Tim Hagans's Animation does Bitches Brew, live

Guy Berger

I'm tempted to go. For those more familiar with these musicians -- is this going to be good? If so, would NY-area board members be interested in meeting up for this?

No other record in jazz history sparked more debate than Miles Davis's infamous Bitches Brew. Now almost four decades after its original release, musicians and critics cannot deny its far-reaching influence, especially upon soprano saxophonist and Sunnyside recording artist Bob Belden, who leads Animation in a live rendering of the Miles Davis masterpiece from side A to side B. Animation features Tim Hagans, Scott Kinsey, Matt Garrison, Bill Laswell, Billy Kilson, Guy Licata and DJ Logic. Teo Macero, who produced the original Bitches Brew session, joins the proceedings.

I'd check this concert out in a second if I could. I heard Hagans and Kinsey last summer and dug it alot.

I feel that Hagans could easily be the most logical extension of Miles, especially of that period. His projects with Kinsey and Beldon seem to always have that adventurous lean to my ears.

Have great fun!

This was a very good show. The band was Bob Belden (soprano), Tim Hagans (electric trumpet), Scott Kinsey (keyboards), Matthew Garrison (electric bass guitar & electric standup bass), Guy Licata (drums) and DJ Logic (turntables). They did the entire BB album, with "Spanish Key" to 5th place instead of 3rd.

Highlights for me were "Pharoah's Dance", "Spanish Key" and "Sanctuary". During some of the tracks, the band "updated" the rhythms to more modern drum'n'bass and hip hop grooves, and this usually worked very well. At the best moments, the band also captured some of the turbulent textural density that characterizes this album. They also get points for not copying the album. Hagans was excellent on trumpet.

My biggest beef was with Belden -- he just wasn't effective as a saxophonist. I'm not sure if it was an off night or what, but his playing did only a little for me. (He did do a very nice "mellow" 70s Wayne Shorter, but Wayne also had an edge playing this music that Belden didn't.)

I also had the pleasure of meeting Dmitry and his wife before the show!

Guy

My biggest beef was with Belden -- he just wasn't effective as a saxophonist. I'm not sure if it was an off night or what, but his playing did only a little for me. (He did do a very nice "mellow" 70s Wayne Shorter, but Wayne also had an edge playing this music that Belden didn't.)

I also had the pleasure of meeting Dmitry and his wife before the show!

Guy

yeah, it was nice to hook up with you and your bud Sam the knowledge man. I managed to squeeze out an Omnitone cd out of that rotting carcas of a Tower's Final Sale.

I think what we might be missing here re:Belden, is that he was very sparcely amplified comparing to the rest of the band. I kinda wanted to hear more of what he'd played. I hope they master it well and release an audiophile vinyl of this one. I think they were recording it. :tup

I'd go and see this band again in a heartbeat, warts and all.

ANIMATION: "Bitches Brew"

December 9, 2006

Merkin Hall, NYC

TIM HAGANS-trumpet

BOB BELDEN-soprano sax

SCOTT KINSEY-keyboards

MATTHEW GARRISON-bass

GUY LICATA-drums

DJ LOGIC-turntables

Video for Bob Belden by Fabian Ortiz

PHAROAH'S DANCE

BITCHES BREW