NFL chat thread

Both #1 seeds go down...

This is why I don't like playoffs. I've always disliked them most of all with baseball. I think the regular season should determine who the two best teams are, and then the championship game should be between the two best teams. With playoffs, the championship is awarded to the team that is hot at the end, on a winning streak, no matter how many teams were better over the course of the previous four months.

When the Steelers won the Super Bowl a few years ago, weren't they the last-seeded team?

That's kind of funny coming from such a CFL fan.

Yes, I've come to terms with the fact that the two Canadian leagues (the CFL and the NHL) let almost everybody into the playoffs.

What redeems the CFL situation to me is that the Eastern and Western Divisions are older than the league itself. I believe they (the IRFU and the WIFU) used to have playoffs before they began competing against each other.

By the way, speaking of old age, the first year I collected Canadian league bubble gum cards (1959), the Eastern and Western teams didn't play each other until the Grey Cup game. I think that started in 1961.

Don't look now, but the NHL is hardly a Canadien league anymore!

JETman, I find the NHL to be hard to explain logically. The nation referred to in the phrase "National Hockey League" is Canada. Yet in recent decades the league headquarters has been in New York, and I think since about 1930 the majority of teams have been in the US. Normally, I would attribute everything to the lust for the almighty dollar, but so many of the teams have been losing so much money, that can't explain it all!

By the way, here in Raleigh Time Warner has a special for two upcoming Hurricane games at half price. You would think that those two games would be against two teams nobody cares about, right? They're the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers! It might be cheaper for Toronto and New York fans to fly to Raleigh and buy their tickets half price than to buy scalped tickets of their favorite teams at home!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both #1 seeds go down...

This is why I don't like playoffs. I've always disliked them most of all with baseball. I think the regular season should determine who the two best teams are, and then the championship game should be between the two best teams. With playoffs, the championship is awarded to the team that is hot at the end, on a winning streak, no matter how many teams were better over the course of the previous four months.

When the Steelers won the Super Bowl a few years ago, weren't they the last-seeded team?

That's kind of funny coming from such a CFL fan.

Yes, I've come to terms with the fact that the two Canadian leagues (the CFL and the NHL) let almost everybody into the playoffs.

What redeems the CFL situation to me is that the Eastern and Western Divisions are older than the league itself. I believe they (the IRFU and the WIFU) used to have playoffs before they began competing against each other.

By the way, speaking of old age, the first year I collected Canadian league bubble gum cards (1959), the Eastern and Western teams didn't play each other until the Grey Cup game. I think that started in 1961.

Don't look now, but the NHL is hardly a Canadien league anymore!

JETman, I find the NHL to be hard to explain logically. The nation referred to in the phrase "National Hockey League" is Canada. Yet in recent decades the league headquarters has been in New York, and I think since about 1930 the majority of teams have been in the US. Normally, I would attribute everything to the lust for the almighty dollar, but so many of the teams have been losing so much money, that can't explain it all!

By the way, here in Raleigh Time Warner has a special for two upcoming Hurricane games at half price. You would think that those two games would be against two teams nobody cares about, right? They're the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers! It might be cheaper for Toronto and New York fans to fly to Raleigh and buy their tickets half price than to buy scalped tickets of their favorite teams at home!

I meant that most of the best players are no longer Canadien.

Mmm. Not so sure about that (11 of top 20 GS are Canadian. Next closest country is Sweden, with 5):

Leading goal scorers:

1. Crosby (canada)

2. Stamkos (canada)

3. D. Sedin (sweden)

4. St. Louis (canada)

5. H. Sedin (sweden)

6. Richards (canada)

7. Zetterberg (sweden)

8. Perry (canada)

9. Eriksson (sweden)

10. Kopitar (slovenia)

11. Staal (canada)

12. Ovechkin (russia)

13. Sharp (canada)

14. Heatley (canada)

15. Duchene (canada)

16. Thornton (canada)

17. Kesler (united states)

18. Iginla (canada)

19. Lidstrom (sweden)

20. Byfuglien (united states)

NHL players by nationality 2009-2010 (top seven countries):

# Canada - 433

# USA - 168

# Czech Republic - 42

# Sweden - 42

# Finland - 29

# Russia - 25

# Slovakia - 14

And, as we know, they hold the Olympic gold.

I go with Canada on this one.

Mmm. Not so sure about that (11 of top 20 GS are Canadian. Next closest country is Sweden, with 5):

Leading goal scorers:

1. Crosby (canada)

2. Stamkos (canada)

3. D. Sedin (sweden)

4. St. Louis (canada)

5. H. Sedin (sweden)

6. Richards (canada)

7. Zetterberg (sweden)

8. Perry (canada)

9. Eriksson (sweden)

10. Kopitar (slovenia)

11. Staal (canada)

12. Ovechkin (russia)

13. Sharp (canada)

14. Heatley (canada)

15. Duchene (canada)

16. Thornton (canada)

17. Kesler (united states)

18. Iginla (canada)

19. Lidstrom (sweden)

20. Byfuglien (united states)

NHL players by nationality 2009-2010 (top seven countries):

# Canada - 433

# USA - 168

# Czech Republic - 42

# Sweden - 42

# Finland - 29

# Russia - 25

# Slovakia - 14

And, as we know, they hold the Olympic gold.

I go with Canada on this one.

A leading goal scorer does not necessarily a best player make. The players with the highest skill level are NOT Canadian in my view.

Looking at the glass as half-full, the foot fetishist a-hole coach isn't going to the Super Bowl, so things could be much, much worse.

But I'm still f-ing pissed that I let the Bears give me hope that they could pull that game out. That was it - if the Bears ever have a shot at the Super Bowl again, its nearly a certainty that my father won't have a clue about it.

And that sucks.