Charles Earland Black Talk RVG

monkboughtlunch

Yeah, it's one of the top 10 classic jazz organ lps....

I think even that underrates it. I've always considered it the greatest jazz organ LP ever. Earland was my favorite, and this is his masterpiece, especially the second side with 'Aquarius' and 'More Today Than Yesterday'. If it can't make you smile, nothing can.

Yeah, it's one of the top 10 classic jazz organ lps....

... , especially the second side with 'Aquarius' and 'More Today Than Yesterday'.

He had an uncanny way of making tunes that were otherwise hokey/commersh sound really good. These 2 in particular are definitely worth the "price of admission".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone else has the RVG reissue of this with totally feghed up booklet? There's half a page of repeated text in the new liners and the ending is cut off, so I don't even know who wrote them, in addition to not being able to finish reading them (not that they are particularly enlightening, but hey, I paid for a CD, not for some lousy MP3 with no cover to be expected).

Anyone has an idea what to do to get a good booklet?

Anyone else has the RVG reissue of this with totally feghed up booklet? There's half a page of repeated text in the new liners and the ending is cut off, so I don't even know who wrote them, in addition to not being able to finish reading them (not that they are particularly enlightening, but hey, I paid for a CD, not for some lousy MP3 with no cover to be expected).

I thought this was on Prestige, not on Blue Note! :P

I thought this was on Prestige, not on Blue Note! :P

The latest reissue is a Prestige RVG from Concord.

Complain. Write to Concord, or the European distributor, if you bought a European issue (don't know if there is a European one). Lay it on thick about how extremely disapointed you are and how badly it reflects on the company and devalues what should be a perfect representation of this classic music. Use several pages, if possible.

MG

Complain. Write to Concord, or the European distributor, if you bought a European issue (don't know if there is a European one). Lay it on thick about how extremely disapointed you are and how badly it reflects on the company and devalues what should be a perfect representation of this classic music. Use several pages, if possible.

MG

I will write, but I doubt I can make it such a long letter...

Because of being pissed about this lacking booklet I completely forgot to say how much I begin to enjoy the music! At first it was not convincing me entirely, and I am still no big fan of Houston Person, but Melvin Sparks and Virgil Jones are terrific, and so is the mighty burner himself!

Not only is the Booklet on "Black Talk" messed up, it's also messed up in the exact same manner on "Tenor Madness", some stuff printed twice and the last bit missing.

I DID write to Concord pointing this out and looking for replacement booklets as I purchased both, I even included the receipt, and have heard nothing back after over a month. :tdown:tdown:tdown

My copy is the double CD issued by Ace a long time ago - "Black talk/Black drops". I can send you a scan of the "Black talk" half if you like. That's a bit small, though, I think. I can also do you a scan of the LP notes (the same), which should be easier to read, and you can make it as small as you like.

If either of these is any good, PM me and I'll get one to you.

MG

Yup, they also stole the BN layout - mainly visible on the traycards, but in the fonts, too, and also the old liners are black print on white (again with the BN RVG layout), while the new ones are white print on black... no Wolff photos, alas, and no photos at all, even though I assume on many a session someone - Esmond Edwards, Don Schlitten, or some pros - would have photographed the proceedings. Anyway, these Concord/Fantasy RVGs are a quality product, even worse they can't check the booklets before going to print!