Jazz For Children 1

This morning I happened to notice a review in the Houston Chronicle of these two books for children that have jazz as their subject. I am tempted to buy them as a gift for potential future grandkids ... This can't but help be a sign of something good for the future of the music.

This morning I happened to notice a review in the Houston Chronicle of these two books for children that have jazz as their subject. I am tempted to buy them as a gift for potential future grandkids ... This can't but help be a sign of something good for the future of the music.

Here is the second book:

Edited by garthsj

Just don't ever get a kid the Wynton Marsalis 'jazz for kids' book, or whatever he calls it, unless you want the kid to grow up with a totally warped sense of life.

I perused this at a bookstore after I became aware of its existence. It's unbelievable the dreck that creep is trying to peddle to young minds. This book was the final vindication (as if I needed any) that WM is a total fraud.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

0531330575.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

this is a great one ... written in a wack time signature prose thing....

now see he has done another...

0689845987.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1114055898_.jpg

great work!

Mysterious Thelonious is really excellent. The illustrations and setting of the words mimic the see-sawing motion of Monk's Mysterioso perfectly. (As an aside, for years I've imagined Mysterioso as the theme song for a really hip and twisted television kiddie show.)

I haven't seen the Coltrane book, but Raschka also wrote and illustrated a book called Charlie Parker Played Bebop which I have seen and which did not impress me in the same way as the Thelonious book.

I notice that he's also worked on a book about Armstrong.

I think young kids would "get" Ayler before most parents. :)

I remember in my senior year in high school a girlfriend who had no jazz background whatsoever. We were in a record store listening booth, and I put on Ornette's "Free," which was pretty much brand-new and about which I, the young know it all, was still dubious. She got it immediately.

Or if you want to insure your kid doesn't turn out like all the others there is...

Always curious I dropped Nuits de La Fondation Maeght, Vol. 2 on the turntable and asked my 5 year old for her critical opinion. "I think I like Joan Jett better" :lol: She has a soft spot for the chick rockers, le tigre, sleater kinney ect... that's her mothers influence.

Related question:

Anyone know of any good beginner jazz piano books? I mean REAL simple, for my 7 yr old daughter who has one year of lessons under her belt.

My buddy teaches strings in elementary schools and he has them play Watermelon Man and a few other jazz tunes. (Better than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for the 10000th time!)

Or if you want to insure your kid doesn't turn out like all the others there is...

Always curious I dropped Nuits de La Fondation Maeght, Vol. 2 on the turntable and asked my 5 year old for her critical opinion. "I think I like Joan Jett better" :lol: She has a soft spot for the chick rockers, le tigre, sleater kinney ect... that's her mothers influence.

Wrong record. :g

I have found that Don Carter's "Heaven's All Star Jazz Band" really appeals to children. It is a story about how a much beloved deceased grandfather must be hanging out in heaven with his jazz favorites.

0375915710.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Need any more proof that jazz is dead? :g:g:g

Seriously, that's a depressing (dare I say sick?) way to get kids into jazz. "Hey kids, listen to all the dead folks. You'll love it!" :blink::blink:

Then again, the truth hurts...

But the again again, I'd like to see Braxton do a kids book. That would be fun!