steve lacy...

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

i just purchased this set. i have wanted to get into more steve lacy, but i just never like what i hear.

except for "dutch masters"-that album is great.

but lacy and potts together gives me a headache. all that screechy piercing high notes swooping and pooping on my brain.

but anyway i bought this 3 disc box because i keep hearing how great it is, especially "dreams".

well i have never heard irena aeiebi's vocals before. my opinion on the aeiebi experience?

NO THANK YOU! BYPASS! BYPASS!

I have Dreams on vinyl. Good set featuring Derek Bailey as well as Potts and Lacy. I passed on Scratching the Seventies--some of the earlier stuff just didn't grab me--but it's a good set for those who like Lacy of this vintage.

I love the Lacy-Potts front line.

Aebi will be off-putting to some. Her vocals come from a different tradition. I happen to like her singing.

Hey Swinger, sounds like you could probably get it for a good price from akanalog!

I really like this set, but I actually think it should be very low on the list of Lacy recordings to try out if you're just getting into (or wanting to get into) Lacy.

As far as Aëbi goes — try Vespers. If that doesn't prick up your ears regarding her singing, probably nothing will. But that's OK. Lacy's music, at least as I hear it, can't really exist without Aëbi (even if she's not singing), but I can see how some listeners just can't get with her. Nothing wrong with that.

Gil Evans And 10 has some excellent Lacy on it. That might be a good way to ease into the guy's playing. Besides, that SACD hybrid is a productions-value miracle.

Guest akanalog

well i mean i think i was expecting aieabi to be more about wordless vocals. i think it was the literalness of her singing that i disliked so much. isn't vespers even more focused on her voice and she maybe recites poetry? no way am i checking that one out then!!! i also try to avoid music recorded since about '85 as a weird personal rule.

and gil evans...too many people. i'm not so into larger group things.

but thank you for the recomendations.

i mean i do like some of the stuff on the saravah box, just not enough to justify keeping it.

maybe lacy isn't for me.

like i said, i really like "dutch masters" but that isn't really his set.

i might check out "trickles" and the new one on atavistic, though.

i also had an early 80s hatart (hathut?) one people said was one of his best, but he and potts annoyed me and the whole thing was too clean and tight for what i expected.

bruce at DMG said a remastered school days with bonus material is coming out soon and perhaps i will give it a listen.

I really like this set, but I actually think it should be very low on the list of Lacy recordings to try out if you're just getting into (or wanting to get into) Lacy.

As far as Aëbi goes — try Vespers. If that doesn't prick up your ears regarding her singing, probably nothing will. But that's OK. Lacy's music, at least as I hear it, can't really exist without Aëbi (even if she's not singing), but I can see how some listeners just can't get with her. Nothing wrong with that.

Gil Evans And 10 has some excellent Lacy on it. That might be a good way to ease into the guy's playing. Besides, that SACD hybrid is a productions-value miracle.

Vespers does indeed show Aebi well. I like how she always fits into Lacy's various groups and never dominates proceedings.

If I were to try and win someone over on Lacy, Morning Joy would be my pick.

Yep, School Days, I think, is an excellent introduction to Lacy.

The one that really hooked my heart was N.Y. Capers & Quirks. Lacy's not only in top form, but Ronnie Boykins and Denis Charles give it their all on the set. While considerably "out," it's truly sublime music. Unfortunately, I've never heard the LPs that this disc made selections from. Several tracks were, I guess, deemed unfit for CD reissue.

Still waiting for Werner to reissue Ballets ... and maybe a double-disc set of Futurities as well.

Edited by Late

N.Y Capers & Quirks is another great set. That one doesn't really get its due. The original double album was Capers (later New York Capers), also had "The Crunch," "We Don't" I & II and another take of "Bud's Brother." Tape issues apparently prevented these tracks from being reissued.

Yep, School Days, I think, is an excellent introduction to Lacy.

The one that really hooked my heart was N.Y. Capers & Quirks. Lacy's not only in top form, but Ronnie Boykins and Denis Charles give it their all on the set. While considerably "out," it's truly sublime music. Unfortunately, I've never heard the LPs that this disc made selections from. Several tracks were, I guess, deemed unfit for CD reissue.

Still waiting for Werner to reissue Ballets ... and maybe a double-disc set of Futurities as well.

i will keep fighting.

i would like to hear the one with sam woodyard even though it is past my prefered time period musically, for instance.

It is a good one, but still unmistakenly "Lacy"

Don't miss this one. Great entry into latter day Lacy for the more mainstream-minded.

I don't really have a "dog in this fight", but I will say that when Lacy does Monk I've always liked him.

I also like School Days with Rudd.

Probably some others too, but that's what comes immediately to mind.

School Days is a great one. For Lacy on Monk, don't miss Steve Lacy Plays Thelonious Monk/Reflections(New Jazz/OJC), rec. Oct. 17, 1958. Apparently the first ever album of all Monk tunes, and still one of the very finest. Lacy's accompanied by Mal Waldron, Buell Neidlinger, and Elvin Jones.

akanalog — just so you know, N.Y. Capers & Quirks has a lot of high-pitched (even for soprano) playing on it. At times, come to think of it, some portions remind me of Hendrix playing way up on the bridge. There are, however, singable melodies with each tune. I love it, but it might not be your cup of tea.

Just follow Lacy chronologically. Go as far as possible. Great journey.

Amen. He's a favorite of mine.

I have most of the Saravah recordings, save Roba (which I really want), and enjoy them. Dreams is not my preferred jam of the bunch, though. That would be Scraps. Or would it be Lapis? Dang, I just can't decide...

The only Lacy record I've heard that I've really not enjoyed was the duo with Michael Smith on IAI. Snoozer.