jeremy steig-"firefly"

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

anyone like this album as a crappy guilty pleasure album?

i know steig himself disparages it.

and obviously i wish his earlier albums with alias and gomez and hammer were on CD.

and as "firefly" is on CTI, i wish many better CTI albums were on CD (like the rest of the joe farrell material)

but they aren't, so i am listening to "firefly".

first off-i enjoy googie coppola's voice. she has a nice voice and it works well on the album. her song writing is ok too in a late 70s kind of way.

second of all, gary king is a dope electric bass player. i think his presence rather than someone like will lee, makes the album move.

i don't know. i'm not defending the album. it sucks. my mom enjoyed it when i played it in the car and said it was "chill" which is never a good sign.

Guest akanalog

thom jurek has a boner over this album on AMG, which is what piqued my interest originally since it seemed an odd one to excite him. it isn't as good as he thinks, of course...but......

I have a CD with some of the Douglas recordings with Hamer and Gomez (who's just on a few cuts of the whole date, I think). It's called "Elephant Hump", can't find a picture of the cover, alas.

No wonder, when you are searching for a Douglas recording ..... these were produced by Sonny Lester and first issued on Groove Merchant, and reissued on a Capitol double LP, two cheapo Italian LPs, and then in part on that LRC CD you have - well, at the time Denon manufactured the LRC CDs, so ......

B000001J01.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Steig albums before that were all Sonny Lester produced, and released on Solid State, except for the last one, which was on Blue Note after Liberty had bought that label.

They had hip covers, mostly designed by Steig himself:

jeremy_steig.jpg

He even painted his wife Judy's legs!

That must have been the Jeremy & The Satyrs LP - never saw or heard this one.

I had Jeremy and the Satyrs...seems like about 40 years ago.

Who was in that band, BTW?

That album is gone - rendered unplayable about 30 years ago. I just checked jeremysteiginfo.com and found this:

1968 Jeremy & The Satyrs Reprise

Warren Bernhardt, Adrian Guillery, Donald MacDonald, Eddie Gomez

That must have been the Jeremy & The Satyrs LP - never saw or heard this one.

I had Jeremy and the Satyrs...seems like about 40 years ago.

Who was in that band, BTW?

That album is gone - rendered unplayable about 30 years ago. ...

ahem, satyrated? probably from oozing flutes? :g:crazy::lol:

:D Exactly.

Steig's first album - "Flute Fever," on Columbia - was announced as an upcoming release on Collectables a couple years ago, and never actually appeared. It's a fine album - Denny Zeitlan (sic?) on piano - made up of jazz standads like "Blue Seven." That would be worth looking for.