Shocker for sure! I wonder how far the Seahawks will go.

Well, I'm definitely eating my words complaining about a 7-9 team making the playoffs. The Seahawks knocking off the defending world champs should be plenty to justify their right to be in the mix.

Bravo to Seattle for a gutsy game.

Even if you can rationalize a 7-9 team making the playoffs, there's no way that team should be playing at home. I'm no fan of the Saints or Seattle, but if you play this game at the Superdome, the Seahawks are pretty much making tee times right now. The NFL is going to review their playoff system before next year. Hopefully, they'll come to their senses and let the teams with the best regular season W-L records into the post-season. That's the only fair way to do it.

Edited by Dave James

I think that all of the leagues make a mistake by having small divisions. It makes meaningless the concept of being in first place.

In the NFL, I would have only two tables, one for each conference. I would eliminate the home and home scheduling and interconference games, and maximize the number of teams each team plays each year. Then, I would just take the top teams for the playoffs, with the better teams hosting each game.

When the Redskins played the Rams this year, they said that it was only something like the seventh time the two teams had played since 1950. Considering that they are both in the same conference, I think they should play every year.

Any given Sunday (or Saturday).

The skill level among the majority of NFL players is basically about the same. There are some elite athletes, but by and large, these guys are all cut from the same cloth. It comes down to coaching and game-planning, I believe. Carolina could rise up and beat the Patriots on any given Sunday, with the right game plan. So I'm not shocked that Seattle beat New Orleans.

The only way Seattle finishes with a winning record is if it wins the Super Bowl. I'm fairly confident they'll exit the playoffs as they entered -- with a losing record.

Any given Sunday (or Saturday).

The skill level among the majority of NFL players is basically about the same. There are some elite athletes, but by and large, these guys are all cut from the same cloth. It comes down to coaching and game-planning, I believe. Carolina could rise up and beat the Patriots on any given Sunday, with the right game plan. So I'm not shocked that Seattle beat New Orleans.

The only way Seattle finishes with a winning record is if it wins the Super Bowl. I'm fairly confident they'll exit the playoffs as they entered -- with a losing record.

worrisome, to me, is that the recent seattle victory would help the nfl rationalize expanding the field of playoff teams.

the league has never let anything get in the way of making another 10 million bucks.

I think that all of the leagues make a mistake by having small divisions. It makes meaningless the concept of being in first place.

That's the key, in my opinion. If you want more teams in the playoffs, add second place finishers or something. But four team divisions in a league with over thirty teams is just a joke. Heck, we used to make fun of the NHL playoff setup, but it makes more sense than the NFL or MLB at this point.

Hey, Marshawn Lynch's run was great, but the best ever??? Earl Cambell has a dozen runs better than that.

Agreed on Campbell, and my first comment after Lynch's run was "nice tackling, Saints." They were all going for strips instead of wrapping him up.