Mal Waldron/One Entrance, Many Exits

John L

g00484ffor2.jpg

Palo Alto Jazz Masters (Quicksilver QSCD-4019)

1) Golden Golson

2) One Entrance, Many Exits

3) Chazz Jazz

4) Herbal Syndrome

5) How Deep is the Ocean

6) Blues in 4 by 3

Mal Waldron-p

Joe Henderson-ts

David Friesen-b

Billy Higgins-d

live from Menlo Park, Ca., January 4, 1982

:tup:tup:tup

Mal, Joe, and Billy. It pains one to think that all three were still with us only a few years ago. Their passing was like the final end of the 20th century for jazz.

Here they are together, playing with a very tuned in and sympathetic David Friesen. I couldn't understand why this LP took so long to reissue as a CD. The wait is over. It is also available at a budget price. Pick it up!

The highlights are numerous. Mal is somewhere between his percussive, driving 70s work and more melodic late 80s-90s stuff. For me, Mal Waldron will always be one of the truly individual voices on the piano. Billy Higgins, as always, keeps it together and gives the maximal amount of support to everyone else (did he ever have a bad night?). David Friesen had been playing a lot with both Waldron and Henderson at the time, and knew where he was at all times.

And Joe... what can I say. If you have never heard his solo on Herbal Syndrome, you haven't HEARD Joe!!!

The price is right and the music is fantastic.

Also, the cd cover is a bit different from the original LP cover.

Is there a photo of Mal Waldron without a cigarette? :huh:

[was he a chain-smoker or it was an artistic "persona", you think?]

A very substantial album. I'm happy for all that can hear it now.:)

Mal was such a chain smoker that he reportedly stopped coming to play in the US because most clubs over here wouldn't allow him to smoke while he played. Apparently Mal needed to smoke while he played.

Later,

Kevin

Another great recording that features Waldron and Henderson playing together is Soul Eyes. Henderson only plays on a couple of tracks, but they are magical. The entire recording is special - featuring a rhythm section of Reggie Workman and Andrew Cyrille and on alternating tracks Henderson, Steve Coleman, Jeanne Lee and Abby Lincoln. Unfortunately, this 1997 BMG title was never released in the U.S. and now will be incredibly difficult to locate. If you see it, grab it!

Edited by relyles

I've been looking for that European SOUL EYES for years with no success (but my search hasn't been very rigorous.)

I think also noteworthy is that this is a Palo Alto release on CD. Not many have made it, unless I've been missing something recently.

After reading about this CD on this board, I went to Boarders with my 20% off coupon. I was suprised to this CD there. So anyhow, I think this is the best session I've bought in a while. The first cut was named after Benny Golson and everyone took their solo turn and it was good. The title cut is a duet of piano and bass and is a long, but interesting tone poem, space out type of cut. The Joe Henderson feature Herbel Syndrome is amazing. He solos for the entire cut of over six minutes and matches his stuff on Basra. He pulls out all his tricks, including the honking/distortion thing he does. Like the other earlier post says it is a Joe Henderson that you all need to hear.