My Mystery Photos

marcello

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crazy sandal clogs on George Adams!!... i've meant to do this for years but never did-- were Studio Rivbea gigs advertised in any way besides flyers? i've come across repros of gig flyers from various fugitive rock clubs of the just post-loft era but haven't seen much from the early-mid '70s.

c

I believe there might have been a regular posting in the Voice.

That street (Bond Street?) was totally deserted at night. Desolate. Now there is probably a Gap there!

crazy sandal clogs on George Adams!!... i've meant to do this for years but never did-- were Studio Rivbea gigs advertised in any way besides flyers? i've come across repros of gig flyers from various fugitive rock clubs of the just post-loft era but haven't seen much from the early-mid '70s.

c

I believe there might have been a regular posting in the Voice.

That street (Bond Street?) was totally deserted at night. Desolate. Now there is probably a Gap there!

There were also some listings in the Times as seen in these assorted "Events Today" notices from 1973 and 74

Marcello, you could Email all the Studio Rivbea photos to rivbea@earthlink.net and ask for help with identifying the musicians. That's Sam Rivers and his people's Email address. I hope it works. Let us know what you find out! Attached is a Frank Rubolino photo of Sam Rivers taken at Vision Festival 'O5, NYC; the following year, Sam received the Vision Festival's Lifetime Recognition Award.

Edited by musicmargaret

Marcello, you could Email all the Studio Rivbea photos to rivbea@earthlink.net and ask for help with identifying the musicians. That's Sam Rivers and his people's Email address. I hope it works. Let us know what you find out! Attached is a Frank Rubolino photo of Sam Rivers taken at Vision Festival 'O5, NYC; the following year, Sam received the Vision Festival's Lifetime Recognition Award.

Sure, no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone has been identified in the Studio Rivbea photos in this thread. The photos with Parker are: Jemeel Moondoc, Arthur Williams and Rashid Bakr.

That last photo with Sam Rivers is Joe Daley on tuba. I sent him a copy.

These other two played with Hannibal Marvin Perterson's Sunrise Orchestra; July 1976.

Everyone has been identified in the Studio Rivbea photos in this thread. The photos with Parker are: Jemeel Moondoc, Arthur Williams and Rashid Bakr.

That last photo with Sam Rivers is Joe Daley on tuba. I sent him a copy.

These other two played with Hannibal Marvin Perterson's Sunrise Orchestra; July 1976.

<< >>< >< >< ><><

I'm wondering if the bassist with the Afro could be Steve Neil, who played in some of Hannibal's groups. These days he looks like this:

They sure look the same. He's someone I'm not familar with.

I believe Steve Neil was from Dayton, Ohio and is mostly known for playing bass with Pharoah Sanders; he can be heard on Pharoah's albums "Pharoah" on India Navigation #1027 ('76) and "Message from Home" on Verve #314 529 578 ('95). He also played in at least one of Hannibal Marvin Peterson Lokumbe's groups in the '7O's, as you know, and is said to have worked with Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Yusef Lateef, and McCoy Tyner as well. In recent years Steve has recorded with Carl Grubbs, Frank Lowe, and Sonny Simmons on CIMP (see www.cimprecords.com/artists/?artist=Steve+Neil).

Steve lived in Africa for a while and came to the New York area, living in Brooklyn for a few years perhaps 15 years ago, which is when I knew him, and at that time he was playing bass and almost any other instrument he could get his hands on, including saxophones and African instruments. Sometimes he'd turn up in a small club on the lower East Side of Manhattan that isn't there any more and would play with a group of very young musicians of the time named Brian Settles (tenor saxophone), Dave Minasian (trombone), Andrew Bemkey (keyboard at that time, now piano and bass clarinet), and Chad Taylor or Jeremy Carlstedt (drums). This very young band, led by Andrew Bemkey, was called Kin*Ship, and that ship had an inspired and brilliant crew of young brothers indeed. A couple of these youngsters shared their Brooklyn apartment with Steve Neil and also an African guitarist[?]. I'm sure you've heard of Andrew and Chad since then, but maybe not the others.

A couple of members of the Kin*Ship crew who were students at the New School jazz program helped bring Steve Neil onto the teaching staff there, but that was a short-lived situation. Steve ran into some other problems here too and left New York, surfacing later on in the Boston area. I think he's still there now, and I'm checking to see what he's doing these days and whether I can gather any more biographical information.

Steve Neil was then and no doubt still is a phenomenal musician.

Edited by musicmargaret

thanks for the info, Margaret! also saw Henry has a gig w/Cecil upcoming-- will there be more?

c

Hey, Tom, sorry for addressing you by your last name before, Marcello; I just found out about the Tom!

C, thanks for asking about the great Henry Grimes. I suppose this thread should appear somewhere else on Organissimo, but after 4O years apart, Henry played in Cecil Taylor's trio with Pheeroan akLaff in three sensational concerts last October (one at Jackie McLean's music center in Hartford and two at the Iridium Jazz Club in New York City), and the next two concerts will be at Lincoln Center here in New York on March 9th and 1Oth:

The Cecil Taylor trio (the new AHA 3) w/ Henry Grimes and Pheeroan akLaff; also John Zorn with Dave Douglas, Greg Cohen, and Joey Baron (Masada), at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Rose Theatre, Broadway at 6Oth St., New York City, 8 p.m., 212-546-2656, www.lincolncenter.org, www.jalc.org/concerts/details.asp?EventID=952,

tickets from the site, at the Rose Hall box office at 6Oth St. and Broadway, or from CenterCharge, 212-721-65OO.

And we certainly hope for many, many more!

There's lots more Henry Grimes news at www.henrygrimes.com, and in particular, click on the "schedule" button.

Here's a photo of Henry playing violin, which he's been doing to great effect in concert for about a year now. Violin was his first instrument as a schoolboy, but he's never owned one before. One day he mentioned that he wished he could play violin again, so of course that was his birthday gift in 'O4, and he's been playing it for three or four hours a day ever since! The photo was taken by Mark Sheldon in Chicago, 'O6:

Well, Lazaro can tell you about it!

Edited by musicmargaret

P.S., Tom Marcello, thank you so much for posting these classic photos here and on Flickr, and I hope you have thousands more to share with us, rather than "scores!"

You know, I should change my name here, but when I signed on I didn't realize what I was doing!

There will ,be about 1200 - 1400 images in total, all from the 1975 - 1979 peroid. After that I thought that taking pictures was getting in the way of enjoying the music.

Some of the photos are of:

Anthony Braxton

Phil Woods

Gillespie

Gene Burtoncini

Michael More

Kenny Burrell

Jimmy Owens

Frank Wess

Mary Osbourn

Vi Redd

Woody Shaw