Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

shortercompletecover.jpg

I'm sure this was discussed elsewhere but is there any extra/unreleased material here and how is the sound compared to the original LPs. Weighing the investment based on whether my LPs are good enough; quality remastering can make a big difference with Wayne's "non-acoustic" music.

Edit to add: OK, found previous thread. See that there appears to be two discs of Weather Report material of solely Wayne's material. Still interested if there's any unreleased stuff from the four other albums, plus, of course, a verdict on the sound ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

No new material, sound is fine for me, but I'm listening "ambiently" while I work, albeit at a fairly loud level.

However - Native Dancer has been remastered with significant improvement, plus - it's easier to put CDs on an iPod than it is LPs.

Plus - the "all of Wayne's WR Compositions" cassette mixtape I threatened to do, like, 15 years ago never quite got off the ground, so this fixes that, or would, if I could fit the CDs into a Walkman. But life goes on.

Cost...should not be a factor under "ordinary circumstances". 6 CDs for as low as $24.76 here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005LY3VIS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

No new material, sound is fine for me, but I'm listening "ambiently" while I work, albeit at a fairly loud level.

However - Native Dancer has been remastered with significant improvement, plus - it's easier to put CDs on an iPod than it is LPs.

Plus - the "all of Wayne's WR Compositions" cassette mixtape I threatened to do, like, 15 years ago never quite got off the ground, so this fixes that, or would, if I could fit the CDs into a Walkman. But life goes on.

Cost...should not be a factor under "ordinary circumstances". 6 CDs for as low as $24.76 here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005LY3VIS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks for the summary. I've grown to really like these records; I will say that hearing Wayne play some of this material live in Chicago at the end of 1985 at the Jazz Showcase remains some of the most memorable music I've ever heard. He was really on the night I was there, and played very long solos (much different than today when it's lots of bob and weave). Of course, he needed to play long solos, because that particular band didn't have much to add beyond laying down the beat and handling the complex written material. But when I was there, it really felt like Wayne was enjoying the freedom of really stretching after all those years in WR.

Edited by Mark Stryker

I bought the final Bill Evans VV performances, Turn Out the Stars yesterday after holding out for how many years? From the first notes I knew it was going to be special. I've only heard the first two discs so far but I'm looking forward to hearing it all at some point. So far I have to say I prefer it to The Last Waltz, the Keystone Korner residencey a few months later. It has better sound and the performances so far are just a wee bit more inspired. That venue seems to draw out the best in anyone who's called it home.

51AnBtBj7mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

From Spirituals to Swing (Vanguard), disc one. Mitchell's Christian Singers, who have about seven and a half minutes of music here, are one of my favorite gospel groups of all time. And that's based on only hearing these tracks and six more minutes - I have one worn 78 by them, on the Perfect label.

Spotify has a 4 disc box set from them. It looks like ALL of those 'Document' blues/roots sets are on Spotify.