John Coltrane - First Giant Steps

Soulstation1

There's no "Giant Steps" on here. It's Trane w/his Navy band, and the results are strictly for scholars and/or fanatics only.

The Hodges stuff is really cool in its own way, but again, mainly for scholars and/or fanatics.

Also - this stuff has been circulating among collectors long enough that you shouldn't have to get it from a straightup bootleg label, through emusic or otherwise.

That reminds me of another early Trane record I've tried to locate for some time:

Coltrane 1951 on Oberon 5100 (another gray label, I know...)

featuring 1951 airshots by the Dizzy Gillespie orchestra (with young Trane on Tenor and soloing here and there it seems).

I am trying to get this mainly for Diz's bebop band but hearing a glimpse of early Trane would be nice from a historical point of view too.

Any copies for sale out there anywhere or is the material included on this LP available on any other reissues too?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Anyone who has heard this stuff wouldn't pay a nickel for it. There's not enough time to listen to all the good music. This stuff is just really, really bad - Trane was a terrible player in this period. It's unfortunate this stuff gets released, but some will pay for it I guess.

I find it interesting to track the development of Coltrane; how someone who was "a terrible player" turned into one of the greatest musicians on the 20th centuary. Not the standard thing for a musician in any genre, is it?

Anyone who has heard this stuff wouldn't pay a nickel for it. There's not enough time to listen to all the good music. This stuff is just really, really bad - Trane was a terrible player in this period. It's unfortunate this stuff gets released, but some will pay for it I guess.

I find it interesting to track the development of Coltrane; how someone who was "a terrible player" turned into one of the greatest musicians on the 20th centuary. Not the standard thing for a musician in any genre, is it?

I guess you've never tried to play an instrument.

Musicians don't just pick up an instrument and become great overnight - it takes years of hard work to get there. Great musicians are 20% talent and 80% hard work, and Coltrane was no exception, indeed, it actually tok him longer to really get there - he only really become a great, or even very good player in his 30's - even his early to mid 50's stuff shows him struggling with intonation and his conception, which was far from fluid. Once he got it together, he took off. He was practicing upwards of 8 hours a day to do it.

It most definitely IS the standard thing for every player in every genre. They all start out as terrible players.

I think that all of Coltrane's work in the late 1940s--early 1950s era is not of much interest, whether with Dizzy or Hodges.

What is interesting to me is the degree to which Coltrane improved. It is relatively common to hear improvements in most jazz artists with a recording career, from their earliest recordings to a later date. However, Coltrane's improvement is much more dramatic than with many other musicians.

That reminds me of another early Trane record I've tried to locate for some time:

featuring 1951 airshots by the Dizzy Gillespie orchestra (with young Trane on Tenor and soloing here and there it seems).

I am trying to get this mainly for Diz's bebop band but hearing a glimpse of early Trane would be nice from a historical point of view too.

Any copies for sale out there anywhere or is the material included on this LP available on any other reissues too?

This was, uh, shared, a while back on dimeadozen.org. Should check it out.

This was, uh, shared, a while back on dimeadozen.org. Should check it out.

I would, but I'm not so sure about the relative ethical economics.

I would, but I'm not so sure about the relative ethical economics.

I'm fairly certain that Trane's relatives aren't seeing a dime... -_-

On the other hand, this stuff isn't of high enough quality to likely ever see a legit release.

Well, there goes that Uptown Johnny Hodges issue. :mellow:

Would you at least burn me a copy? ;)