John Coltrane - First Giant Steps

Soulstation1

I would, but I'm not so sure about the relative ethical economics.

I'm fairly certain that Trane's relatives aren't seeing a dime... -_-

On the other hand, this stuff isn't of high enough quality to likely ever see a legit release.

Well, there goes that Uptown Johnny Hodges issue. :mellow:

Would you at least burn me a copy? ;)

No, but if you come by my house I'll play an hour + of this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

That reminds me of another early Trane record I've tried to locate for some time:

Coltrane 1951 on Oberon 5100 (another gray label, I know...)

featuring 1951 airshots by the Dizzy Gillespie orchestra (with young Trane on Tenor and soloing here and there it seems).

I am trying to get this mainly for Diz's bebop band but hearing a glimpse of early Trane would be nice from a historical point of view too.

Any copies for sale out there anywhere or is the material included on this LP available on any other reissues too?

This was, uh, shared, a while back on dimeadozen.org. Should check it out.

I would, but I'm not so sure about the relative ethical economics.

I am surprised that they are releasing the Navy recordings before these airshots. This music is actually quite good, and in fairly good sound.

That reminds me of another early Trane record I've tried to locate for some time:

featuring 1951 airshots by the Dizzy Gillespie orchestra (with young Trane on Tenor and soloing here and there it seems).

I am trying to get this mainly for Diz's bebop band but hearing a glimpse of early Trane would be nice from a historical point of view too.

Any copies for sale out there anywhere or is the material included on this LP available on any other reissues too?

This was, uh, shared, a while back on dimeadozen.org. Should check it out.

Speaking of Dime, there's a twelve cd set up with Coltrane concerts. I would download, but I have to figure out how to burn bittorrent to cd.

Another one from the grey market (most surely Boris Rose origin). But it comes with a yellow-tinted front cover and a pink-tinted back cover plus blue record labels.

RLR88620.jpg

emusic has this new 2 disc set...

any word on this set?

:cool:

First, the date on this is August 1963. The listing is in Fujioka, p. 226, where the date is given as "63-0700". This date is wrong. Coltrane was not at the Showboat in July 1963.

Second, it was recorded by Allan Sukoenig.

Third, a copy resides at the Institute of Jazz Studies on the Newark campus of Rutgers University.

Fourth, the entire tape was played during the WKCR Coltrane marathon in, I believe, 2005 (2004?). A number of people taped it and it has been in circulation ever since.

Fifth, the sound quality is only fair.

Finally, the version of "Impressions" is about 35 minutes and it is outstanding...noticeably different from the various versions from the 1963 European tour.

• 16 years later...

I'm surprised at how little love for this record there is upthread. I found everything about it fascinating. 

Obviously, it isn't the world's best music, but it's interesting to hear the navy band. Coltrane is still recognisable even if he sounds nothing like himself. And they're playing Bird and Tadd Dameron tunes even at that very early stage. 

And then for the later session, you get to hear Coltrane playing for dancers, including the R&B tenor on Castle Rock.