Favorite recordings of Hoagy songs?

ghost of miles

Hey all, I'm working on a Nov. 24 Afterglow of all Hoagy Carmichael songs... a little annual Hoosier tradition I'm starting this year (it will always fall on the Friday closest to HC's Nov. 22 b-day). Some of the recordings I've picked so far:

Anita O'Day, "Ivy"

Buselli-Sifferlin (IN duo), "The Nearness of You"

Bix, "Riverboat Shuffle"

Jack Jenny, "Stardust"

...and I'm featuring a kind-of-rare 1958 Kapp LP that Hoagy recorded (reissued in 1962 by, believe it or not, Eli Lilly :huh: ). Will be tapping HOAGY SINGS CARMICHAEL (the '56 Pacific Jazz album) as well. Would like to run down some more modern recordings... any suggestions?

I like the version of Stardust that Mulligan and Desmond play on Two of a Mind. They don't ever really play the melody, but they allude to it and play some great interweaving lines.

f85061cpy8s.jpg

I'm sure you'll have many options for great versions of Stardust.

Who was it that did a version of it that used only the verse?

Brookmeyer's arrangement of Skylark is a classic.

And who can do Georgia better than brother Ray?

Louis Armstrong's "Lazy River"

Aretha Franklin's "Skylark"

Sylvia Syms' "Skylark"

Sheila Jordan's "Baltimore Oriole"

Sarah Vaughan's "The Nearness of You"

Jo Stafford's "Ivy"

Benny Goodman's "Ballad in Blue"

Claude Hopkins' "Lazybones" (vocal by Fred Norman)

I love that Sheila Jordan version of "Oriole." Not long ago I played another version I really like--the one Helen Merrill does on her Milestone album with Dick Katz. Thanks much for the suggestions.

Bette Midler did an absolutely compelling version of "Skylark" on her second album "Bette Midler", accompanied only by Barry Manilow on piano. I normally think the best version of a Hoagy song is the one by Hoagy, but in this case, no. This is one of the few of my wife's records I'm really glad she bought. I just played it and it still sends shivers up and down my spine.

MG

David:

Many years ago (must have been six or seven, during his centenary), I devoted the better part of a year on my show to Hoagy's compositions (except for Stardust, which I still mean to do at some point). I'll see if I can find the old playlists to jog my memory. What other songs are you thinking of covering?

I remember that Keith Ingham did an album (Star Dust Memory) that had some performances that you might want to consider for use.

- Jon

Hey all, I'm working on a Nov. 24 Afterglow of all Hoagy Carmichael songs... a little annual Hoosier tradition I'm starting this year (it will always fall on the Friday closest to HC's Nov. 22 b-day). Some of the recordings I've picked so far:

Anita O'Day, "Ivy"

Buselli-Sifferlin (IN duo), "The Nearness of You"

Bix, "Riverboat Shuffle"

Jack Jenny, "Stardust"

...and I'm featuring a kind-of-rare 1958 Kapp LP that Hoagy recorded (reissued in 1962 by, believe it or not, Eli Lilly :huh: ). Will be tapping HOAGY SINGS CARMICHAEL (the '56 Pacific Jazz album) as well. Would like to run down some more modern recordings... any suggestions?

Check out Dave McKenna's album "A Celebration of Hoagy Carmichael" recorded right in Bloomington.

I have a fondness for Hoagy's own version of "Moon Country" with some beautiful Jimmy Dorsey (available on the Timeless CD).

Louis Armstrong's "Lazy River"

Aretha Franklin's "Skylark"

Sylvia Syms' "Skylark"

Sheila Jordan's "Baltimore Oriole"

Sarah Vaughan's "The Nearness of You"

Jo Stafford's "Ivy"

Benny Goodman's "Ballad in Blue"

Claude Hopkins' "Lazybones" (vocal by Fred Norman)

I love that Sheila Jordan version of "Oriole." Not long ago I played another version I really like--the one Helen Merrill does on her Milestone album with Dick Katz. Thanks much for the suggestions.

I second Michael Weiss' recommendation of Freddie Hubbard playing "Skylark" with Blakey on Riverside (Good Lord, what a soaring phrase Freddie plays to open the bridge during his solo!)

I would also add a remarkable version of "Star Dust" by a band led by Louis Hayes on an LP called "Variety is the Spice" (Gryphon), issued in 1979. It's a feature for the criminally underrated alto saxophonist Frank Strozier, who blows up a storm. This is the most exploratory jazz version of the tune I can recall, extensively reharmonized including some Coltrane substitutions.

Speaking of "Star Dust," I wrote a piece for the Detroit Free Press in 2002 marking the 75th anniversary of the tune -- the most recorded pop tune in history with at least 1,800 versions and some estimates reaching 2,300. I included a list of 10 faves (the Hayes/Strozier was among them), and I noted that surely no other song could boast such a diverse array of interpreters, from Louis Armstrong to Sinatra, Billy Ward and his Dominoes, Artie Shaw, Arthur Fiedler, the London Sympony, Liberace, Willie Nelson, John Coltrane and -- wait for it -- Fred Flintstone. Some of you may recall the episode in which Fred and Barney decide to strike it rich by becoming hit songwriters, penning horrible lyrics to a tune that happens to be "Star Dust." The off-key version Fred sings is an interesting reminder of just how unusual the melody is with its wide intervals and non-repeating phrases (Alec Wilder called it a very-far out song for any era). Anway, redemption comes when they team with an animated version of Carmichael himself (voiced by Hoagy) to sing Hoagy's 32-bar ditty titled "Yabba Dabba Dabba Dabba Do."

Mark Stryker

sinatra did an incredible version of 'dust, with, i think, pete king's orchestra in the early 60's, with a huge string beginning, singing only the lyrics from, you wander down the lane...... . consummate stuff.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions here. I taped the program Thursday evening and was able to incorporate several of them. This will be an annual feature, so I'll return to the thread next year when I'm compiling the 2007 show.

On a somewhat related note, I wish IU would do something with the old Book Nook/Gables where HC allegedly wrote "Stardust" (Mark probably knows this already, but it's currently a "Buffalouie's"). They own it and could turn it into quite a nice Hoagy museum/visitor's center, but I guess it's just easier to rent the joint out to restaurants and collect the $$ each month.

Also I like Oriole from Booker Ervin's Booker'n Brass a lot.

Were you the one who included this on a BFT, king ubu? Man, I love that version!

Wasn't me, but I did recognize that one, I hope!

Sinatra - "I Get Along Without You Very Well". The version on 'In The Wee Small Hours' is the definitive vocal interpretation for me.

Oh yes! Chet did a good take on it, too, early on (I think it's on the best of Chet sings CD).

Tony Lakatos did a whole CD in tribute to Hoagy - some may think he overdoes it now and then, but I like the disc. Jimmy Scott sings on a few tracks, too, including "Skylark", which is one of my favourite ballads.