groove holmes

It's ridiculous how these days every event is videotaped by a kid with a cellphone. Yet, there are (to my knowledge) no known film or video of some of these giants like Groove in action. What a shame. I can't even imagine what a performance that would have been.

P.S. I played a PASIC drum clinic with Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon from SRVs band last week and a man from Florida came up to me afterwards real excited and said he used to play with Groove Holmes and dug hearing the organ. I tried to get him to sit in on my trio gig later that night, but he said he hasn't played professionally since the 80's and didn't think he could hang. Too bad, nice guy and I would have loved to play with anybody with those credentials.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ridiculous how these days every event is videotaped by a kid with a cellphone. Yet, there are (to my knowledge) no known film or video of some of these giants like Groove in action. What a shame. I can't even imagine what a performance that would have been.

P.S. I played a PASIC drum clinic with Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon from SRVs band last week and a man from Florida came up to me afterwards real excited and said he used to play with Groove Holmes and dug hearing the organ. I tried to get him to sit in on my trio gig later that night, but he said he hasn't played professionally since the 80's and didn't think he could hang. Too bad, nice guy and I would have loved to play with anybody with those credentials.

I would love to see footage of Groove. AND too cool that you played with an iconic blues rhythm section.

Those guys have something special, imho. Looks like you are rubbing shoulders with some heavy cats these days.... watch out! ;)

g

I would love to see footage of Groove. AND too cool that you played with an iconic blues rhythm section.

Those guys have something special, imho. Looks like you are rubbing shoulders with some heavy cats these days.... watch out! ;)

g

Thanks Greg...yeah, it's been a real pleasure playing with those guys!

One more thing about Groove. I really dig "Comin' Home" as well. His organ sounds so killer on that thing. And his playing cuts right to the bone.

Very groovy indeed! A compilation of his 3 LPs and first CD on Muse

1. Broadway (from Broadway)

2. Hackensack (from Good vibrations)

3. Stella By Starlight (from Shippin' out)

4. Good Vibrations (from Good vibrations)

5. My One And Only Love (from Good vibrations)

6. Plenty, Plenty Blues (from Broadway)

7. Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me (from Good vibrations)

8. Groove's Groove (from Blues all day long)

9. Where Or When (from Shippin' out)

10. Blues All Day Long (from Blues all day long)

Not a dud among them! But there wasn't a dud among any of the 4 albums anyway. So you couldn't pick a bad compilation, however hard you tried. So if you find any of the originals, you can buy with confidence. But in the meantime, buy this with confidence. It is GOOD Groove!

MG

• 2 weeks later...

personally i think that Giants of the Organ: Live is the best record ever made. it's got Groove and Jimmy, 3 guitarists, a percussionist, a drummer, it was recorded to tape, it's live, and it sounds so damn dirty. (also: it is the first recorded instance of a jazz organist making a textural delay loop.) i am fairly certain i have worn out the MP3s i lovingly made of the record itself.

but if i were to choose a favourite GH-led record then i'd probably have to go with the After Hours reissue.

anyone here ever heard Swedish Lullabye? it's pretty wicked. especially when Groove takes a solo on the arpeggiator of his Korg Poly-61. all St Louis cats and it's practically a vanity pressing. very hot though.

anyone here ever heard Swedish Lullabye? it's pretty wicked. especially when Groove takes a solo on the arpeggiator of his Korg Poly-61. all St Louis cats and it's practically a vanity pressing. very hot though.

Very nice album. And the way they put "Killer Joe" together is wonderful. It's a whole level groovier than the version on "Blues all day long".

What does "practically a vanity pressing" mean?

MG

• 5 months later...

What does "practically a vanity pressing" mean?

well it was a kind of vanity pressing, for the producer. he thought that he was going to start a label, and this appears to be his first and only release under the "Sison" label.

apparently the saxophonist on that record still lives in STL, and plays out quite a bit. i need to go see him soon.

personally i think that Giants of the Organ: Live is the best record ever made. it's got Groove and Jimmy, 3 guitarists, a percussionist, a drummer, it was recorded to tape, it's live, and it sounds so damn dirty. (also: it is the first recorded instance of a jazz organist making a textural delay loop.) i am fairly certain i have worn out the MP3s i lovingly made of the record itself.

but if i were to choose a favourite GH-led record then i'd probably have to go with the After Hours reissue.

Suit & Tie Guy, I don't know who you are...but if you were a girl, I'd marry you. :g Couldn't agree more on all counts. And Swedish Lullabye..never heard it...but sounds awesome.

The Live At Paul's Mall was the first Groove and the first McGriff I ever heard. My dad had that record (now it's mine!) and I probably played Brown Bread so many times the damn record nearly fell apart.

I have a sealed copy that I got off ebay as well as that original one of my dad's. One of the guitarists on the record is Leon Cook, who sadly just passed away a few years ago. He lived in Toledo and I had the pleasure of playing with him in 2001 or 2002 at the now out-of-business Rusty's in Toledo. A very soulful player (played like Wes, all thumb), great musician, and extremely beautiful human being. His son Damon is an excellant drummer in Toledo.

Guest donald petersen

there is a groove holmes on flying dutchman that sounds pretty cool.

has maybe an african name?

i heard he plays some synths tastefully.

it's expensive when i have seen it though, on LP.

My dad likes to tell me the story about seeing Groove in Lansing at the old Tropicana in the 70s. He was there for a week (or maybe two week) stint and my dad went to see him every night. He said his B3 was so beat-up it looked like beavers had gnawed on it, but it and Groove sounded great!

... or at least that little lass in the avatar bath. :g

• 2 weeks later...

Suit & Tie Guy, I don't know who you are...but if you were a girl, I'd marry you. :g Couldn't agree more on all counts. And Swedish Lullabye..never heard it...but sounds awesome.

"Swedish lullaby" is a fine album. It has Groove's best recording of "Killer Joe" - the rhythm is so much more punchy than on the one he did on "Blues all day long" a few years later for Muse. And the sax player - Willie Akins - was a real discovery. A very good album to find; one of my favourite Groove's.

MG

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...