NFL chat thread

Is it my imagination or is this the sloppiest, most mediocre season of pro football...ever?

There seem to be barely a handful of good teams and everybody else is either spotty at best or downright awful.

I've never seen as many bad quarterback starting at one time....

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another disappointing Bears loss. Not that they deserved to win this one (first game all season they didn't deserve to win), but I just don't understand the play calling. The decision to kick that last punt short blew the whole game for them. Not to mention the shitty playing by the secondary. I could cry.

Sloppy AZ/Dal game today. Romo had fumble-itis today, and didn't seem sharp, despite throwing for over 300 yards. No real long passes though, mostly dump offs and things. At least he didn't have an INT today I guess.

Cowboys got lucky to tie it at the end of regulation. Got the ball down to about the 40 with 3 seconds left, to attempt a 57 yard game-tying FG. But one of the Cards didn't get to the line of scrimmage in time and the Cards were assessed a 5 yard penalty, helping the Cowboys out. Then the Cards coach called a timeout on the FG attempt, which got blocked and would have given the Cards the game. Nick Folk made the second FG to tie and send the game into OT.

Then the Cowboys go 3 and out, and the punt gets blocked and walked into the endzone for the game winning score. Aargh.

Don't shoot me, but I'm actually kind of happy for the Cardinals...they've been down for so long they deserve some kind of break. There's no reason they shouldn't win the NFC West this year...cause Seattle can't even tie their shoes.

The Cowboys getting "knocked down a notch" actually might help them in the long run, sometimes a reality check is good to deflate the egos and make you realize that you're not invincible.

Romo out 3 / 4 weeks with a broken finger on this throwing hand

That's going to make things interesting in Dallas. As if underperforming weren't enough, now they've got to hand the offense over to Brad Johnson for the next month. I hope his jello arm can get the ball to T.O., or things could get ugly real quick.

anyone see the lions QB run out of the end zone for a safety??

:lol:

any redskins fans in the house?

Stefan Wood is a Redskins fan.

Yeah, that was pathetic. They need to learn how to play like a team who is expected to win. Portis still runs for 100+ yards, Cooley is great, but the keys were the freak fumble at the half, and the 40+ long pass in the 4th quarter, Torrence should not have been one on one with the receiver.

I don't think the Patriots will make the playoffs unless they get another quarterback. Cassell is simply awful.

Well, for the first time in recent memory they'll actually have to put up a little bit of a fight in their division, they're one game behind the Bills and tied with the Jets (did I just write that?), but they're not out of it yet. I agree with T.D., the defense is the larger concern than Cassell.

Romo out 3 / 4 weeks with a broken finger on this throwing hand

That's going to make things interesting in Dallas. As if underperforming weren't enough, now they've got to hand the offense over to Brad Johnson for the next month. I hope his jello arm can get the ball to T.O., or things could get ugly real quick.

In addition to Romo being out for a month, Felix Jones is out for a bit, Sam Hurd is out for the year, and punter Matt McBriar is out for the year with a broken foot (from that kick attempt in overtime).

In addition to Roy Williams being out, and Terence Newman being out.

Man, that's alot of starters and contributors there.

Or non-factors, the way they've been playing recently. ;)

Seriously, though, this all falls at the feet of Wade Wilson aka Coach Candyland. Injuries are a part of the game, and while I'm not underestimating any broken bones, at the same time there's a thing called "playing through the pain." The greats did that: Troy, Emmitt, Michael Ervin, etc. Yeah they had their share of injuries, but they also had a coach who not only pushed them, but also gave them a reason to put it all on the field and play through the pain. Coach Candyland doesn't do that. Hell, who can blame Romo for wanting out of this mess for a little while? Would you want to keep going out there knowing your offensive line is one of the worst (if not THE worst) in the game; knowing that you still have Flozell Adams on the line, who not only can't block to save his life but commits more penalties (usually false starts) than is even remotely acceptable; knowing that you're chances of getting killed on every play increase as the day wears on and those bums on the line aren't doing their job? And why aren't they doing their job? BECAUSE NO ONE'S GIVING THEM THE ASS-CHEWING THEY DESERVE!!! That's Coach Candyland's job, Mr. Never Won In The Postseason, but I guess he's no more than another Jones puppet. And we all know Jerry doesn't allow negativity when it comes to his team. Jimmy Johnson knew that. Parcells figured it out as well.

It's fitting that the Cowboys will be moving to a new stadium just down the street from that other bastion of mediocrity here in DFW, the standard-bearers for okay-but-never-good-enough, the Texas Rangers, run by that great thinker and positive influence Tom Hicks. Jerry and Tom's offices would be so close, they could compare notes on how to continue to put on a happy face and convince others in the organization to do the same thing. Fuck the fans, what do they know, right? Hey, if we can get Cuban to move the Mavs here (and our mayor is such an idiot he'd fall for it (and finance it with my tax dollars) in a heartbeat), we'd have the Trifecta of Mediocrity. The Triple Threat of Almost!

Edited by Big Al

I don't think the Patriots will make the playoffs unless they get another quarterback. Cassell is simply awful.

Yeah, but you'd think that the Patriots would still be a great team despite the loss of Brady. I know that loss is huge, but a team that won every game EXCEPT the Super Bowl (and I'm also not discounting the notion that that one loss devastated this team beyond repair) still ought to be a good enough team to be able to keep it together. Sunday's game looked like it was being played by a team that looked like lost sheep without their shepherd. I always figured the Pats to be better than that.