NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting fact in this AP story just off the wire (highlighted in bold):

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A comeback, a drive, a legacy. And yes -- finally -- Peyton Manning gets his Super Bowl trip, too.

Football's most prolific quarterback put on a show for the ages Sunday, rallying the Indianapolis Colts from 18 points down and driving them 80 yards for the winning score in a wildly entertaining 38-34 victory over the New England Patriots.

In his nine years in the league, Manning has never played in a game like this AFC championship contest. He threw for 349 yards and one touchdown and brought his team back from a 21-3 deficit.

Joseph Addai capped Manning's late drive with the winning score, a 3-yard run with 1 minute left to help the Colts (15-4) complete the rally and send coach Tony Dungy to his first Super Bowl -- and a very special one.

Dungy and the Colts will face the Chicago Bears and his good friend Lovie Smith in Miami in two weeks. Together they are the first black coaches to make the Super Bowl in its 41 years.

After Indy's last touchdown, Manning was on the sideline, his head down -- he couldn't bear to watch. New England's Tom Brady -- he of the three Super Bowl rings -- threw an interception to Marlin Jackson and the RCA Dome crowd went wild. One kneel down later and Manning ripped off his helmet to celebrate.

Is it just me, or does Belicheck seem to not handle defeat as graciously as would befit an unquestionably great & successful coach of championship teams?

I didn't stick around to see it, but both he and the team know they gave that game away. They had the Colts beaten but blew it.

Good luck to the two teams in the Super Bowl. I'll likely sit it out, and wait till next year. In the end, we've got a couple of first round picks in the upcoming draft; and we'll likely become more of a player in free agency in 2007. The Dynasty continues....

Is it just me, or does Belicheck seem to not handle defeat as graciously as would befit an unquestionably great & successful coach of championship teams?

Another thing to mention is that I've never known really driven people to accept defeat gracefully. They just don't.

I don't think Ali was very good at admitting defeat; neither were Gary Kasaparov nor Bobby Fischer in chess. They hated to LOSE. Maybe Belichick is the same. I don't think he's got any kind of a life outside of football.

Nice to see Plunkett give the trophy away. :)

I'm guessing it was Plunkett or Grogan who cut your meal short. If it's any consolation the poor guy once was asked in a press conference "Lemme get this straight, Jim. Is it blind mother, deaf father or the other way around?" In a way he was owned a seat at a fine restaurant for that, though not that you should have been the ones to pay. Sheeeesh, I hope at least you got a doggie bag and a discount.

I noticed he didn't have to hold the trophy long either. I hear he can't lift one arm above shoulder height and walks like a 100 year old tortoise from all of the hits he took.

Man, I haven't had the 2 teams I was rooting for win in the longest time! An old school all midwest matchup! YES!

This is going to be an exciting Super Bowl. I don't think the fact that the BEARS are going to the big game has really sunk in yet. This is a dream come true.

Best of luck to all you Colts fans out there (Mark, Rachel, and everyone else)! You guys have a great team and deserve your trip to Miami.

Two weeks left.....let the s**t talking begin!

Another thing to mention is that I've never known really driven people to accept defeat gracefully. They just don't.

I don't think Ali was very good at admitting defeat; neither were Gary Kasaparov nor Bobby Fischer in chess. They hated to LOSE. Maybe Belichick is the same. I don't think he's got any kind of a life outside of football.

I was thinking the same thing, Paul. Did Lombardi lose graciously? Billy Martin?

I was almost certain after the pick that made it 21-3 that we were going to see the Manning Face any minute that this was going to be a stunning blow out. But then the Colts stopped the running game and for once in his life Manning didn't choke.

Is it really true that he has never won a championship in his entire football life, from Pop Warner through college and the pros? If that is so, I still don't consider this an end to that streak of futility. Ya gotta win the true BIG ONE first. Like I said earlier, at least with this result, there is a clear enemy to root against, no split allegiances. GO BEARS!!!!!

And one other thing, are the odds now double that some idiot will ask one of the coaches how long he's been a black coach? :P

This is going to be an exciting Super Bowl. I don't think the fact that the BEARS are going to the big game has really sunk in yet. This is a dream come true.

Best of luck to all you Colts fans out there (Mark, Rachel, and everyone else)! You guys have a great team and deserve your trip to Miami.

Sal and I just bet the March RVGs on this.....I hope I don't have to buy them twice.....but I don't think I will!

m~

Sal and I just bet the March RVGs on this.....I hope I don't have to buy them twice.....but I don't think I will!

m~

Don't worry, Mark, CD Universe will make it very cheap for you. Plus, just think of how much you'll be supporting Organissimo when you order them twice using the search engines above!

m~

Don't worry, Mark, CD Universe will make it very cheap for you. Plus, just think of how much you'll be supporting Organissimo when you order them twice using the search engines above!

...now that you put it that way, Sal.....maybe I'll just buy all future RVGs for you :rolleyes: !

m~

I was thinking the same thing, Paul. Did Lombardi lose graciously? Billy Martin?

Ali could prove gracious in defeat, if only momentarily. Billy Martin was a freak, and the Lombardi legend is highly over-romanticized imo. Bobby Fischer's mental quirks have been well documented, and Kasparov, well...I don't know.

I can think of any number of "really driven" people who can put on at least a facade of graciousness for at least a moment in the face of defeat. The two aren't incompatable, nor should they be by any reasonable definition of mainstream civility.

If Belicheck once gave credit to the Colts for not giving up & coming back, I didn't hear it (which is a possibility, I admit. I just heard immediate post-game growlings, er... comments). I did see him walk past Manning on his way off the field and barely acknowledge his presence. Just a humph and barely a glance in his direction. Not at all classy, imo, and yet another reason why so many people hate what is unquestionably one of the great teams of the era. Although I must admit - it must take a helluva lot of discipline to be at once so bland and so arrogant. A stiff upper flip of the bird to them!

At least Brady didn't cry this time. At least not on camera. :g:g:g

I was almost certain after the pick that made it 21-3 that we were going to see the Manning Face any minute that this was going to be a stunning blow out. But then the Colts stopped the running game and for once in his life Manning didn't choke.

Is it really true that he has never won a championship in his entire football life, from Pop Warner through college and the pros? If that is so, I still don't consider this an end to that streak of futility. Ya gotta win the true BIG ONE first.

Well, that's this year's Official Super Bowl Story Line , right(?) - has Manning finally gotten the monkey off his back or has he just momentarily brushed it off?

We'll see.

One may say that his behavior immediately following the end is more telling, but here is Belichick quoted in Shaugnessey's Globe column:

"They're a hard team to stop," said an ashen Belichick. "Both teams scored a lot of points today, but I don't want to take anything away from them. They did a good job."

Dan's Keys to the Game :

1) Bear defense vs Peyton and friends.

'nuf said.

2) Bear running game against rejuvenated Colt defensive front.

This is the whole enchilada, imo, as the Bears can't afford to be in a situation where Rex has to perform. The Colt adjustment in the second half hasn't gotten nearly enough attention, and their front has performed so much better than they did in the middle of the season, its like a different team. Quite simply, the Bears have to win in the trenches and successfully move the ball on the ground. I think their defense is better than any Manning has faced and they can do that job, most of the time. The question is whether the offense will do its share.

Edited by Dan Gould